REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Reckless/dangerous drivers on the street (https://www.revscene.net/forums/623571-reckless-dangerous-drivers-street.html)

Shorn 08-30-2010 06:40 PM

Reckless/dangerous drivers on the street

we've probably all seen them.. those crazy bastards ripping it down the road with no regards for anyone else and cutting people off dangerously. my question is can this be reported and maybe have the police be on the lookout for them? i was on marine drive going on knight bridge today and saw this chevy equinox screaming random shit at random cars, obviously drunk and they were driving fast and swerving etc etc. i was on the verge of calling the cops but decided not to do 911 cause i didnt know if this actually was considered an emergency, but i didnt know the non-emergency number either. haha.

winson604 08-30-2010 07:27 PM

Yes you can report these when you see it. The non Emergency number is 604-717-3321. Sure this isn't a murder or a B&E in progress we are talking about here but a driver who might be drunk driving like an idiot is still an emergency I would say so don't feel bad if you need to just dial 911.

ninjatune 08-30-2010 09:52 PM

That situation would warrant a call to 9-1-1. It is not against the law to drive and talk on your phone if its to 9-1-1. In this situation you should follow the vehicle at a distance if you can do it safely. That way you can provide updates to dispatch rather than reporting the last known direction of travel. Otherwise with a time delay, they almost always get away.

gars 08-30-2010 10:12 PM

Definitely call 911. If they get enough calls about a certain car, and there is a squad car close by who isn't in the middle of another emergency, they will search for the car in the surrounding area. See if you can grab license plates as well, and a description of the car, that really helps.

Quicksilver 08-31-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 7086523)
Definitely call 911. If they get enough calls about a certain car, and there is a squad car close by who isn't in the middle of another emergency, they will search for the car in the surrounding area. See if you can grab license plates as well, and a description of the car, AND DRIVER/PASSENGERS that really helps.

edit: fixed

TheNewGirl 08-31-2010 02:27 PM

A guy got pulled over (and arrested) infront of my work recently after someone reported him for reckless driving. The police were clearly waiting for him on our stretch of the Barnet and flagged him over when he got here, whipped out the breathalizer and into the cop car he went.

I would totally recommend a call if you suspect a drunk driver. That person could kill or seriously harm someone. If someone was walking through the mall drunkenly waving a loaded gun you would call the police. A drunk driver really isn't so terribly differant.