REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Question about tint (https://www.revscene.net/forums/624322-question-about-tint.html)

audi_b7 09-08-2010 01:16 PM

Question about tint

Hi, before I get flamed, I realize there have been several postings about tint, and I am aware that it is illegal to have the front windows tinted. However, I couldn't find any specific answers to my question so I decided to make a new post.

My question is for a friend who recently got a ticket. The officer basically took a blade to the window and cut off a chunk. I understand the tint ticket, but I personally disagree with what the officer did to the vehicle. Could any members on this forum please discuss this? I feel it is unncessary when a tint ticket or removal notice would suffice. Not to take it to the extreme, but do we have any rights to our vehicle, or is the officer allowed by law to damage personal property when we have something illegal on the car (ie: tint)?

Thanks.

ruthless 09-08-2010 01:22 PM

thats a dick move but they do it to ensure u get it taken off....did he scratch the glass by any chance?

sho_bc 09-08-2010 01:55 PM

Is it possible that your friend claimed there was no tint, so the officer took his blade and cut off a piece to show him there was?

zulutango 09-08-2010 06:08 PM

I have heard that certain Traffic Court JPs required a piece of the tint as evidence, to convict. Never ran into that myself but other Members have told me they encountered it. They are not damaging your vehicle, they are seizing evidence of a crime. The tint is not permitted to be there in the first place and must be removed anyway, conviction or not.

hchang 09-08-2010 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7097244)
I have heard that certain Traffic Court JPs required a piece of the tint as evidence, to convict. Never ran into that myself but other Members have told me they encountered it. They are not damaging your vehicle, they are seizing evidence of a crime. The tint is not permitted to be there in the first place and must be removed anyway, conviction or not.

So if a police officer suspects I'm hiding a gun up my ass, the officer may shove his hand up my ass to "seize" an evidence of a crime? The gun, very similar to the tint, was not supposed to be there in the first place.

Or is the tint a special law because its in plain view?

zulutango 09-08-2010 06:28 PM

There is no need to be profane..this question is about window tint that is in plain view...it's not a case of if the officer "suspects' it is there. It can be seized very easily for evidence if required.
If illegal contraband has been swallowed it can be recovered without an intrusive body search...all that is needed is time and a toilet with a strainer.

hchang 09-08-2010 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7097278)
There is no need to be profane..this question is about window tint that is in plain view...it's not a case of if the officer "suspects' it is there. It can be seized very easily for evidence if required.
If illegal contraband has been swallowed it can be recovered without an intrusive body search...all that is needed is time and a toilet with a strainer.

My apologies if that came out being too profane.

Didn't intentionally mean for it to be profane.

zulutango 09-08-2010 06:49 PM

Accepted with thanks. Personally I never had any desire to look any place where the sun didn't shine. :D

hchang 09-08-2010 06:52 PM

I heard that if police officers suspect that something of which that shouldn't be in that general area will be told to bend over and cough?

zulutango 09-08-2010 09:16 PM

Only on our 2 year physical exam...:D