REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 09-14-2010, 09:29 PM   #1
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
scratched windshield

My windshield is all scratched up from my failed attempt at getting wax off/fixing windshield haze ...there are scratches everywhere
the scratches are not deep since i can not feel them with my nail...

I dont know if there is just scratches in the wax/grime on the windshield or if they are actually on the glass itself (they wont rub off soo...)

Is there anything I can do/use to fix this?

thanks
Advertisement
ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:56 AM   #2
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
what did you use?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Glass polish. Ken @ Autowerkes can supply you with some - will work best with a dual-action machine such as a Porter Cable or a rotary polisher.
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
& Associates Inc.

used one of those scotch bright pads since nothing else was working
Old 09-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

newspaper and windex
TheSalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:29 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSalesman View Post
newspaper and windex
Last time I checked, newspaper and windex does not cut polish scratches off glass. You should try reading, it works wonders

feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showt...ighlight=noizz
Noizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noizz View Post
Last time I checked, newspaper and windex does not cut polish scratches off glass. You should try reading, it works wonders
its worth a try. It's what I clean my windows with all the time.
I have also used a pad similar to those scotch bright pads to clean windshields and it did not scratch up the windshield. I also use razors to get stuff off windshields and it still doesn't scratch it.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSalesman View Post
its worth a try. It's what I clean my windows with all the time.
I have also used a pad similar to those scotch bright pads to clean windshields and it did not scratch up the windshield. I also use razors to get stuff off windshields and it still doesn't scratch it.
I think you're still missing the point... the OP is saying that his windshield is already scratched!

He is asking how to get rid of the scratches not how to clean it or get dirt/junk/crap off his windshield.

feedback
Old 09-15-2010, 06:59 PM   #9
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
used one of those scotch bright pads since nothing else was working
You're gonna need a polisher. Do you have one?
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #10
& Associates Inc.

no i don't...couldn't i get some glass polish and polish it by hand??

and btw i had already tried windex/newspaper to get off the wax, but the thing that i found worked best was barkeepers friend/bon ami to get rid of the grime, but it only lasted a few days...so i took some more drastic measures

thnx for all the suggestions guys
Old 09-15-2010, 08:02 PM   #11

Quote:
I think you're still missing the point... the OP is saying that his windshield is already scratched!

He is asking how to get rid of the scratches not how to clean it or get dirt/junk/crap off his windshield.
I think YOU need to learn to read. He is asking how to fix/clean this because he doesn't even know if they are actually scratches. He said in the original post that they might just be scratches in the wax but he is not even sure.

So here it is for you one more time. Read carefully.

Quote:
My windshield is all scratched up from my failed attempt at getting wax off/fixing windshield haze ...there are scratches everywhere

I dont know if there is just scratches in the wax/grime on the windshield or if they are actually on the glass itself (they wont rub off soo...)

Is there anything I can do/use to fix this?

thanks
Instead of assuming his windshield is completely trashed, maybe suggest something that doesn't cost anything to try. It's not gonna hurt him to use some old newspaper and some windex.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:49 AM   #12

The OP is clearly not experienced in the subject matter, he comes into a detailing thread to ask a question and self doubting himself whether he has scratches or not. And like most people he wants to believe that there is a quick fix for these situations. He notes that he used a scotch brite pad and you cannot piece together what has happened?

Furthermore, you are a car salesman and you think it's OK to use razors and scouring pads on a windshield? With that mentality No wonder brand new cars come with dealer installed swirls. At least you keep educated/trained professionals like Ken employed.

There is evidence to support his windshield is scratched:
Quote:

Any sort of rubbing he had done would have already removed the wax. With the rainy weather lately, even if he had a coat of wax on his windshield do you think it would have lasted? The wipers would have cleared away all of it. Scratches on grime? Are you serious? You can ignore this part from the OP.

"They won't rub off" + factor in the tool of his choice... a scotch-brite pad, a pad used to scour pots and pans was part of his process. I don't know how more obvious it can get that there are physical swirls/scratches on his windshield right now. It leaves swirls on your pots and pans, but for some magical reason it doesn't scratch glass?

I can assume that his window is scratched, because like every other person who decides to take a scotch pad to their car or in this case a windshield, this usually happens:

Exhibit A:
http://www.s2katlanta.com/forum/show...-pad-mistake!&
Quote:
I decide to use a scotchbrite sponge to clean my windshield. I commence to use the green side of the sponge to scour away all the dirt and road grime. Halfway through, I noticed the windshield was alot cleaner. I also noticed after it dried that I had scratched the hell out of it and now my windshield has swirl marks.

Good thing I only did the drivers side, but man is it bad.
Exhibit B:
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...eld-scratched/

Quote:
I noticed today that my windshield is scratched pretty badly all over. It has swirl marks in it...I had a number of bugs on the windshield so I took a plastic brillo pad/pot scrubber to the windshield...
Quote:
I made the same mistake when I used one of those green 3M pads to get paint over spray off the windshield of my 69 Torino when I was restoring it. I thought I could get away with very light pressure on it but it scratched the heck out of it.

