REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Advanced Forced Induction & N/A Engine Tuning (https://www.revscene.net/forums/advanced-forced-induction-n-engine-tuning_305/)
-   -   Anyone use a bypass valve on their cold air intake? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/625345-anyone-use-bypass-valve-their-cold-air-intake.html)

AVS_Racing 09-19-2010 06:32 PM

Anyone use a bypass valve on their cold air intake?

Anyone use a bypass valve on their cold air intake? cuz im thinking of getting a cai + velocity stack but im worried about sucking in water.

just wondering what your opinion is on it. you guys run a cai on the winter?
anyone notice any loses in power when using the bypass valve? cuz im too lazy to take off my bumper a few times every year to swap out the cai for a short ram when the rain is here + it pretty much rains all year here.

:D

xpl0sive 09-20-2010 10:37 AM

i really dont think water can travel that far up the intake pipe for it to harm anything... if you keep your filter cleaned and oiled, you shouldnt have a problem... and even if a little bit of water gets sucked in, think of it as a meth injection system ;)

shenmecar 09-20-2010 09:24 PM

Get it.

Leopold Stotch 10-25-2010 02:20 AM

if you're worried jst get it, but that's quite a bit of water to get up that high, you'd have to get splashed quite hard to get the water up that high.

08civicsi_coupe 11-03-2010 05:03 PM

get it 100% unless you want a cracked engine block. splashs wont do it its if you drive threw a flooded area mostly

beatdownvictim 12-06-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpl0sive (Post 7112269)
i really dont think water can travel that far up the intake pipe for it to harm anything... if you keep your filter cleaned and oiled, you shouldnt have a problem... and even if a little bit of water gets sucked in, think of it as a meth injection system ;)

clearly you don't know what you're talking about. Spilner.
you're the one that' son meth.

up&atam 12-06-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beatdownvictim (Post 7216761)
clearly you don't know what you're talking about. Spilner.
you're the one that' son meth.

Second that. My gf's car almost hydrolocked this year, and the filter was clean and oiled... it doesnt make a diff. If you're going into a deep puddle... a clean oiled filter isnt going to do shit to prevent water from going into your pipe. Look into a hydro shield by injen if you dont want to cut your pipes for the bypass valve.

TheSalesman 12-09-2010 01:20 PM

I ran a cold air intake for years and never had a problem.
You need to drive through a flooded area enough and have your entire filter submerged in water to get hydrolocked. I don't think you would want to drive through something like that anyways.
Bypass valve is a waste of money.
But if it makes you feel better, then get it.

RevShev 12-20-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVS_Racing (Post 7111550)
Anyone use a bypass valve on their cold air intake? cuz im thinking of getting a cai + velocity stack but im worried about sucking in water.

just wondering what your opinion is on it. you guys run a cai on the winter?
anyone notice any loses in power when using the bypass valve? cuz im too lazy to take off my bumper hid bulbs a few times every year to swap out the cai for a short ram when the rain is here + it pretty much rains all year here.

:D

It won't do anything dude. Just get it.

need2speed 02-10-2011 12:35 AM

aem bypass valve saved my engine last year