REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   how long will ur shocks last with after market springs? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/622914-how-long-will-ur-shocks-last-after-market-springs.html)

lancergts1986 08-21-2010 09:39 PM

how long will ur shocks last with after market springs?

i know lots guys on revsene with their rides lowered with springs, if i lower my car 1.5" all around, how long would my shock last? i know its hard to come up with an exact time. so any feedbacks would be appreciated.

jing 08-21-2010 10:18 PM

Don't be a cheapass and do it right the first time

FN-2199 08-21-2010 10:19 PM

Would you be riding on stock shocks?
Posted via RS Mobile

lancergts1986 08-21-2010 10:27 PM

ya i will be riding on stock shocks, im thinking about getting after market shocks once my stock ones are blown.

FN-2199 08-21-2010 10:50 PM

If you don't have the money to do it all, then don't do it. Simple as that. We can't quite tell you how long your stock shocks will last, because we dont know how old they are and they're made for OEM height, so they definitely won't last long.
Posted via RS Mobile

lancergts1986 08-22-2010 12:10 AM

my car has 40k right now, i know bunch of people with the same car i have and running on after market springs with stock shocks, and none of them had a problem yet, i was hoping it would last another 3 to 4 years since i drive barely 12k a year.

bcrdukes 08-22-2010 12:22 AM

Depends what kind of springs you are getting and how much lower the springs will drop the car. For something like 1"-2" you should for the most part be okay. Anything beyond that (even 2" is pushing it) it would be highly recommended you get a well proven shock and spring combo for your car. Otherwise, as others have mentioned, don't bother doing it at all because anything beyond a 2" drop will likely affect the way your car sits, such as camber etc. And that in itself is another hefty financial setback to think about. Then again, if money is no matter, by all means, do as you please. :D :p

lancergts1986 08-22-2010 01:00 AM

the drop im getting is 1.2 inches on manufacture spec, but a few of my friends told me after thier springs have settled, it became more like a 1.5 inch drop. so i guess im not really doing that much of a drop.

Alphamale 08-22-2010 09:59 PM

Five hundred twenty-five thousand Six hundred minutes,
Five hundred twenty-five thousand Moments so dear.
Five hundred twenty-five thousand Six hundred minutes
How do you measure, measure a year?

In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights
In cups of coffee
In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife.

In five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes
How do you measure
A year in the life?

Mugen EvOlutioN 08-23-2010 08:44 PM

25,000 light years sir

newguyoz 09-15-2010 04:47 AM

depends what sort of road surfaces you drive on but probably around 60k miles on average. the performance of the shock will drop off after that even though they may not be totally blown.
If you can afford it, get some shocks with the springs. then at least you can enjoy your car handling well from the start. Lowered springs with standard shocks always result in a bumpy boaty ride. because the shocks cannot control the stiffer spring rate.

!Yaminashi 09-15-2010 09:54 AM

There really is no set time when it comes to springs on stock struts. Some people can drive around on them for years, some for 6 months. It all depends on your driving habits, your area etc..

I'd suggest saving the $ to buy a set of aftermarket struts then do it all at once.
Why pay/take hours out of your day twice when you dont have to?

Fobman 09-15-2010 12:51 PM

mine lasted 4 yrs and still nothing wrong with it but i changed it anyways to tokikos

jeffwilliams17 09-15-2010 01:09 PM

I dropped my integra 1.75" in front and 1.5" in the rear and am still using the stock shocks and struts. Been about 40k kms so far. I drive pretty hard and all the roads in my area are pretty beat up. I've had no issues so far but still want to upgrade the shocks soon. I would suggest waiting until you can afford both springs and shocks. Cause they will eventually blow. Might as well do it at the same time and save on labor.
Posted via RS Mobile

angus 09-30-2010 06:00 AM

It really depends on what car it is, on a honda you could use lowering springs and probably the stock shocks will last forever, while some other cars might not do as well.

RollingStone 10-18-2010 01:23 PM

I lowered my car w/ Tien Sport springs/stock shocks 7 years ago on my (then new) 03 Accord Coupe. Still rides great! :D

JordanLee 10-18-2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 7078119)
25,000 light years sir

^That's a distance. Not a time. Lol...

WTMFBBQ 10-27-2010 09:34 PM

I lowered my civic 1.5" on H&R springs with stock suspension, put on about 60,000 km over 3 years with them and they just started to leak so I'll be replacing my shocks soon. The ride is pretty rough on stock springs but if you don't mind just run them until you have enough for after market shocks as others suggested. If you get your oil changed at the dealership just ask them each time to check the shocks for leaks and when they do start leaking it's time for new shocks!