REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Hockey Stick Thread

Wanted to get other peoples opinions on sticks since i believe alot of people here actually play alot of ice hockey and hopefully everyone could review what they use and what not to get.

Ive been playing ice hockey in ice604 for 2 full years now. I play center and im a Goal Per Game player. My main shot is a wrist shot while i probably have the worst slap shot ever.

Reebok Talon Stick Datsyuk Curve 75 Flex
This is the first stick i bought ever and it was only $30 at The Hockey Shop. So i bought 2. I had really good wristshots with this stick and it was extremely durable not too heavy. To this day i still have both sticks still in tacked but the blade is basically chipping away. I wish i bought more of this stick

Reebok SicKick 2 8K Datsyuk Curve 75 Flex
My friends bought me this stick and it was actually a really good stick. Extremely light and my wrist shots improved and i was extremely accurate with them until this stick broke about 6-8 Games after. And alot of other people have said that this stick breaks pretty easily. If this stick was more durable would easily be one of my favorite sticks

Bauer Supreme One95 Malkin Curve 102 Flex
My older brother bought me this stick and he lives and dies by this one. He probably has the hardest shot on my team with this stick, really durable and really light. But me being more of a wrist shot guy, i kinda struggled to score goals with this stick. But i noticed that my slap shot drastically improved using this stick.

Bauer Vapor X-Rival Backstrom Curve 87 Flex
So i thought to myself, i scored alot more goals with the cheap ass sticks, so i saw this one at The Hockey Shop for $50 and thought to myself why not give it a try. It was heavier than the one95 but i did start scoring goals again but i did break it in my 2nd game during warmup practising a slapshot. THS game me a replacement stick and its been pretty decent ever since but i do feel like it could break on me at any time.

Im gonna start using my brothers Bauer Supreme One55 stick in the beginning of this upcoming season and see how that goes but if anyone has any suggestions to what stick i should buy next that would be awesome or curve/flex i should be using to improve my game it would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement

Last edited by RiceIntegraRS; 09-06-2010 at 12:26 PM.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
, I've used synergys for the last 9 years. With a few stealths here and there... I've tried a few reebok sticks bit they don't feel right to me. Currently using an s19 stealth 110 Sakic and it's perfect
Posted via RS Mobile
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I'm currently using Warrior AK27 87 flex with a One95 P92 pattern. I don't understand how many people I see are plating with such stiff shafts. The highest flex I've ever used is a 100 flex synergy years ago and I found it too stiff.

And the fact that Chara uses like a 130 with his size and strength, Ovechkin uses like a 85, and Brett Hull who had arguably one of the best one timers in his time, used something like a 65 flex.
riccof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

I use the Warrior Bentley. Imo, the best stick you can get for less than a $100. After a year of abuse, its still going well....even with a chipped bottom. Usually when OPS have chipped bottoms, it drastically starts effecting the durabilty of the blade.

Anyways, the one brand of sticks that I completely avoid nowadays are the RBK ops'. Ive had three, and all three have the same problem.....the toes chipped away very fast, so that effected my stick play quite a bit. So having that problem with 3 different kind of RBK sticks, not going back to those.
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:31 PM   #5
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
this past summer i played in ice604, but will go back to my ashl team for the winter and probably in the long run.

imo, easton has the worst durability (blade)... but since you dont take many slappers, then you might be fine... i never had an easton stick last beyond the warranty date... the most durable sticks i have used are the bauer one95 and warrior dolomite sticks. the one95 is by far the best stick i have used oin terms of weight since it is a tad heavier than the x60, flex and kick (i love how the puck lanuches), and the blade is super strong. i broke my from smashing it not from regualr wear. i do stay away completely from tps and eastons though, as their baldes are so brittle its not even funny.

for now... i am a warrior guy until it breaks.. but will religously use the one95 until they stop making it.. then i will prob be forced to try the x60 and or totalone stick... i generally dont use anything lower than last years top model.. because unlike some people, i actualy do feel a difference.. im 5'11 and 165 lbs.. I prewfer an 87 flex. good wrister and good slapper.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2010, 02:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by riccof View Post
I'm currently using Warrior AK27 87 flex with a One95 P92 pattern. I don't understand how many people I see are plating with such stiff shafts. The highest flex I've ever used is a 100 flex synergy years ago and I found it too stiff.

