REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   Older tranny into newer car? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/626859-older-tranny-into-newer-car.html)

The_AK 10-06-2010 06:04 PM

Older tranny into newer car?

So heres a question,

I need to replace the input shaft bearing in my tranny but having a shop do it is going to be too expensive. Also, I don't want to bother taking the entire tranny apart myself to replace just that one bearing. My car is a 2004 Civic (d17a1 engine) and I'm wondering am I able to swap in a different tranny from a different civic as long as it came from a d series engine(example: tranny from a d16y7?). I know that its illegal to swap in an older engine, is it the same from transmissions too?

Thanks

Berzerker 10-06-2010 06:08 PM

As long as the tranny's bolt up it's fine. However I have no idea if your model D will fit a Y7 or Y8 etc. tranny... I think your model might be a bastard and only fitting parts from itself onto itself. Again I'm not sure as nobody ever mods those models haha.

Berz out.

Puck Luck 10-06-2010 07:03 PM

for what it costs to buy and install a used trans, i think you're better off to pay a little more a fix the one you have.

d16y7 i believe is an older generation civic that uses shift rods. Yours uses cables.

I've never heard of any law about swapping engines from an older car

lexluthor09 10-06-2010 09:29 PM

I thought the whole illegal engine swap thing was in the states only?

Anyways berz is correct that that engine d series is the bastard engine.

kokanee_vtec 11-28-2010 06:19 PM

OP I'm pretty sure there is a recall on that trans.

MindBomber 11-28-2010 07:01 PM

No, there was never a recall on the 01-05 civic transmission, but there was a service bulletin sent out in 2003 warning of possible premature failure for the auto.

Is your trans manual or auto?
In the auto the torque converter, dipstick, trans cooler, fluid filter and clutch packs have all been revealed as defective.

Nechako87 11-28-2010 07:12 PM

Please don't put any trannies into your car, young or old :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Gearheads EK9 11-30-2010 10:27 PM

I can find you a good used one from the 01-05 generation Civic if you are interested. If the input shaft bearing is the only part to replace, it shouldn't be too expensive if you get it done with us. Please PM me if you're interested in a quote.

Puck Luck 11-30-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7207114)
No, there was never a recall on the 01-05 civic transmission, but there was a service bulletin sent out in 2003 warning of possible premature failure for the auto.

I can't seem to find this bulletin. Do you have the bulletin number?

MindBomber 12-01-2010 01:24 AM

No, in 2003 I didn't take it very seriously cause I thought a Honda was invincible, so I just deleted the email. Search around on forums, Honda paid for a lot of transmissions to be replaced around that time because they failed on cars that racked up the miles fast.