Quote:
no i don't...couldn't i get some glass polish and polish it by hand??
Glass is harder than clearcoat but still prone to scratches, while you can polish clearcoat with your hand, you'll need a machine to efficiently remove the scratches in glass unless you want to spend the next month polishing it by hand. If you don't want to spend the money on a polisher, then pay Ken to do it for you.

feedback
Old 09-16-2010, 07:06 AM   #13
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #14

Quote:

Furthermore, you are a car salesman and you think it's OK to use razors and scouring pads on a windshield? With that mentality No wonder brand new cars come with dealer installed swirls. At least you keep educated/trained professionals like Ken employed.
Yeah Im a car salesman so what? I'v worked at a lot of dealerships before including MCL, Acura and a few others where I cleaned up new cars. Never scratched a windshield and have never had a complaint before. I am just giving the OP the cheapest and easiest solution to his problem that is worth trying. I never said that would work but it could.
You havn't seen his windshield and you're telling him to send it to ken to get it polished. The OP is obviously trying to do this himself.
And I don't use a scotch brite pads on windshields, its actually steel wool.

Last edited by TheSalesman; 09-16-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #15

Lol in your earlier post you mentioned 'I used a pad similar to scotch' and now you're saying you use steel wool? Which one is it then?

I don't need to see his windshield to know there are scratches, neither does Ken (who already mentioned it needs to be polished) because through experience and experience of others (exhibits posted in my last reply) we already know what happens when you take a scotch pad to a car... swirls/scratches.

Don't waste time with the obvious, while everyone here asked what the OP had done, and told him he needs glass polish, you say 3 words: newspaper and polish. How does that help?

Smoothie asked what was used, great constructive feedback, we can now address what has happened if we know the culprit.

Roastpuff says he needs glass polish because intuitively he knows his windshield is scratched. Why? Because its obvious.

Newspaper and windex? Not very helpful now is it? OP mentioned after that he tried it, guess what? Didn't work.

This is a lost cause, because you don't seem to be able to trust members who have experience with the subject matter. We're all here speaking from experience to help members, and since you use steel wool now instead of scotch pads like you said earlier, obviously you have no experience in this thread so offering your newspaper windex fix is like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

I hope that whoever reads this thread takes away from this. Never use scotch pad and car in the same sentence.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 09-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #16
& Associates Inc.

why u guys fighting over me LOL
the scratches dont really give me any problems seeing out but its just an annoyance that there there

this glass polish thing how much would it cost for a detailer to do and would i have to keep on doing it, or is it a permanent one time thing?

i would consider the sponser autowerks but there all the way in maple ridge and its gonna be a pain to drive up there

anyone know of any detailers closer? around surrey

thanks for all the help guys appreciate it
p.s. Surrey WHAT! WHAT!
Old 09-16-2010, 06:04 PM   #17

It will be a one time permanent thing. Just don't use any abrasive material on it again. Ken would be the most qualified in my books. Ken does mobile work sometimes, message him and see if it could work to your advantage.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 09-16-2010, 08:21 PM   #18

Quote:
this glass polish thing how much would it cost for a detailer to do and would i have to keep on doing it, or is it a permanent one time thing?

i would consider the sponser autowerks but there all the way in maple ridge and its gonna be a pain to drive up there
I know. I'm aaaaallllllllllll the way out in Maple Ridge. Thats gotta be like a 40 minute drive on a Saturday morning! LOL Let me know when you want to bring it out. I won't charge you as it won't take that long and its either gonna work or its not. I'll look into some other products as well. Some metal polishes actually have jewellers rouge in it which can, sometimes, remove the scratches in glass.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:24 PM   #19
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

I've bought this kit to try out on my windshield. It's sitting in my garage waiting for me to have a free weekend (with good weather) to do it.

I'm sure you could probably do it with the right polish and pad combos too. In either case, it will require something like a PC or a rotary to do a proper job. OP should just take it to Ken to check out. He's already offered to share his expertise and try to help (and provide the materials as well) so there's nothing to lose!
syee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:22 AM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

similar problem. but slightly worse. When my brother owned my car, he drove the entire winter with one wiperblade not on correctly. He said it was old wipers. But truth be told, the wiper was not on the blade properly so the metal clip holding the wiper has been scratching a big arch into my windshield.
Any fixes?
Ranterok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 06:00 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranterok View Post
similar problem. but slightly worse. When my brother owned my car, he drove the entire winter with one wiperblade not on correctly. He said it was old wipers. But truth be told, the wiper was not on the blade properly so the metal clip holding the wiper has been scratching a big arch into my windshield.
Any fixes?
New windshield. Sorry.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:46 AM   #22
& Associates Inc.

i think i need a new windshield as well i had a closer look at it and i can feel the scratches with my nail
Old 05-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #23
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911fanatic View Post
I know. I'm aaaaallllllllllll the way out in Maple Ridge. Thats gotta be like a 40 minute drive on a Saturday morning! LOL Let me know when you want to bring it out. I won't charge you as it won't take that long and its either gonna work or its not. I'll look into some other products as well. Some metal polishes actually have jewellers rouge in it which can, sometimes, remove the scratches in glass.
hey ken. dug up this old thread because i have scratched glass too. i was wondering if you could pm me with the cost to fix, etc...
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #24
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

I use windex and steel wool, work on me everytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #25
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy View Post
I use windex and steel wool, work on me everytime
buddy, you are not the first to suggest this, but i'm so scared... won't it haze up the glass surface and make it worse?
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote