REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   hood dampers on cf hood? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/623288-hood-dampers-cf-hood.html)

Mugen EvOlutioN 08-26-2010 10:14 AM

hood dampers on cf hood?

anyone running tein hood dampers on their cf hood? thoughts? reviews?

im getting mixed review, some say only uses on stock oem hood but some did not have any problems running an aftermarket hood damper on their cf hood..

TEIN damper/NRG damper? anyone?

i know password jdm can release the gas pressure, but one time only. so if you are changing back to oem hood...well u are hooped

PK-EK 08-26-2010 11:04 AM

NRG makes hood struts for CF hoods or OEM hoods
Shun Suziki has the NRG carbon fiber ones on his CF hood and it works great, they don't shoot it up or anything

from my understanding, Tein only makes them for OEM hoods.

NRG or PWJDM for CF

Shun Izaki 08-26-2010 01:07 PM

NRG-CF hood dampers...i'm running both, no extra pressure or anything. Got a wicked deal on them, and sold my old OEM hood dampers out.

Tein does only make for OEM hoods IIRC.

If you plan on using hood struts made for OEM hood on CF, be VERY careful, and use one only. I used two, because I always had two people to help close it.

HondaGuy 08-26-2010 01:52 PM

Mugen Evolution: I ordered a set of dampers for my vehicle too...Sokie Tech, however most ppl tell me that because the CF hood is so light, that when you release the hatch the damper might spring up too fast...causing the hood to fly upwards。

But I see many local tuners using them and says its fine.

ivys2k 08-26-2010 01:54 PM

Hey you should try science of speed hood damper. They are very good.

Rich Sandor 08-26-2010 03:12 PM

The problem with CF hoods is that not all of them are reinforced in the area where the hood shocks go. Some guys build metal plates into the CF hood where the hood shocks are supposed to go, so you can use OEM shocks, although with the lighter weight, you can get away with just one shock, or two that are lighter duty. Research this before you buy. I think it depends more on the hood itself than whatever shocks you may be using.

Shun Izaki 08-26-2010 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HondaGuy (Post 7081512)
Mugen Evolution: I ordered a set of dampers for my vehicle too...Sokie Tech, however most ppl tell me that because the CF hood is so light, that when you release the hatch the damper might spring up too fast...causing the hood to fly upwards。

But I see many local tuners using them and says its fine.

sokie tech was OK to be honest, i just didn't like how it actually (on some of our cars) didn't line up, and scratched the fender BARELY on it's way down, and the mounts for the hood-side were just garbage...

as soon as I went NRG-CF (made for CF). I was so happy with the amount of gas-charge, and all that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor (Post 7081593)
The problem with CF hoods is that not all of them are reinforced in the area where the hood shocks go. Some guys build metal plates into the CF hood where the hood shocks are supposed to go, so you can use OEM shocks, although with the lighter weight, you can get away with just one shock, or two that are lighter duty. Research this before you buy. I think it depends more on the hood itself than whatever shocks you may be using.

using one for me is kinda useless, since if it's open for long periods of time (to work on the car or whatever) then it's still going to be flexed.., which is worse on cf hoods imo.

Mugen EvOlutioN 08-26-2010 07:44 PM

jay where did u get urs? how much?

i see NRG listed for about $160

i can get TEINS for about $160 ish taxes in

but not gonna get teins since like everyone said its for OEM model only

NRG has two models, one for OE and one for lightweight engine hood.

password jdm is the cheapest for about $110 but not sure if im feeling 100% by venting some of the gas pressure myself

Shun Izaki 08-26-2010 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 7081934)

password jdm is the cheapest for about $110 but not sure if im feeling 100% by venting some of the gas pressure myself

honestly, $160 is about right.

I actually got mine for $130 used from some guy on CRSX, but he test fit it once, he has an OE hood, and he bought the wrong one.

That being said... go with these, i'm super happy, and they do my BC vented hood some justice!

Mugen EvOlutioN 08-26-2010 08:22 PM

cool good deal

he bought the wrong one as in he bought the one thats meant to go on a cf one? :thumbsup:

spoon.ek9 08-26-2010 10:37 PM

my friend's ek hb with cf hood was using tein dampers, i'd probably go with something specific for cf to be safe.

Shun Izaki 08-27-2010 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 7081974)
cool good deal

he bought the wrong one as in he bought the one thats meant to go on a cf one? :thumbsup:

yeah, haha, in NRG site you can order the CF or OEM hood one. He ordered the CF one (because the CF one also has a CF body, not just stickered) for some reason, and it wouldn't even hold up his stock hood... (or for that matter, mine)

Mugen EvOlutioN 08-27-2010 08:57 AM

lol lucky bastard

my fucking hood is hard to close now due to new intake manifold, the stupid stock hood damper is in the way

PK-EK 08-27-2010 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 7081934)

the pet peeve that i have about the NRG ones is that they don't really lift the hood up, they just keep it open..... But the PW:JDM ones you can control the gas pressure so you can make it a little stronger than the NRG ones.

Goodluck!

I want a RBC.....
Boost is gay!
Just my $0.02

Shun Izaki 08-27-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 7082463)
lol lucky bastard

my fucking hood is hard to close now due to new intake manifold, the stupid stock hood damper is in the way

intake manifold goes that high?... and i ripped out my stock hood prop... it's useless anyways.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PK-EK (Post 7082489)
the pet peeve that i have about the NRG ones is that they don't really lift the hood up, they just keep it open..... But the PW:JDM ones you can control the gas pressure so you can make it a little stronger than the NRG ones.

Goodluck!

I want a RBC.....
Boost is gay!
Just my $0.02

uhh... it does lift the hood, from a certain point, you don't want it to lift as soon as you unlatch it... then it would be stressing the hood

PK-EK 08-27-2010 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shun Izaki (Post 7082570)
intake manifold goes that high?... and i ripped out my stock hood prop... it's useless anyways.

uhh... it does lift the hood, from a certain point, you don't want it to lift as soon as you unlatch it... then it would be stressing the hood

You had your Hood prop still in your engine bay for the longest time....
you just recently did it cuz you were doing your mad tight install in your car...

it feels too weak to me....

Shun Izaki 08-27-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PK-EK (Post 7082629)
You had your Hood prop still in your engine bay for the longest time....
you just recently did it cuz you were doing your mad tight install in your car...

it feels too weak to me....

What can I say... was lazy, and didn't have a flat head to pry the rubber ring off LOL. Speaking of which, you need to order more flatheads for the shop... we've lost them all!