REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   do i have to pay tax when buying used electronics & bringing to canada (https://www.revscene.net/forums/626395-do-i-have-pay-tax-when-buying-used-electronics-bringing-canada.html)

03c0upe 10-01-2010 10:18 AM

do i have to pay tax when buying used electronics & bringing to canada

is there tax on used electronics, when bringing back into canada

MrGoodbar 10-01-2010 12:43 PM

if you can put it in your pocket and it looks relatively used, then no

03c0upe 10-01-2010 12:44 PM

well i have all the manuals and cables coming with it so i would declare it, id still have to pay full tax?

CRS 10-01-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03c0upe (Post 7127883)
well i have all the manuals and cables coming with it so i would declare it, id still have to pay full tax?

I think it depends on the person you're try to get it by.

Most won't care, but some can tax you and ask you for proof of purchase.

Mr.HappySilp 10-01-2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 7127941)
I think it depends on the person you're try to get it by.

Most won't care, but some can tax you and ask you for proof of purchase.

How can you provide prof of purchase say if I buy it off someone posted on the Interent (Carglist )?

Jsunu 10-01-2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 7128004)
How can you provide prof of purchase say if I buy it off someone posted on the Interent (Carglist )?

I would, just in case, print out the ad of the item in question if you do get questioned about it. I know I dont want to be in the customs office trying to find a craigslist posting.

TomBox_N 10-01-2010 08:44 PM

Yes, u'll have to pay taxes because u r importing goods into Canada. The amount u report just has to be reasonable and u won't get into shit. Like u get a relative new digi camera & then report that u get it for 10 buck, of course the custom will find it suspicious. If u report like 200, then it's reasonable and customs will take ur word for it.
Posted via RS Mobile

chouchou 10-02-2010 01:10 AM

what i did when i went down for a private purchase was ask the guy you bought from to hand-write a letter... something along the lines of name, address, phone number and details of the transaction. make sure he lists the price, and signs it.

show that customs and you'll be good to go. if you're lucky - they'll let you go for going the extra length, if not you just pay tax... something you're legally obliged to do anyways! =)

good luck.

lgman 10-02-2010 04:58 AM

They have a list of items they tax on. If you declare it then yes they will ask you to go inside and pay it. If you are caught lying they turn your car over/inside out and tax every little thing they find. (Not fun). Or the rare case "didn't ask? don't say shit!" XD!

Most of the time on heavy flow they ignore the small stuff if you're honest about it. But seriously do you need the manuals? box and such? just throw it away or USPS air mail if its really important.

Craigslist, forums, email etc... Print and highlight. Done.

Most of the time you wont run into officer "big-ego-small-strife" because they simply don't see the hardcore thug drug dealer in most of you and they are fishing for bigger signs.

Lloyd Braun 10-02-2010 08:17 AM

Dont think so.

6793026 10-02-2010 09:15 AM

i guess I just have to be clear on duties and taxes.

You can bring a 50K rolex and even though it's an USED watch, do you still have to pay taxes and duties?

illicitstylz 10-02-2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6793026 (Post 7128681)
i guess I just have to be clear on duties and taxes.

You can bring a 50K rolex and even though it's an USED watch, do you still have to pay taxes and duties?

Yes,

it's like saying that I buy a 50k car, do I still have to pay taxes and duties even though the car is USED and PREOWNED

InvisibleSoul 10-02-2010 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03c0upe (Post 7127709)
is there tax on used electronics, when bringing back into canada

The answer is YES, plain and simple.

It doesn't matter whether it's a new item or a used item. The same duties and taxes apply when bringing it across the border.

hotshot1 10-05-2010 07:50 PM

This always bugged me, what's the point of NAFTA if we're getting taxed at the border?

RCubed 10-05-2010 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotshot1 (Post 7132958)
This always bugged me, what's the point of NAFTA if we're getting taxed at the border?

You dont pay duties.

1exotic 10-05-2010 10:02 PM

I'm looking at my invoice for something I bought for $1200 in the US not too long ago, which I picked up in point roberts. The only thing I had to pay was HST... not duty or anything. So that might answer your question.

skholla 10-06-2010 12:02 AM

technically yes you must pay for HST and any applicable duties.

if its use you can smuggle the item across or be honest and declare it. if its $500 or less you will probably get a pass and not have to pay a dime. some officers may ask you to go inside and pay. you will need a bill of sale (hand written will suffice) to prove how much you paid for the item you are importing. 9/10 you will get away with just paying HST, if the item was made outside of north america then duties will apply.

be smart, be honest and good luck!