REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   Tire Advice please (https://www.revscene.net/forums/627271-tire-advice-please.html)

Leopold Stotch 10-11-2010 03:15 AM

Tire Advice please

Hey. Guys

Sorta stuck in the middle in terms of what I want for my tires

Size: 245/35/19 and 255/40/19
UHP or Max Perf summer tires
Tread wear hopefully 250-300
Price range: $200-220 each
I also would prefer it to be directional and not inside/outside so I can swap the tires to each side

Thanks for your suggestions
Posted via RS Mobile

Adrenaline Rush 10-11-2010 11:34 AM

Within your price range, I've heard good things about these tires:

Kumho SPT
Vredestein Sessanta
Hankook Ventus V12
Bridgestone RE760

Leopold Stotch 10-11-2010 08:05 PM

great suggestions

i'm thinking either the hankooks or the kumhos. the kumhos are much more tempting having 320 treadwear.

roastpuff 10-12-2010 11:54 AM

Got the SPT's, and they are pretty good tires. Grip great, wet or dry (I autocross/track mainly in the wet, I rarely get a dry day). Tough tires, I subject them to abuse (MAJOR potholes/bumps etc) and they haven't burst or deformed yet, haha. Treadwear looks good, I have a torquey front-drive car (300lb/ft) and they don't show much wear yet after 5000km of abuse/hard pulls/auto-cross/track.

My main complaint is noise and ride; they are not very quiet except on the newly-paved smooth roads, and the ride isn't the best (but the XL sidewalls and much higher load rating than recommended I have probably don't help). They also seem to be a pain to balance properly; they don't seem to stay balanced or get unbalanced very easily.

Leopold Stotch 10-15-2010 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roastpuff (Post 7142003)
Got the SPT's, and they are pretty good tires. Grip great, wet or dry (I autocross/track mainly in the wet, I rarely get a dry day). Tough tires, I subject them to abuse (MAJOR potholes/bumps etc) and they haven't burst or deformed yet, haha. Treadwear looks good, I have a torquey front-drive car (300lb/ft) and they don't show much wear yet after 5000km of abuse/hard pulls/auto-cross/track.

My main complaint is noise and ride; they are not very quiet except on the newly-paved smooth roads, and the ride isn't the best (but the XL sidewalls and much higher load rating than recommended I have probably don't help). They also seem to be a pain to balance properly; they don't seem to stay balanced or get unbalanced very easily.

i've never heard of a tire getting unbalanced, that's odd,
not to say it's true or w/e but, could it be your wheels?

roastpuff 10-19-2010 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch (Post 7146680)
i've never heard of a tire getting unbalanced, that's odd,
not to say it's true or w/e but, could it be your wheels?

What I meant is that they seem to need a lot of weights to balance out, and they get unbalanced easily? Not sure if it's my wheels or anything...

Good tire overall though.

Mugen EvOlutioN 10-20-2010 02:00 PM

im surprise you like the SPT

SPT is pretty bad in the rain

for the similar amount of money, General UHP > SPT

jing 10-20-2010 02:03 PM

I run the Hankook V12 up front and am happy with how they have performed thus far, wet and dry. Great for the price IMO.
Posted via RS Mobile

roastpuff 10-20-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 7153139)
im surprise you like the SPT

SPT is pretty bad in the rain

for the similar amount of money, General UHP > SPT

Haven't tried the UHP, leery of the soft sidewall. My car rolls enough as it is, I want stiffer sidewalls for autocross.

The SPT is decent in the wet; not spectacular. It's much better than the stock Dunlop SP01 A/S that came with the car, or the ContiProContacts that I've used.

My SPT's are relatively new; maybe when it loses more tread it will suck more in the rain.

Overseas Auto1 10-21-2010 10:52 AM

i would say the Hankook Ventus is the best value right now. You have a pm with price

AWDTurboLuvr 10-21-2010 01:36 PM

I run Falken FK-452s on the wife's Audi. Fantastic tire, great wear and good levels of grip in both dry and wet.

Leopold Stotch 02-12-2011 04:04 PM

back from the dead.

how long do these UHP tires with 320-380 treadwear last for you guys?

still haven't bought new tires, but i'm slipping on manholes so i should probably get on that now.

Adrenaline Rush 02-14-2011 05:39 PM

Depends how aggressively you drive. If you're driving to get milk and go to and from work, a lot longer than if you do track days and/or autox. Figure on 20k to 40k kilometres.

Leopold Stotch 02-14-2011 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrenaline Rush (Post 7305373)
Depends how aggressively you drive. If you're driving to get milk and go to and from work, a lot longer than if you do track days and/or autox. Figure on 20k to 40k kilometres.

oh really? nice, i dont plan to track or auto x. maybe to the drag strip once a month.

good to know, thanks

mbl2 02-17-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch (Post 7302924)

how long do these UHP tires with 320-380 treadwear last for you guys?

I always though manufacturer's treadwear ratings were different, so you can't really compare two different tires even with the same ratings.

Have you chosen a tire yet?

baggdis300 02-18-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrenaline Rush (Post 7305373)

i drive a little too aggresively apparently, my tires(bridgestone potenza allseason) from 80% to not being safe to pass a VI only took 10k miles....

Leopold Stotch 02-18-2011 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbl2 (Post 7309471)
I always though manufacturer's treadwear ratings were different, so you can't really compare two different tires even with the same ratings.

Have you chosen a tire yet?

no i haven't, i was thinking Hankook ventus' but a few people on G35 driver, complained about short life span.

i drive about 15k a year, so i want them to last at least 2 years, but HP summer tires aren't as popular as UHP,

also thinking about General Acclaims.