REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
ws6ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: ?
Posts: 4,338
Thanked 880 Times in 153 Posts
tip for takeout?

okay so my brother and I got into this thing about tipping for take out. I usually leave about a 25% tip when dining in just rounded so it can be a few % more or less but you get the idea. its not about being stingy at all but I just NEVER tip for take out. do you guys tip when you get take out? I usually just leave the tip section empty sign the receipt and leave. to me tipping for take out would be like tipping a cashier at save-on-foods for bagging my groceries....makes no sense
Advertisement
ws6ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:17 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: richmond
Posts: 2,518
Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
I used to tip $2 or so. But then I stopped tipping all together (take out). Just today I picked up some food, got my 40 cents change and left. I looked for a tip jar and there was none. And I figured saying "keep the change" on that amount is a bit insulting.

But ya, takeout = no tip.

If we start tipping during takeout it pretty much enforces the idea that you HAVE to tip at a restaurant.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 818
Thanked 709 Times in 216 Posts
i don't, because you're not really being served when you're ordering take out. if i'm eating in the restaurant, getting served + my drink refilled, all that good stuff then of course i'll tip.
__________________
I speak the truth, and nothin' but. If I am wrong, well then there is no right.

Rule 1: You do not talk about Fight Club. Rule 2: You do not talk about Fight Club.
v.Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35
Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
When I worked as a cashier at this restaurant, generally, customers that ordered take out does not tip... Except for those few rare ones(usually the regulars) that tip like 1 or 2bux..
Posted via RS Mobile
.darlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
bcrdukes
 
TOS'd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 9,056
Thanked 5,122 Times in 1,532 Posts
^ Yea if its a restaurant I usually go to and the people kinda know me. Then I'd leave the change or if the change is very little, I'd throw in a toonie or something. Other than that, no tip.
__________________
Posted from NE 1-J W Inglis Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
To quote the most misunderstood individual and figurehead on Revscene:

"I am a changed person."

- TOS'd
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:27 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
TheSalesman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: vancouver
Posts: 2,634
Thanked 153 Times in 90 Posts
I never tip for takeout.
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2010, 06:31 PM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
MR_BIGGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,530
Thanked 665 Times in 273 Posts
I've never tipped for takeout. There is no need, as they haven't really provided a service.
__________________
"A chicken crossing the street is poultry in motion"
MR_BIGGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:04 PM   #8
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
ShanghaiKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: GVRD
Posts: 1,100
Thanked 4,317 Times in 374 Posts
I have this dilemma all the time, but I guess it makes more sense not to? After all, getting takeout from a restaurant is pretty much the same as buying fast food, the server is simply acting as a cashier... and I suppose its the norm to typically not tip fast food cashiers?
ShanghaiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:06 PM   #9
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 1,171
Thanked 398 Times in 71 Posts
tip n. 1. A small sum of money given to someone for performing a service; a gratuity.

Handing you food is not actually considered performing a service.

/thread.
WHEYsted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:12 PM   #10
I want to be a person and not an icon.
 
Vale46Rossi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mugello
Posts: 4,173
Thanked 5,283 Times in 892 Posts
Hmm, I tip during takeout because for some reason it feels like its still a service to serve you and give you the menu and be nice.

Well also in my point of view if I was a server the most i will look forward to is the tip not the 8-10$ an hour.

But I also factor in that asian owned places keeps a big % of the tip where a Caucasian owned restaurant will split it with the other servers which seems more fair so I will usually tip more at a Caucasian owned restaurant
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:16 PM   #11
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
TRDood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: V
Posts: 7,848
Thanked 656 Times in 326 Posts
Nope.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:19 PM   #12
Hypa owned my ass at least once
 
winson604's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Vansterdam
Posts: 6,735
Thanked 1,071 Times in 519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post
Hmm, I tip during takeout because for some reason it feels like its still a service to serve you and give you the menu and be nice.

Well also in my point of view if I was a server the most i will look forward to is the tip not the 8-10$ an hour.

But I also factor in that asian owned places keeps a big % of the tip where a Caucasian owned restaurant will split it with the other servers which seems more fair so I will usually tip more at a Caucasian owned restaurant
Do you tip when you go to McDonalds or BK? I don't tip when I order take out and like others have said it's because they didn't "serve" you. I called or walked in, ordered, grabbed my shiet and left. The only "serving" they did was taking my order and handing me my food which is no different from McDonalds. Sometimes I'll tell them to keep the change even if it happens to be $1 or $2 though.
__________________
"back at the line to Babych.... LONG SHOT....Potvin had trouble with it....ADAM SHOOTS SCORES!!!!

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:35 PM   #13
I want to be a person and not an icon.
 
