REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   DriveSmartBC - Driving With a BAC Between 50 & 80 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/624434-drivesmartbc-driving-bac-between-50-80-a.html)

skidmark 09-09-2010 08:30 PM

DriveSmartBC - Driving With a BAC Between 50 & 80

In 1977 BC established the limit of 50 mg% as the provincial limit on Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) for drivers. When tested with an approved screening device drivers with a BAC over this limit received a 24 hour roadside prohibition. Relatively recently, this prohibition also included a 24 hour vehicle impoundment to go along with the prohibition.

Effective on September 20, 2010 the prohibition dealt to drivers with a BAC between 50 and 80 mg% (known as a warn) will change significantly. When tested with an approved screening device at roadside a driver who provides a breath sample that is analyzed as a warn will face a minimum 3 day driving prohibition, an administrative penalty of $200, a driver's license reinstatement fee of $250, a 3 day vehicle impound and the associated towing and storage fees.

In the case of a driver whose driving record already contains a single prohibition within the past 5 years, the prohibition and impoundment periods rise to 7 days. The administrative penalty will increase to $300 and the driver will be required to participate in the ignition interlock program for one year at a cost of $1,730.

Should the driver have 2 or more previous prohibitions within the previous 5 year period, prohibition and impoundment rise to 30 days. The administrative penalty will increase to $400 and the driver will be required to participate in the Responsible Driver Program at a cost of $880.

In both of the latter cases the $250 driver's license reinstatement fee and the towing and storage charges will apply as well.

Reference Links

Gnomes 09-10-2010 05:39 AM

Do some drunk drivers demand blood tests in lieu of breathalyzer? When that happens, do you the police take them to a hospital emergency ward for blood alcohol test?

sho_bc 09-10-2010 10:44 AM

Drivers can not request a blood test in lieu of a breath sample.

sebberry 09-11-2010 10:25 PM

Is a breath sample always done at the roadside or are other tests like balance tests also performed?

I'm just curious how the police seperate the drunks from people with inner-ear/vestibular disorders that affect balance coordination if they don't have an RSD available.

zulutango 09-12-2010 07:17 AM

A roadside screening device isused to get an approximate BAC level. The SFST involve balancebut they also involve looking for indicators like...slurred speech, slow deliberate actions, confusion, smell of booze, difficulty walking and standing. The absence of HGN ( horizontal gaze nystagmus) would also rule out inner-ear disorders. The absence of alcohol symptoms would lead a terained SFST investigator to very quickly conlcude that it was a medical balance problem and not booze that was causing the problems.

hc529 09-12-2010 07:30 AM

In the case of a driver whose driving record already contains a single prohibition within the past 5 years, the prohibition and impoundment periods rise to 7 days...

What if my last prohibition was not anything alcoholic-wised..... Is it still raised to 7days?
Posted via RS Mobile

sebberry 09-12-2010 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7101416)
The absence of HGN ( horizontal gaze nystagmus) would also rule out inner-ear disorders.

I'm a litle confused as to your wording here.

One can have an inner ear disorder but be able to track objects smoothly without showing signs of HGN.

zulutango 09-12-2010 01:31 PM

Alcohol results in the onset of HGN in an "impaired" person. If the onset is before a 45 degree angle, the impairment will be over 100mg%. Someone with an inner ear problem will not exhibit HGN...they will possibly exhibit some symptoms of balance problems and they won't smell like Lucky beer or slurr their words etc. I agree with your last statement and we are both saying the same thing in the end.

zulutango 09-12-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hc529 (Post 7101418)
In the case of a driver whose driving record already contains a single prohibition within the past 5 years, the prohibition and impoundment periods rise to 7 days...

What if my last prohibition was not anything alcoholic-wised..... Is it still raised to 7days?
Posted via RS Mobile

I assume that a 215 for impairment by drugs would have the same resulting prohibition and risk of impoundment.

Quote..

(3) A peace officer may, at any time or place on a highway or industrial road if the peace officer has reasonable and probable grounds to believe that a driver's ability to drive a motor vehicle is affected by a drug, other than alcohol,
(a) request the driver to drive the motor vehicle, under the direction of the peace officer, to the nearest place off the travelled portion of the highway or industrial road,

(b) serve the driver with a notice of driving prohibition, and(c) if the driver is in possession of a driver's licence, request the driver to surrender that licence.

sebberry 09-12-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7101416)
The absence of HGN ( horizontal gaze nystagmus) would also rule out inner-ear disorders.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7101674)
Alcohol results in the onset of HGN in an "impaired" person. If the onset is before a 45 degree angle, the impairment will be over 100mg%. Someone with an inner ear problem will not exhibit HGN...they will possibly exhibit some symptoms of balance problems and they won't smell like Lucky beer or slurr their words etc. I agree with your last statement and we are both saying the same thing in the end.

Sorry, but it still sounds like if someone exhibits balance impairment but does not show HGN, then an inner-ear problem would be ruled out?

If I am not mistaken, the police are now able to run these tests on any driver even without suspecting alcohol has been consumed.

