REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   EM1 Civic SiR (https://www.revscene.net/forums/622619-em1-civic-sir.html)

dachinesedude 08-18-2010 09:45 AM

EM1 Civic SiR

Those who are owning one or have owned one, how often have you had it broken into/stolen? I'm planning to get one, but the car being 1st and 2nd for the past 5 years on the "top 10 most stolen cars" have made me think otherwise.

Remove stickers, SiR badge, install an immobilizer maybe?

Fobman 08-18-2010 12:26 PM

just don't rice it out

kokanee_vtec 08-18-2010 01:23 PM

Pager alarm, immobilizer, and a club for the steering wheel.

-EuroRSN- 08-18-2010 01:43 PM

Civics are number one cause their so common and easy to break into! My old EG got broken into without even damaging anything, till this day i still have no idea how but you may wanna get a nice 2way compustar

spoon.ek9 08-19-2010 08:40 AM

the most stolen civic generally refers to the hatchbacks. especially 88-91 since the locks were so easy to pick.

like everyone else said, get compustar and don't park it in stupid places :D

crazyazn 08-19-2010 10:52 AM

You could also get a detachable steering wheel to further deter car thieves...

spoon.ek9 08-20-2010 10:25 PM

let's be honest here guys. if someone wants to steal your car badly enough, they will flat bed/tow it away. no amount of anti-theft can prevent that.

now you can either live your life in constant fear of having your shit stolen, or you can make smart choices and limit the risk.

ProjectCh3w 08-21-2010 08:49 AM

Just dont park it in surrey!

on the upside, its hella funn to drive and own 1 !!!!

turb0fr3ak 08-21-2010 11:42 AM

my brother was in the same boat as you, he wanted an SiR but did not want the hassle of getting stolen. so what he did instead was he got a ultra clean 99 civic si with high miles and did the following:

- 1999 Honda Civic Si coupe (found a very clean chassis with very high k's) $3000
- b18c 0bd2 complete swap (more torque and power) $3400 nagasaki motors
- SiR front grill and front lip (got those off a member here that has the same color) $300
- rear drum to disc swap (when to ralphs auto we took it off = more discount in price) $150
- replace si seats with USDM type-R seats (the stock seats felt like bench seats even the SiR seats too) $300
- and random parts to complete the project $500

all labour was done by friends and myself, and about 15 cases of beer, a few weekends and lots of chicken wings.

with this build not only your insurance will be cheaper than a standard SiR, it has more torque and power compare to a stock SiR

just wanted to share what my brother and i did.

SoulCrusher 08-21-2010 04:25 PM

Ive never had any such issues with my SIR.
Posted via RS Mobile

jcej8 09-12-2010 10:38 AM

Doesnt matter if its an em, ek or eg. they all get broken in to. its a civic. Its part of civic life hah. just do what everyone else says get a decent alarm with an immobilizer and dont make it look like its from fast and the furious and you shouldnt have many issues.

oldsnail 09-12-2010 02:10 PM

my ep3 SIR was broken into once.
stole my subscripted sunglasses and air freshener.
tried to steel my stock deck and damaged my bucket seats.

Lowered_Klass 09-12-2010 04:33 PM

We all know that Civics get stolen a lot, but you're missing what he's asking.

Both the 1999 and 2000 SiR are on ICBC's most stolen list. Seperately.

If it were me, I would do something like what turb0 suggested. Buy a clean, base model Civic, and swap in the motor of your choice. Make your own Sir :thumbsup:

Might be worth phoning an insurance place and finding out the difference in insurance between a '99/'00 SiR and a lower model trim Civic like a DX or something.

!e.lo_ 09-12-2010 08:27 PM

My friend's '00 SiR was broken into, and the deck was stolen, damaged some of the dash trim. Stole some other random stuff too.

spoon.ek9 09-12-2010 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon_Fed (Post 7101858)
We all know that Civics get stolen a lot, but you're missing what he's asking.

Both the 1999 and 2000 SiR are on ICBC's most stolen list. Seperately.

If it were me, I would do something like what turb0 suggested. Buy a clean, base model Civic, and swap in the motor of your choice. Make your own Sir :thumbsup:

Might be worth phoning an insurance place and finding out the difference in insurance between a '99/'00 SiR and a lower model trim Civic like a DX or something.

the problem with this is thieves don't check VIN's before deciding to break into your car. if it LOOKS like an SIR, they'll be interested.

dinamix 09-13-2010 12:11 AM

get a quick release hub for steering wheels + hidden fuel pump kill switch + immobilzier

just dont leave valubles in your car. and dont park in shady spaces. get full coverage with theft.

done

http://www.causeforalarm.thecarthing...ill/index.html
http://img03.picoodle.com/img/img03/...2m_b303fda.jpg

dinamix 09-13-2010 12:13 AM

btw ...car thefts have been down since baitcar started.

most thefts are usually just crackheads looking for a change or a quick joyride. stay away from surrey

FishTaco 09-13-2010 12:31 AM

heres some things that may help:

dont promote what you have with decals on the car

dont make a "build" thread

when parking, open your glove box/arm rest/detach faceplate to show there is nothing hidden inside

"the club" is a good deterrent but is easily bypassed