Vale46Rossi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mugello
Posts: 4,173
Thanked 5,283 Times in 892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Do you tip when you go to McDonalds or BK? I don't tip when I order take out and like others have said it's because they didn't "serve" you. I called or walked in, ordered, grabbed my shiet and left. The only "serving" they did was taking my order and handing me my food which is no different from McDonalds. Sometimes I'll tell them to keep the change even if it happens to be $1 or $2 though.
I do understand this part and it makes sense, but do McDonald workers get tip overall from the restaurant? Where a restaurant has tip added to their pay?

and I look at it as... depends what kind of service you get, McDonalds have terrible service because usually its high school students who are just doing this as a part time where servers a lot of time are out of highschool.

But in the end it depends where you get takeout like pearl castle compared to Glowbal or something like that.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:36 PM   #14
I want to be a person and not an icon.
 
Vale46Rossi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mugello
Posts: 4,173
Thanked 5,283 Times in 892 Posts
btw actually I have tipped at BK before because there is a tip line if you pay credit card.

if the meal is $5.32 I would just round it up to $6.00

and McDonalds no because paying by credit card does not require signing.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:38 PM   #15
I am grateful grapefruit
 
gars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,094
Thanked 831 Times in 392 Posts
I hate going to Karaoke here because they automatically assume they deserve a tip - even if you don't have any food or drinks. Sorry, but setting up a karaoke room does not mean I should tip you.
gars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:20 PM   #16
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
StealthFighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: smallville
Posts: 1,250
Thanked 638 Times in 176 Posts
^yeah karaoke places can suck it. they think they deserve tip.

but for takeout, no tip.
StealthFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:34 PM   #17
rebuild you say?
 
Not really racist!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,150
Thanked 3,532 Times in 1,172 Posts
Never, if you're gonna tip for take out might as well tip the people working at McDonalds that work hard and only make less than what they deserve
__________________

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:46 PM   #18
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Gnomes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,311
Thanked 609 Times in 187 Posts
I dont tip take out for the same reasons as above. I would hate it to see tipping in takeout to become a non-optional social gesture just like how so many things headed that direction
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
While driving yesterday I saw a banana peel in the road and instinctively swerved to avoid it...thanks Mario Kart.
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:49 PM   #19
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Jgresch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Maple Ridge
Posts: 4,430
Thanked 3,279 Times in 823 Posts
I don't tip someone for a job a can do myself, I can and do cut my own hair, I do however tip my neurologist, because I am unable to pulvarize my own kidney stones. (whoever sources quote gets a thanks)
Posted via RS Mobile
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2010, 09:52 PM   #20
Banned (BBM)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16,146
Thanked 627 Times in 368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
I hate going to Karaoke here because they automatically assume they deserve a tip - even if you don't have any food or drinks. Sorry, but setting up a karaoke room does not mean I should tip you.
never understood why karaoke deserves a fucking tip


i think 7 eleven cashier deserves a tip for getting me a hot dog and a pack of smoke


macdicks drive thru deserves a tip for bringing my food to the window so i can grab
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:59 PM   #21
rebuild you say?
 
Not really racist!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,150
Thanked 3,532 Times in 1,172 Posts
Karoke is pretty retarded..

Doesn't K-Mix recommend you to pay 10% tip or require you to or something. I think theres a paper taped on the front desk that says something on the lines of that
__________________

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:29 PM   #22
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Great68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Victoria
Posts: 8,510
Thanked 2,597 Times in 849 Posts
I wouldn't tip for takeout...

I mean the restaurant is already saving money by not having you take up a table and server's time for the meal...
__________________
1968 Mustang Coupe
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
1997 GMC Sonoma ZR2

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:16 PM   #23
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: vancouver
Posts: 1,613
Thanked 220 Times in 60 Posts
The reason I never tip on takeout is because at any legit restaurant the servers will not tip out based on take out orders. The managers will wave the amount off their of their final bill even if a server rings the order through on their account. I could partially understand if a server had to tip out on take out orders, but they don't, so their restaurant is essentially telling you do not tip.
rslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:56 AM   #24
VLS Moderator
 
Senna4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 16,343
Thanked 2,546 Times in 824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
I've never tipped for takeout. There is no need, as they haven't really provided a service.
Oh, so the hard working people in the kitchen did nothing? They just conjured your food by waving a magic wand?

I don't know about other places, but Japanese owned restaurants where I have worked gave about 30~35% of the tip to the kitchen staff.

Granted, I don't tip as much for take-out, but I will leave at least 10% when I do a take-out at my usual places.
__________________
2007 Volvo V50
Taken by ex: 2005 Toyota Prius.
R.I.P. 1997 Lexus ES300.
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:47 AM   #25
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: richmond
Posts: 2,518
Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
Oh, so the hard working people in the kitchen did nothing? They just conjured your food by waving a magic wand?

I don't know about other places, but Japanese owned restaurants where I have worked gave about 30~35% of the tip to the kitchen staff.

Granted, I don't tip as much for take-out, but I will leave at least 10% when I do a take-out at my usual places.
They are doing their job which they are getting paid for.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net