Is it at all possible that someone with an inner ear problem (which can affect balance and eye movements) could be arrested on suspicion of being drunk and transported to the police station to give a breath sample?

A quick google search reveals quite a bit of controversy on the use of HGN tests.

zulutango 09-12-2010 07:05 PM

If all you had was a balance problem and no other symptoms of impairment, then there would be no symptoms of impairment by alcohol. A simple ASD test would show if there was alcohol in your system. The SFST uses a large number of indicators to show impairment and it is the totality of their presence...not just 1 or 2 symptoms, that leads to a Datamaster test back at the Cop shop.

tiger_handheld 09-12-2010 09:34 PM

so monetary consequences only apply if you are between .05 and .08?
As long as the driver is under .05 it is good?

what is considered under .05? 1 glass of wine, 1 beer, 1 jager bomb, 1 rum and coke - where is the line.

sebberry 09-12-2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 7102278)
what is considered under .05? 1 glass of wine, 1 beer, 1 jager bomb, 1 rum and coke - where is the line.

Completely depends on many factors.

TOS'd 09-12-2010 09:45 PM

^ How about a very rough estimate? Like average male, 20 years old, average build and weight etc, eats while drinking.

I'm just looking for a very rough guide, not to live by, but to atleast have some indication.

sebberry 09-12-2010 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOS'd (Post 7102294)
^ How about a very rough estimate? Like average male, 20 years old, average build and weight etc, eats while drinking.

I'm just looking for a very rough guide, not to live by, but to atleast have some indication.

It would be irresponsible for any of the officers here to tell you how many drinks it would take to get you drunk.

Have a glass of wine with dinner, no more.

Does ICBC collect stats on BAC involvement in collisions? ie, BAC of xx% was responsible for xx% of alcohol related collisions.

sho_bc 09-13-2010 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 7102278)
so monetary consequences only apply if you are between .05 and .08?

under the new program, if you provide a "FAIL" sample, you lose your licence for 30 days and your vehicle will be impounded for 30 days, and not have criminal charges forwarded. If it goes the way of criminal charges and providing breath samples back at the detachment, its the same as it is now: 24hr suspension, ADP (90 day suspension after 21 days) and the 24hr impound together with criminal charges of Drive While Ability Impaired and Drive Over 80mg%.

Quote:

As long as the driver is under .05 it is good?
this has been covered. you can still be charged with Drive While Ability Impaired, depending on the circumstances. If you are a class 7 licence, you're not allowed ANY alcohol in your system. Anything under .05 is a 12hr suspension & impound.

skidmark 09-13-2010 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7102330)
Does ICBC collect stats on BAC involvement in collisions? ie, BAC of xx% was responsible for xx% of alcohol related collisions.

Yes they do. The MV6020 collision report has blanks on it for the driver's BAC.

skidmark 09-13-2010 07:20 AM

Blood Alcohol Calculator

Err on the side of caution.

jlenko 09-13-2010 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOS'd (Post 7102294)

Seriously, are you that dumb? :rofl:

Do you want to go through all this trouble, just to be able to have a few drinks?

Let us spell it out for you: "DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE".. :thumbsup: save yourself the headache.

Although I'll admit.. I can't wait til someone like you comes on here and asks how to fight their conviction.. I will laugh so hard...

TOS'd 09-13-2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidmark (Post 7102680)
Blood Alcohol Calculator

Err on the side of caution.

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 7102782)
Seriously, are you that dumb? :rofl:

Do you want to go through all this trouble, just to be able to have a few drinks?

Let us spell it out for you: "DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE".. :thumbsup: save yourself the headache.

Although I'll admit.. I can't wait til someone like you comes on here and asks how to fight their conviction.. I will laugh so hard...

Chill out. I'm just wondering, how much would say 1 beer or 1 glass of wine during dinner get you to. I know 1 won't get you to the 0.05 BAC. Way to be "the man" and rip on me for asking a question that I'm sure will benefit others. I never said I was going to drink and drive, but who doesn't enjoy a nice cold one during dinner..

jlenko 09-13-2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOS'd (Post 7102802)
Way to be "the man" and rip on me for asking a question that I'm sure will benefit others.

Yup, and I'll be "the man" who never has to wonder how close he actually is to that 0.5mg when I run into a roadblock. Have fun when you do!

EDIT: I enjoy a beer as much as the next guy.. maybe even more.. but I leave them for when I'm not driving so I don't need to worry about the law, ever. Like when I get home, and I'm not going anywhere. My job hinges on my being able to operate a vehicle... so if I don't want to ruin the life I've made for myself, I just avoid the issue altogether. Better safe than sorry!! But that appears to be too complex a subject for you young'uns..

Oh, and refer to my sig ;)

gars 09-13-2010 12:20 PM

different people process alcohol differently as well.

I'm 140lb, 5'4". But after half a pint of beer, I've been told I get more alcohol breath than someone who's just a bit bigger, but has had a full drink or two.

but that has nothing to do with being drunk as well. It'll take me quite a few more drinks before I start feeling the effects.

That said, I also know people who start feeling woozy after half a drink, yet you might not be able to detect any alcohol on their breath.

so like jlenko says, if you drink, just don't drive...