REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Island Off-Topic (https://www.revscene.net/forums/island-off-topic_147/)
-   -   Those who have recently moved to the island, what have been your biggest adjustments? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/627471-those-who-have-recently-moved-island-what-have-been-your-biggest-adjustments.html)

Great68 10-13-2010 10:33 AM

Those who have recently moved to the island, what have been your biggest adjustments?

I'm going on my fourth year of living over here, it got me thinking about what I had to adjust to or miss about the mainland.

1) Mission Raceway.
I used to spend many Friday summer nights out at Mission. Although I have never been to western speedway, I can't imagine it's even close to the same.

2) Stock levels of retail stores, having to special order more often.
In Vancouver if one store was out of stock, there were usually many more other stores which would have stock of the item I was looking for.

3) Hipsters.
I don't know if there are more of them here, or if they are just in greater concentration.

4) The Fox and Rock101
I just don't get good enough reception of those stations in my car, where I listen to the radio the most.
The Q plays too much shit like Triumph, Styx, and Journey, and sometimes new pussy shit like "Train". Would it kill them to play a little more Zeppelin? More AC/DC? I can't remember the number of times now I've woken up to "Don't stop believing" on my Alarm clock radio... :mad:
The Zone doesn't play enough heavy stuff, more metallica, less deathcab for cutie, Teagan and Sara, and metric please

5) Tourists and old Farts
Never really had as much of the annoyance of either of these when I lived in Vancouver (Richmond)

NashMan 10-13-2010 01:05 PM

i am wiht you i am starting to hate it here

and i think i would move to Vancouver

after being in a big city you under stand why is kinda sucks here

after being in tronto for a long time really open my mind on how fucked up this city is for building and plaining wise for exmaple the old island highway what waste of fucken money that shit show is

build a fucken over pass at makenzie for fuck sakes

Great68 10-13-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NashMan (Post 7143639)
i am wiht you i am starting to hate it here

and i think i would move to Vancouver

Oh no don't get me wrong, despite the few things I mentioned above, I would NEVER, EVER move back to Vancouver on my own will.

The pace of growth and development has become rediculous. It's gotten way too crowded for me. Not to mention, I do notice a bit of a cultural difference.

NashMan 10-13-2010 10:17 PM

i would never live down town just like langly

Nightwalker 10-14-2010 06:37 PM

The Fox and Rock101 are almost all I listen to, come in crystal clear around here :)

Paradox 10-17-2010 10:59 PM

Vic sucks. mostly because of the tourists and old people, traffic, etc. and yet theres no room to grow. so we are doomed to live in a traffic nightmare.

keep those condo's coming.

NashMan 10-18-2010 07:15 PM

^ you never leav your house you hermit

stevo911_ 10-19-2010 09:49 PM

I think the hipster-per-capita ratio is much higher over hear (cook st. village anyone?)
After moving back from Vancouver it took some adjusting to the polar opposite driving styles (Vancouver everyone is intent on driving aggressively like a jackass, Victoria everyone is slow and oblivious)

DiscoQuinn 01-05-2011 10:24 PM

I moved to Victoria about a year ago from Kitchener Ontario. There is a great collection of weird and interesting cars on the island. The problem I am finding is it's difficult to make private transactions on the island. I live a very different lifestyle than most, and finding free and cheap items that are useful on the island is very difficult. Perhaps I just haven't opened my network of friends up enough yet, but this my biggest complaint so far.

I find the roads and scenery beautiful. One of the biggest reasons I moved out here. Another was the clean old Japanese cars. I dislike the highway drivers, in the city people are fine, many good, few bad. However, I'm used to the big Ontario 400 series highways, and it drives me absolutely bonkers when I'm in the fast lane and people are pacing each other in the slow and fast lane. Move over, please and thank you.