And the fact that Chara uses like a 130 with his size and strength, Ovechkin uses like a 85, and Brett Hull who had arguably one of the best one timers in his time, used something like a 65 flex.
hull used a 75 0_o I couldn't believe that. I'm very slim, and by no means strong lol, but I stick to 100+ flex because I easily break everything else. I went with 85 a couple times, and after a few clappers they would be in half...

I have tryouts tomorrow and I just got some Bauer one75 gloves i'm stoked to use....
Old 09-06-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
I'm 5'7", 200+ lbs and I like my sticks below my chin when I am standing up.

Currently, I am using One95's Backstrom 75 flex with the sticks cut to about a 94 flex. I love this stick.
I am usually a d-man so I take lots of point shots, and I really lean into the point shots.

My last sticks were a 100 flex Lidstrom S17 and a 100 flex Sakic S17.
I broke the blade on the Lidstrom going into the corner to fight for the puck. So far the Sakic hasn't broken yet, but I don't like the feel of this stick. It feels really stiff for a 100 flex that is chopped, and the blade feels really flimsy.

Before that, I had a bought a bunch of the Warrior Macdaddy's Kovalev 100 flex. I loved this stick but went through 5 of them in a year and a half. Most of them wore out. The blades would start to flex and everyone of my slap shots were knuckle balls. The newer sticks with the Splyne blades were supposed to address this issue, but I've already switched to Bauer's so I probably won't be going back any time soon.

I had a Bauer Vapour 7 and liked the slapshots and wristshots from it, but it was a 102 flex Naslund chopped, but I find it quite heavy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

If you like to take a lot of wrist shots you will benefit a bit more from a stick like the XXXX or X:60. The ONE95 has a higher kickpoint and is more of a stick where you can lean into your heavy shots. What hand do you shoot? The Canucks Team Store outlet has a few brand new sticks for $100, if you're lefty that is.

But for myself I've been rotating between Bauer and Warrior sticks as of late. I've been happy with my Dolomites so far, I've gotten at least a year of use out of each of them before they developed cracks. I sold my Bauer ONE95 recently because I have a custom stick from Base Hockey on the way and there's not enough time to use everything I own. The ONE95 is the most well balanced stick I have used but I just prefer the shaft profile and feel of the Dolomites.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:26 AM   #9
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

ive gone through 5 RBK 7ks intermediate flexes. best sticks ive used price wise but theyre just too brittle. not bad at $60 each. now im using an x:60 and synergy st. both are great!! i broke my dolomite after only 2 uses so i cant really comment on it yet
True.True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:52 AM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
I'm 5'9, 165 and play D. Im using a X60 Malkin, cut to about a 112. Its perfect for slapshots. My back up stick is a one95 Malkin cut to about a 94, i find wrist and snap shots are much easier with this stick. The x60 has been really durable, i've played 25 games of div 1 with it, and is showing no real signs of wear.

For some people who don't know..

www.hockeymonkey.com
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

^ i love my X60!!

i'm 5'10" about 165lbs. and i play right wing.

My composite sticks in chronological order

Bauer Vapor 16 67 flex Naslund P92 curve
I came from a wood/fibre glass stick with a similar Easton Yzerman Curve so i went for the P92 curve. i liked the stick, it was my first composite, it was a bit thin, and i found it too short for me so i put an extension in it, couldn't slap shot with it, but wrist shots were awesome! was pretty damn durable actually.

Bauer Vapor 40 67 Flex Naslund P92 Curve
Got this because someone was selling it and it was too good to pass it, was my favourite stick until i got my x60, it was ridiculously light and the wrist shots fired off easily and accurately, it did break with a slap pass lol, durability wasn't too great.

Bauer X60 77 flex - cut to about 80~ flex Backstrom P92 curve.
by far my favourite stick, it's the only stick i've had that i could actually slap shot with. it's incredibly light, durability isn't bad, and just all around awesome, my friend's who own one95's prefer their one95's but everyone else seems to love it. i hope it never breaks or they go on crazy sale so i can grab a whole bunch.

Bauer Vapor25 87 flex, cut down til about 90~ flex P91a Staal Curve
I liked this stick for slap shots, and saucer passes, stick handling isn't bad either, and wrist shots sail way too high, i have a problem with shooting an inch or two above the cross bar. dont really like this curve, but the stick is decently light and the flex is a bit much for me personally. i use this stick for roller only.

