REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Do I need a new battery? Help Please! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/626856-do-i-need-new-battery-help-please.html)

impulseX 10-06-2010 05:48 PM

Do I need a new battery? Help Please!
 
I've noticed that sometimes my civic has trouble starting at first, or it starts right away. Sometimes it doesn't start on the first tack but does on the 2nd..

I've finally decided to take the battery out and try charging it again..
Thing is, my charger will say the battery is fully charged (the LED indicator) and then it'll turn off.....(i'm assuming its charging again at this point) and then say it's fully charged again. The cycle is constantly repeating.

The last time I charged my battery, It would just show that it's charged, and not do the cycle that's mentioned above.

So, do I need a new battery?
Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

LenovoTurbo 10-11-2010 04:08 AM

Unless your alternator is dying and not charging it, don't take it out and charge.

To check if your alternator is dying or not, start your car and get a multimeter and probe the battery terminals.

Should read at voltage of around 14-14.5volts.

If your battery is not maintenance free, keep the water level topped up to prolong the life of your battery. To top up the water level, pop off the caps that's on the battery with a flat head. Use a funnel or free hand if you'd like and add distilled water until full. Don't over fill it.

Also if there is white crusty substance on top of your battery/terminals, clean it off with a baking soda and water mixture. Brush it on and let it sit for a minute or two. Then rinse it off with water.

There also may be a parasitic draw in your car. Does it have new electrical components installed prior to this?

Puck Luck 10-12-2010 08:49 PM

almost sounds like a starter problem. Need a better description of the problem

aside from voltage, alternator should be check for amp output too.

Fafine 10-12-2010 08:54 PM

what year is the civic?

impulseX 10-12-2010 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck Luck (Post 7142700)
almost sounds like a starter problem. Need a better description of the problem

aside from voltage, alternator should be check for amp output too.

it doesnt always happen. its just once in a while, like the odd time, i'll start my car, and it'll seem like it almost wants to die at that moment, but stays started up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fafine (Post 7142709)
what year is the civic?

its a 98 civic.



the reason i wonder if i'll need a new battery is because it has died once before from just being parked for too long without being driven, and my alarm basically drained the battery away.

wrench 10-14-2010 07:03 AM

How does the engine turn over. Does it slow down when cranking or crank good and just doesnt start. If its turning over well, its not your battery look at a crank sensor or fuel pressure regulator.

wrench 10-14-2010 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by impulseX (Post 7143019)

the reason i wonder if i'll need a new battery is because it has died once before from just being parked for too long without being driven, and my alarm basically drained the battery away.

If you drain your battery in this manner, it is best to trickle charge your battery to regain your reserve capacity. If you charge it normally, you battery becomes sulfated and won't hold a charge.

Do a load test on your battery. If it fails, drain your battery completely and trickle charge it at about 2amp for the day and you will regain some of its capacity.

impulseX 10-16-2010 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrench (Post 7144896)
How does the engine turn over. Does it slow down when cranking or crank good and just doesnt start. If its turning over well, its not your battery look at a crank sensor or fuel pressure regulator.

hm... it's kind of hard to describe. like i've said before, its just the odd occasion where it it seems like it doesn't have a strong start up.. maybe i'll try catching a video of it next time i try to start it up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrench (Post 7144898)
If you drain your battery in this manner, it is best to trickle charge your battery to regain your reserve capacity. If you charge it normally, you battery becomes sulfated and won't hold a charge.

Do a load test on your battery. If it fails, drain your battery completely and trickle charge it at about 2amp for the day and you will regain some of its capacity.

when i charged my battery after it died that time, i charged at 2amps for the day, and have been using it since.

wrench 10-16-2010 07:50 AM

That may have solved your problem for now. One other thing to check would be voltage drop across your starting circuit wiring.

Take a volt meter, set it to ohms and check the resistence in the wiring at each connection in the circuit from end to end of the wiring terminals. i.e Hold one on the battery ground and the other on the frame. Then frame to engine, engine to battery.

Then do the positive side, positive battery terminal to alternator, and also to starter.

Check all your wiring as you go throught the test. If any are loose or corroded or you get a reading above 0.4ohms take the connection off, clean it and reinstall and test again.

Hope this helps, once your starting circuit is eliminated you know to look elseware. Are any codes coming up?

Cheers


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net