REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Tinting driver and passenger windows, penalties? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/628164-tinting-driver-passenger-windows-penalties.html)

sebberry 10-26-2010 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 7161586)
for it to actually make a difference, it definitely makes your car quite unsafe to drive.

A 60% tint on the front side windows doesn't make the car "quite unsafe", yet still blocks 60% of IR.

Soundy 10-26-2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7161498)
Did I bother with a thermometer? No.

Then your observations are purely subjective and thus not a valid legal argument.

Quote:

But I can say that the AC struggles less and cools the car faster and it certainly doesn't feel as hot getting into it after it has been sitting in the sun.
Still subjective... and again, "Struggles less and cools faster" relative to what? Not valid, unless making before-and-after comparisons under identical conditions.

gars 10-26-2010 06:05 PM

like i explained, it blocks the IR from heating the surface of your interior - such as your dash and seats, but the heat is still absorbed by the car. The air in your car will still be hot, but the surface of your seats (leather, not cloth) and dash will not be as warm to touch. Very little IR is reflected back out because of the tint.

Soundy 10-26-2010 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7161608)
A 60% tint on the front side windows doesn't make the car "quite unsafe", yet still blocks 60% of IR.

No, it blocks 60% of visible light.

sebberry 10-26-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7161661)

Tint percentage refers to visible light transmission, so a 60% tint blocks 40% of visible light.

Huper Optik 60% VLT tint blocks 60% of IR light.
http://www.huperoptikusa.com/ceramic-series.cfm

sebberry 10-26-2010 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 7161657)
like i explained, it blocks the IR from heating the surface of your interior - such as your dash and seats, but the heat is still absorbed by the car. The air in your car will still be hot, but the surface of your seats (leather, not cloth) and dash will not be as warm to touch. Very little IR is reflected back out because of the tint.

Which in turn are responsible for radiating that heat back into the air inside the car. If you block it from coming in in the first place, you have much less IR turning the surfaces inside the car into heaters.

Low-e residential windows are another example. Walking on the sunlight-soaked carpet in front of my low-e windows is significantly cooler than the carpet in front of my non low-e windows on the same side of the building.

gars 10-26-2010 07:04 PM

did you read my post? the windows themselves absorb the heat and become warmer, in turn - which still heats up the air inside your car. Your car isn't just heated by the surfaces inside the car. The car itself absorbs heat, which in turns heats in the inside of the car. Which is why a black car will heat up quicker than a white car.

sebberry 10-26-2010 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 7161761)
did you read my post? the windows themselves absorb the heat and become warmer, in turn - which still heats up the air inside your car. Your car isn't just heated by the surfaces inside the car. The car itself absorbs heat, which in turns heats in the inside of the car. Which is why a black car will heat up quicker than a white car.

Yes, the car itself (body, windows, etc..) will still absorb some heat and radiate that into the interior. The amount of heat that the body radiates into the car is the same regardless of the windows being tinted.

In an untinted car, the IR that passes through the windows causes interior surfaces to heat up, ADDING to the heating already taking place via the body and glass.

By blocking and reflecting the IR at the windows, you greatly reduce the IR that causes interior surfaces to heat up. This means that 1) seats are much more comfortable to sit on and 2) interior surfaces aren't radiating as much heat back into the interior air.

In your example, 100% of the blocked IR goes to heating up the windows and 100% of the heat that the windows are holding is now radiated into the inside of the car, virtually eliminating the benefit of having tinted windows.

What you haven't accounted for is the heat that the windows release back into the outside air.

Sure, the windows may pass some of their heat back to the interior of the car, but hot interior surfaces pass all of the heat into the car.

gars 10-26-2010 08:50 PM

Actually that's false, the interior surfaces also reflect part of the heat from the sunlight, AND will radiate it's on heat, and the tinted windows, in this case will actually hold that radiation in the car - the Greenhouse effect.

sebberry 10-26-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 7161998)
Actually that's false, the interior surfaces also reflect part of the heat from the sunlight, AND will radiate it's own heat, and the tinted windows, in this case will actually hold that radiation in the car - the Greenhouse effect.

Heat which comes primarily from IR light entering through the windows and hit the surfaces... how else do you think they get hot? :rolleyes:

heero78 11-04-2010 11:42 AM

uhm..just wondering..what is the tinting law now?
Can I still go as dark as I want on any window that is behind the drivers shoulder? And what about the front windows and windshield?

thanks

Soundy 11-04-2010 12:07 PM

Same as it has been for years: you can completely black out anything "behind the driver's shoulders"... IF you have BOTH side mirrors.

Nothing from the driver forward is allowed any level of tint.

sebberry 11-04-2010 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7172678)
Nothing from the driver forward is allowed any level of tint.

In BC anyway. Thre are many states and some provinces that came to their senses long ago and permit some level of tint on the front side windows.

Soundy 11-05-2010 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7173391)
In BC anyway. Thre are many states and some provinces that came to their senses long ago and permit some level of tint on the front side windows.

Which is quite irrelevant as heero78 is IN BC. :rolleyes:

sebTeggy 11-05-2010 08:35 AM

Stfu. Nobody here is taking thermodynamics so stfu.
Posted via RS Mobile

baggdis300 11-23-2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruthless (Post 7154980)
Depending on where you live most cops wont pull you over for tint, they may pull you over for speeding and then add the tint ticket/VI on top of that....so as long as you don't draw too much attention to yourself and the tint is light you should be ok, all depending on where you live though cuz richmond cops can be dicks

thats total BS

i had gotten my car's fronts tinted at 50% and got pulled over in new west..

i guess they didn;t like the look of a blacked out lexus on 19's

shitty part i didn't even have the tint on for a 2 weeks

baggdis300 11-23-2010 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 7161661)

no it blocks 40% of visible light, and lefts 50% thru...

just like 5% only lets 5% light thru and blocks 95....

MindBomber 11-23-2010 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baggdis300 (Post 7200541)
no it blocks 40% of visible light, and lefts 50% thru...

What happens to the other 10%?

baggdis300 11-29-2010 09:06 PM

typo smart ass i ment 60

gearshifter 11-14-2011 05:09 PM

Sorry for bumping an old topic, but curious to ask as nobody seemed to answer the question:

Does the tint ticket carry points? And if so, how many?

Thanks.

XplicitLuder 11-14-2011 09:29 PM

dont think it does

parm104 11-15-2011 12:54 AM

Window tint does not result in points.

For reference: please check on the ICBC website. There are lists that show what violations receive points and how many points they receive.

gearshifter 11-15-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parm104 (Post 7689568)
Window tint does not result in points.

For reference: please check on the ICBC website. There are lists that show what violations receive points and how many points they receive.

Problem is that they do not show everything. While at the same time, they some offences that carry 0 points. However, this tint one wasn't listed there.

ICBC | Fines and penalty points for B.C. traffic offences

zulutango 11-15-2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearshifter (Post 7689802)
Problem is that they do not show everything. While at the same time, they some offences that carry 0 points. However, this tint one wasn't listed there.

ICBC | Fines and penalty points for B.C. traffic offences

No points assigned...but the VI, VT, tow, storage etc cost if you end up that way.

gearshifter 11-16-2011 04:20 AM

Can the cop legally physically take it off on the spot him/herself?