REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Rock Chip Claim (https://www.revscene.net/forums/624798-rock-chip-claim.html)

Lomac 09-13-2010 10:35 PM

Rock Chip Claim

I have an appointment with ICBC in a week to pursue a comprehensive claim regarding rock chips on the front of my car. Long story short, a dump truck carrying gravel hit a massive bump on the road and lost a bunch of it's load, and some of it hit my car. ICBC has already stated that I'm allowed to make this claim, but they want me to bring my car in for an inspection to check out how badly it's damaged and to verify with their own eyes that it's a legit claim.

Now, since my car is a few years old, it already has a few chips on the front of the car, though not nearly as many as there are now. The ICBC rep I talked to said they want to verify that the chips are new and not old. Fair enough, I suppose, but I'm curious how they'll be able to tell the difference? I know one of the new chips on the front fender has already gathered surface rust since it chipped right down to bare sheet metal. I don't want to get screwed out of a claim, so I want to know what they're looking for and what I should be aware of.

GabAlmighty 09-13-2010 10:55 PM

Hmm interesting. Think my dad tried something similar a while back because of the size of the gravel they were using on the interior highways in the winter. Cracked a windshield in that instance, I should be a little more aware of this as I do lots of highway driving a day.

jbsali 09-13-2010 11:00 PM

you shouldn't have anything to worry about if the chip is legit and from the gravel truck.

jlenko 09-13-2010 11:04 PM

I tried that when some jerk was losing gravel out of his tailgate, hauling a load in a pickup truck over the Ironworkers Memorial bridge a few years ago. Got his plate too..

My brand new paint job was practically ruined.. this jackass had gravel literally POURING out of the back of his truck... all over the place.

ICBC denied it and said I was on my own.

(Good luck!)

Lomac 09-13-2010 11:14 PM

^^ That's more or less what I'm worried about. It's why I'm curious what exactly they'll be looking at and how they determine new from old.

godwin 09-14-2010 01:04 AM

They determine by your statement and the pattern.. It is basically your word + evidence.

I highly suggest you detail your car before you go in. So the pits and imperfects shows up more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 7103942)
^^ That's more or less what I'm worried about. It's why I'm curious what exactly they'll be looking at and how they determine new from old.

Lomac 09-14-2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 7104063)
They determine by your statement and the pattern.. It is basically your word + evidence.

I highly suggest you detail your car before you go in. So the pits and imperfects shows up more.

Okay, that should be fine then. While I have random rock chips on the front of the car, there's a definite pattern on the left side of the car from when I tried to swerve and miss the falling and bouncing gravel.

I don't think I'll need to detail the car since there's some pretty obvious damage. They just need to look for the dozen or so surface rust spots... :lol