REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

What can RS tell me about S500 and 745li

im considering both vehicles because they fall in my budget of around $18,000-$22,000 obviously used, but ive been reading a bit about the mercedes apparently has problems with the air ride suspension especially in the 2000-2002 years. anyone own one and have any info on repairs or issues they have had? the bmw i havnt found too much info about the only reason im considering it is because a 2004 s class will probably fall out of my budget and i havnt seen anything bad about the older 745 so im also wondering if u guys can give me any insight on both vehicles. and what car would u consider for around that price, no pussy ass rides like a 4 banger honda civic or rsx or something i want something nice and luxury.
Advertisement
dj bally is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-10-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
if your buying a german luxury car, be ready for heavy ass repair costs, not saying they have problems but when they do get problems there expensive, especially all the sensors and shit. I would get a 745I tho, fast and luxury under one roof....the s class is the most boring car to drive, its like its on rails.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

S500, get 03+ it's got updated interior, newer command system(04 changed again, if possible, get 04), updated front and rear, etc. You can choose with long wheel base, spec would says S500v if it is (if you don't care about lwb, you car get S430 too...).

All W220 have ABC suspension iirc, yes, they do go expensively. Each strut goes about 1k if you order it online, but still need labor and Mercedes' program for it to flush the system. another thing in the suspension that's easy to fail is the valve, it goes about 1k again.

BTW, if ABC's turned on, there will be minimal body roll, yet ride quality's still basically the same.

couldn't speak about the bimmer, haven't ever looked into it... but I like pre 02 7s more...
Solo_D33A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
the fit is nice and luxurious.

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #5
Banned (BBM)

i drove both the S63 AMG vs 750LI

tho not exactly the model you are asking but here is my two cents

S interior uses more refined material, its smooth and very comfortable. A lot of fancy gadgets. You sit in the rear and it makes you feel like a king. Definitely one of a kind luxury car, hands down.

750Li the car feels more like its part of you, more in control. I much prefer the throttle response as well as the steering, feels more precise. interior both are top notch but i prefer the S as mentioned, the new body one (the one i drove) has suede head liners, now thats baller. THe 7 did not

My biggest downfall with 7 was the rear seat, it was NOT comfy after i sat in the S. S is like one big comfy sofa, even if you weigh 300 pounds + it'd still feel comfy to you.

the 7 on the other hand feels more secure, it wraps around your ass. For me thats not what im looking for in a luxury sedan, comfort should be the no.1 concern. Therefore i would prefer S in terms of overall presentation if i were to choose between the two. S is definitely the best luxury sedan under $200g

i saw a 05 745li for $35g and i was tempted

but be prepared that when mainteance comes, prepare each session be thousands ++++ not hundreds+ This aint no honda

it will definitely costs an arm and a leg to keep, otherwise awsome ride

$20g budget

TL, TSX, G35, maxima, altima, 3 series, C class used...those would be the common ones

S/7 terriotory you really need to have a deep pocket to pay to play, used or not
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
People always seem to forget that while you might be able to buy a 150K car for 35K, you're still paying the maintenance for a 150K car.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
I AM

Thanked 1,329 Times in 294 Posts
get a acura RL. i think 05's are about 20-25k
Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

my friend has a benz S class.. forgot the model..
i dont like the doors.

there was a time where i attempted to closed the door, but it was in a non secure state.. so i tried to open the door ne hand on handle and one hand by the edge of the door. handle was locked.. and the door started automatically shutting it self to a secure state while my hands are still on the edge of the door.

yup, it hurts.
oldsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post

but be prepared that when mainteance comes, prepare each session be thousands ++++ not hundreds+ This aint no honda

it will definitely costs an arm and a leg to keep, otherwise awsome ride

$20g budget

TL, TSX, G35, maxima, altima, 3 series, C class used...those would be the common ones

S/7 terriotory you really need to have a deep pocket to pay to play, used or not

^100% agree.

if ur looking for a cheap luxury car you may not like these cars. lots of money will go into those rides, especially if you are not covered by warranty.
seems like u want a baller car with out having to pay the baller bills.
you mite end up hating these cars after a few months of maintenance/repairs/gas bills.
just my 2 cents sir!
dhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:17 PM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
apparently this guy has done some research on the maintenance, so why need to repeat and repeat about the costing. It's like dating a fat chick and you only want to feed her kids meal.

my parents owned the ugly 735Li for 4 years in Asia and put 50,000km on it. They only paid for the basic maintenance and inspection. Yes, it's relatively more expensive than 3 series, a muffler on the dealer service catalog is like 2g, changing wiper is 3x more expensive than buying it at Canadian tires. The fact is it is supposed to rip off the original owner, there are many many used parts out there.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #11

