REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   playing racing game will make you a better driver (https://www.revscene.net/forums/625241-playing-racing-game-will-make-you-better-driver.html)

supers7n 09-19-2010 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSALES (Post 7110480)
good thing i've been playing gran turismo since i was 8 yrs old haha

I used to play a lot when I was a little kid too

I sucked really bad though, I remember when I was tuning my car, it said negative chamber made you corner faster (Or something like that) so my car had max negative chamber and I never figured out why my car slid around so much.

But when I got older I got way better, cant wait for GT5

Dragon-88 09-19-2010 02:21 AM

www.lfs.net

Best driving game to learn.. You can play in car parks and drift around. Get a G27 and teach people stick.. Real clutch simulation and all.. Try the demo if you like it I guarantee you will like the full vr. Plus its online even on demo... Has mix of street race, sport,go cart, GT and F1... Plus cops & robbers insim available in full vr.

Rich Sandor 09-19-2010 08:10 PM

Racing *sims* (not arcade games) do make you a better driver. You can learn weight transfer, understeer/oversteer and skid recovery quite well through racing sims.

However, there are various factors which build to make someone a "good" driver, not just car control.

Unfortunately, there are plenty of drivers who have excellent car control skills, but are too aggressive and take stupid risks.

JSALES 09-19-2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hk20000 (Post 7110299)
who has ordered GT5 Collector's Edition?? :)

wonder if it's worth paying the extra money for

RE-Jo 09-20-2010 08:23 AM

I also pre-ordered GT5:CE~
The die cast model along is suppose to be worth around $75 if you were to buy it separately.

hk20000 09-20-2010 08:28 AM

^+1

and the non CE game itself probably goes for 69.99 anyway coz it's seriously big production game...

BrRsn 09-20-2010 10:28 AM

I always smoke everyone when we go go-karting because forza taught me how to pick the perfect line when entering/exiting corners lol. Surprisingly, made me pretty good with skid recovery in the wet/snow as well. Go figure!
Posted via RS Mobile

bloodmack 09-20-2010 11:21 AM

I preorder GT5 collectors, and I don't have a PS3. It just means that I have to buy a Ps3 now. Woo motivation!

hk20000 09-20-2010 12:30 PM

^ try to land a fat one if you can.... you are probably going to play many hours continuously and the slim one will overheat hahahaha.

teaoh 09-20-2010 03:10 PM

^Has there been any problems with the overheating so far? I'd rather grab a new slim than an old fat one

twitchyzero 09-20-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hk20000 (Post 7112417)
^ try to land a fat one if you can.... you are probably going to play many hours continuously and the slim one will overheat hahahaha.

sounds like you got it backwards...older ps3 are more prone to overheating as it consumes 40% more heat

TypeRNammer 09-20-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodmack (Post 7112325)
I preorder GT5 collectors, and I don't have a PS3. It just means that I have to buy a Ps3 now. Woo motivation!

Dd you pre-order from Futureshop?

Boostslut 09-20-2010 10:30 PM

Sure driving games might make you a bit better of a driver, but i also think that it puts false security in people driving. They will think that they can do a |mad-tyte drifto" in Forza of GT5 they can do it on the street, and puts their car into a ditch, or even worse putting other peoples lives in danger. Just cause it'll work in a game doesn't mean its like that on the street.

Dragon-88 09-21-2010 08:12 AM

Its one thing to understand the physics. But most new drivers problems dont know how to feel the car.

Rich Sandor 09-21-2010 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boostslut (Post 7113259)
Sure driving games might make you a bit better of a driver, but i also think that it puts false security in people driving. They will think that they can do a |mad-tyte drifto" in Forza of GT5 they can do it on the street, and puts their car into a ditch, or even worse putting other peoples lives in danger. Just cause it'll work in a game doesn't mean its like that on the street.

There is a harsh truth to this. Most speed related accidents (wherein drugs & alcohol are not a factor) are due to overconfidence. Driver thinks he can handle the speed, then the car breaks loose quicker than expected, and BAM, into a wall or worse.

This is why ICBC doesn't want new drivers to take advanced high performance training, because they fear it will breed overconfidence.

There is a big part of driver development that focuses solely on psychology and mental fitness of the driver. ICBC and most driving schools do not delve into this at all. But it's absolutely crucial to becoming a better street driver (and professional driver)

Great68 09-21-2010 10:24 AM

Playing racing games when I was younger helped me wipe the floor with the other employees the last time my company did a TBC endurance event... Every stint I went out I would up my team's lead by 5-6 laps.

Mostly it's because it helps you understand things like brake/acceleration points, corner apexes etc.