Warrior Dolomyte Spyne 75 flex cut down to about 80~ Draper Curve
Don't like this stick too much, but it's not bad, i bought it on sale for $80. the spyne thing in the blade sorta bugs me, as i'm a blade taper nazi, and it takes more time to tape, as well my slap shots and wrist shots just aren't nearly as hard as the x60, this is one of the few times where a hockey stick made a difference in my play.

for me, i'm a bauer whore, don't know if i could buy anything else.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:42 PM   #12

65 flex??????? Were you 10? Lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 09-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #13
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
65 flex??????? Were you 10? Lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Brett Hull's sticks were 65 flex and he had a crazy shot. Don't see what's wrong with using one. It's a whole lot better than trying to flex 100 when you really can't.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #14

U are not Brett hull 65 is soooo flexy, and they are thinner than senior sticks too. The stik would flex during a pass if 65 works fr you though I won't tell you not to use it
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 09-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #15
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
How much are the X60's? seems like the One95s are for the slapshot guys and the X60 for the wrist shot guys
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
How much are the X60's? seems like the One95s are for the slapshot guys and the X60 for the wrist shot guys

I find it the opposite and I have both.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:34 PM   #17

I haven't used it, but a lot of guys have told me to stick with the one95 over the X60 because of durability issues.
I've also heard the S19's are just repainted S17's but I find that hard to believe.

I love my one95 first and second is the Macdaddy. Just wish the blade was a little stronger.

BTW, I don't like the sticky grip em on my sticks. I wear my gloves loose so I have mobility in my wrist and my gloves will stick to the tackiness and come off of my hand.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 09-07-2010, 08:36 PM   #18
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

its all about the way you shoot. you can slapshot with both but have to adjust to the kick points in the sticks.

imo the one95 is the clapper king.
beetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I've also heard the S19's are just repainted S17's but I find that hard to believe..
I have an s19 for ice and s17 for roller hockey. Very different stick. s19 is light, and much thinner near the blade.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:01 PM   #20
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
Brett Hull's sticks were 65 flex and he had a crazy shot. Don't see what's wrong with using one. It's a whole lot better than trying to flex 100 when you really can't.

depends.. i cant use anything lower than an 87 thats cut... even a 77 thats cut(which in reality would be more of an 80-85) is too whippy for me.. i dont like the feel of my stick bending like a bow.. i only like feeling the whip when i really lean into shots.. and even then, the kick on whippy sticks arent as powerful as a stiffer stick
Old 09-08-2010, 06:12 AM   #21

s19 is some thing else. I bought one used it for warm up and gave it away. It was so light and had the weirdest kick point. I couldnt use it.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:28 AM   #22
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdizzle_996 View Post
s19 is some thing else. I bought one used it for warm up and gave it away. It was so light and had the weirdest kick point. I couldnt use it.
imo, eastons "high end" retail sticks are for kids and or noobs that dont know much about hockey... and since they arent durable,,, the noobs and kids are less likely to break them too. if you look at any nhl player.. they all use st's or se's that are repainted
Old 09-08-2010, 07:32 AM   #23

I am not a "noob" and I find the s19 is fine... I fin the boobs jut buy flashy cheap stuff from sportchek
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 09-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueG2 View Post
depends.. i cant use anything lower than an 87 thats cut... even a 77 thats cut(which in reality would be more of an 80-85) is too whippy for me.. i dont like the feel of my stick bending like a bow.. i only like feeling the whip when i really lean into shots.. and even then, the kick on whippy sticks arent as powerful as a stiffer stick
I thought the same thing till I used my one95 77 flex.

My first "whippy" stick was a 85 flex Mac Daddy. I found that stick way too flexy when I was trying to clear the puck around the boards from behind the net and ended up staying with the 100 flex.

Because of that, I tried the 100 flex S17's but my Sakic is too stiff for my liking. There is little to no flex when I lean into my slappers.

Right now, I am really happy with the one95. Well, maybe the kickpoint could be a little lower.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 09-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #25
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I thought the same thing till I used my one95 77 flex.

My first "whippy" stick was a 85 flex Mac Daddy. I found that stick way too flexy when I was trying to clear the puck around the boards from behind the net and ended up staying with the 100 flex.

Because of that, I tried the 100 flex S17's but my Sakic is too stiff for my liking. There is little to no flex when I lean into my slappers.

Right now, I am really happy with the one95. Well, maybe the kickpoint could be a little lower.
ya the one95 is probably whippier than the average stick out there.. the 87 really felt like an 80.. probably due to the kick point.. but i loved it. and will be my next stick once my dolo breaks.. which i tihnk is soon.. the shaft rattles now after my last game.... good thing they are d/c and you can get them relatively cheap from sports exchange... pro stocks ftw!