^ why the fuck would someone buy a luxury car and then cheap out and buy used parts for it.....just dont buy it in the first place, used = 50%+ of the parts life gone. He replaces something with a used part and a month later it breaks again and again and again. My neighbour has a X5 and he cheaped out on a O2 sensor and got a used one and since may he he went through two and finally he bought a new one. If your gonna get a bmw or benz get certified one its worth the extra dough.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:45 PM   #12
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
and he's buying an used luxury car in the first place? you should tell him to buy a brand new car instead.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #13

buying a used car and used part is different.....thats why i suggested to buy a certified a little more expensive but peace of mind when it comes to repairs and maintaince. If hes gonna buy a bmw or benz from a shady little used car dealership its not a good idea and he should just get a mid sized sedan.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:18 PM   #14
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj bally View Post
im considering both vehicles because they fall in my budget of around $18,000-$22,000 obviously used, but ive been reading a bit about the mercedes apparently has problems with the air ride suspension especially in the 2000-2002 years. anyone own one and have any info on repairs or issues they have had? the bmw i havnt found too much info about the only reason im considering it is because a 2004 s class will probably fall out of my budget and i havnt seen anything bad about the older 745 so im also wondering if u guys can give me any insight on both vehicles. and what car would u consider for around that price, no pussy ass rides like a 4 banger honda civic or rsx or something i want something nice and luxury.
well said

I'd go with the 745i, they look great.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #15
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
LOL mercedes still has air ride problems to this day, just saw a new gl550 today in kerrisdale limped to one side. reminds me of a roadtrip to portland last year in a gl320 came back like that too...

Yeah the 7 looks way better IMO, S class looks a lot older. Get the li though the standard wheelbase isn't that appealing (just to me)

I'm guessing you didn't consider the A8, my favourite one, more subtle & more class, but judging by your username I doubt that's what you're looking for. Quattro isn't a bad thing to have either. Not as many to choose from in the used car market though.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #16
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj bally View Post
Neither. I see people like you all the time at work. Let's see, I can buy a brand new economy car for $20K or a used luxury car for the same $20K. Ooooohhh, I'll be ballin' in my S Class or 7 Series.

Then you ask about which car will have fewer problems, obviously because you really only have the monthly budget for your car payment, insurance and gas. Since you have no money left for repairs you want to buy the luxury car that's the most reliable. Even if you don't suffer any breakdowns, regular maintenance is still much more expensive than a normal car.

But hey, don't listen to anyone on here telling you about how expensive it is to keep one of these cars on the road. Just don't come to me (like countless others have in the past) trying to det a deal on repairs for your car. "Are you sure you can't get that part from the aftermarket? The dealer part is sooo expensive." "Why are my brakes worn out already?" "A tune-up cost HOW much?" "Can't you find me some used tires?" "Isn't there any cheaper way to get my car to pass Aircare?" and on and on
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:46 PM   #17

^ my point exacly, well said
Old 09-10-2010, 11:07 PM   #18
Banned (BBM)

what can i say, $20g baller in surrey

Living the american dream

$20g 7 > $20g civic
Old 09-11-2010, 12:44 AM   #19
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts

http://www.revscene.net/forums/fs-me...z-t624524.html

problem solved

has D's on it already
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:53 AM   #20
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVS_Racing View Post

http://www.revscene.net/forums/fs-me...z-t624524.html

problem solved

has D's on it already
Recent work that has already been done includes: 2 new vacuum pumps, Heater speed control regulator, battery, alternator, front shocks, ignition switch, instrument cluster, the transmission was also rebuilt by the previous owner.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:35 AM   #21

^ so basically its ready to go eh?
Old 09-11-2010, 08:49 AM   #22
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

You should check out LS430s. I've had good experience with them and they have the toyota reliability and not too bad on maintenance if you have a good mechanic.
van_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:54 AM   #23

How much extra for a curry scented interior?
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #24
Banned (BBM)

more than u can afford pal

Old 09-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #25

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Instead of attempting a baller on a budget sort of thing, why don't you use the 20 gs toward a brand new car, like a Civic or Toyota of some kind. Sure you won't be picking up as many fly honeys as your homeboys in there pre-owned and probably financed bimmers and benzes, but you won't waste money on premium/extra gas, stupid repair/maintenance costs. And 5 years down the road it will be much easier to sell a Honda or Toyota, and since your the only owner you can make sure to keep it up to date service wise and keep all the records to make selling easier.

Then use the 10 grand you make selling it, as a down payment on a brand new baller car

And don't forget, since you live in surrey, whatever car you pick make sure to throw some d's on that bitch
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote