REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   just aircrared means no problems? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/628094-just-aircrared-means-no-problems.html)

shtone 10-20-2010 04:49 PM

just aircrared means no problems?

does a car that has just been aircared means there is no problems with it since it was aircared? im looking to pick up a 1989 corolla and im not quite sure if i shuold get a inspection or not, i just dont want to end up buying a car and not being able to use it the next month cause it has a blown head gasket and i dont have the money to fix it.

Oscar_Binswood 10-20-2010 05:46 PM

Get the inspection done. Just because it "passed" aircare doesn't mean it's mechanically sound. There's lots of ways to get through the test without fixing the real issue. The extra $100 or so for the inspection will also give you an idea of what you're getting yourself into.

shtone 10-20-2010 08:05 PM

where is the best place to get an inspection done for $100? and what kind of inspection test should be done? just compression? i never done an inspection befor so some info will help. thanks.

Jgresch 10-20-2010 08:08 PM

you suck at buying cars man lol

get an inspection done around 100 bucks at most reputable shops...

Full inspection will inspect every part of the car to make sure its good, not only compression test. They will also tell you if it's been hit by a train or not.....

shtone 10-20-2010 08:53 PM

will bcaa do a on spot full inspection you think? like call them to come to this guys house to do all the inspections at any time??

fliptuner 10-20-2010 08:58 PM

Considering that one can pass Aircare with bad main/conrod bearings, multiple engine leaks, a bad tranny, no brakes, bald tires, bad front end, rusty undercarriage, lights not working, no wipers, no doors, dead bodies in the trunk, etc., etc.......yeah, get an inspection

LenovoTurbo 10-20-2010 09:31 PM

Passing Aircare just means that the exhaust gasses coming out of your tail pipe isn't going to cause global warming faster than usual. It's not related to how good your car's condition is in overall.

Phil@rise 10-21-2010 09:02 AM

Just aircared means nothing more then capable of being insured. Not should be insured. We do pre purchace inspections for $75 this includes a comp check and full visual for mechanical and structural issues as well as a road test.

Oscar_Binswood 10-21-2010 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shtone (Post 7153852)
will bcaa do a on spot full inspection you think? like call them to come to this guys house to do all the inspections at any time??

BCAA I believe will offer mobile service.. But not sure if how much it'll run you. Just take it to a reputable shop so they can at least throw it on the hoist. There's only so much you can see crawling underneath the car in some dudes driveway. Be sure to check all wear and tear items as the cost can add up quick. IE: Tires, brakes, fluids, these alone can already run you around $1000 or more.

gdoh 10-21-2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jgresch (Post 7153780)
you suck at buying cars man lol

get an inspection done around 100 bucks at most reputable shops...

Full inspection will inspect every part of the car to make sure its good, not only compression test. They will also tell you if it's been hit by a train or not.....

:rofl:

PuYang 10-21-2010 10:57 AM

BCAA charges ~140 i think, for a certain number of inspections. (like X# point inspection). i cant remember.

i believe with BCAA, you tell them the location of the car, and you contact the car owner to work out a schedule for BCAA to go visit that car. BCAA will then go and inspect it, and forward you a checklist with "Pass and Fails" etc etc. and give you a overall summary of if the car is worth it or not. i think the overall process is 1-2 days. (inspect, and summary forwarded to you).

i called them a few months ago before i bought my current car, a nd my memory sucks. i ended up buying at a dealership, so i didnt use BCAA.

vitaminG 10-29-2010 05:38 PM

aircare will tell you that the engine is running reasonably well. I dont see the point in speding $100 to get a $1000 car inspected. If anything is majorly wrong with it you'll prolly be able to tell.

And who cares if its been in an accident its an 89 corolla im sure if it was hit it was a long time ago cause it doesnt take much to write off a $1000 car. So its probably gone a while since any major accident in which case im sure its fine.