REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   give her gas befor down shifting? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/628818-give-her-gas-befor-down-shifting.html)

shtone 10-28-2010 07:20 PM

give her gas befor down shifting?

sup all i just picked up an rsx-s a few days ago and im a bit confuzed about downshifting still, i had a stick car in the past but never bother giving gas when i down shifted, now that this car is much more expensive i would like to down shift properly..

someone told me u need to give it gas befor down shifting, now i've tried this so far and i dont know if i should hold the gas down a bit while releasing the clutch or give gas and let go of the gas, And then let the clutch go to down shift?

rJZx 10-28-2010 07:28 PM

You really don't have to put in gas when downshifting... balancing it just makes it a smoother transition.

shtone 10-28-2010 07:59 PM

just wanted some some advice from experienced drivers thanks!

sonick 10-29-2010 07:23 AM

You don't HAVE to give it gas, as the syncro's in the transmission will compensate for the rev mismatch. However, it is not a bad habit to pick up as it smooths out the shift and it saves syncro wear.

Just blip the throttle (gas and let go) when you have the clutch pedal down.

Fk I miss driving a manual.

Soundy 10-29-2010 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shtone (Post 7164482)
someone told me u need to give it gas befor down shifting, now i've tried this so far and i dont know if i should hold the gas down a bit while releasing the clutch or give gas and let go of the gas, And then let the clutch go to down shift?

The idea is just to match the engine revs to the lower gear. For example, say when you're in second and doing 60k, you're at 4000rpm (just pulling random numbers out here, BTW)... then if you're doing 60 in third and wanting to downshift to second, you'd rev up to around 4000rpm before releasing the clutch, so you don't get that sudden deceleration.

How you get there isn't really critical, so just practice it and use a method that's comfortable for you. As sonick says, you don't HAVE to do it, it just makes your driving smoother.

(I miss driving a manual too...)

sonick 10-29-2010 07:46 AM

Plus, if you rev-match perfectly, the shifter slides into gear slicker than a wet vagina.

Spidey 10-29-2010 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 7165026)
Plus, if you rev-match perfectly, the shifter slides into gear slicker than a wet vagina.

lolol what he said!!!!! but yea.. if you rev match=easier on synchros.. and smoother transition.. that is pretty much it. i am lazy and hardly rev match anymore.. unless i am going from higher to lower gear at high rpms... but i just blip the gas

rJZx 10-29-2010 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonick (Post 7165026)

plus it makes you feel like your the boss :thumbsup: haha jk.

mx555 11-05-2010 02:26 PM

So if I rev match I won't wear out the synchros? How long do they usually last? Do I have the let the clutch out once or twice? Cuz I heard some people talking about double clutching, but I'm not too sure why u need to press the clutch twice for one shift.
Posted via RS Mobile

Berzerker 11-05-2010 02:31 PM

Granny shifting not double cluchin' like you should....

That's noob. Did you know you can drive without the clutch at all!!! Try revmatching and not using the clutch you'll find you can shift gears still. Crazy I know!

Berz out.

InvisibleSoul 11-05-2010 02:38 PM

1.) Step on clutch
2.) Apply some throttle
3.) Downshift
4.) Release clutch

Steps 2 & 3 can be done interchangeably or concurrently.

Puck Luck 11-05-2010 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 7174355)
1.) Step on clutch
2.) Apply some throttle
3.) Downshift
4.) Release clutch

Steps 2 & 3 can be done interchangeably or concurrently.

this helps match road speed to engine speed and smooths out clutch engagement.
Doesn't really help for actual shifter movement/engagement, or matching transmissioin input to output speed though. When you step on the clutch, you've now disconnected the input shaft from the engine and can't possibly raise input shaft speed. Unless it's raised using the synco's, via the output shaft (road speed). This last sentence is what caused wear on the syncos

impulseX 11-05-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shtone (Post 7116700)
wow theres seriously some dumb fucks on this forum..

gees this forums filled with fuck tards i dont think i will use this shit no more

thought you were done with revscene

mx555 11-06-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck Luck (Post 7174522)
this helps match road speed to engine speed and smooths out clutch engagement.
Doesn't really help for actual shifter movement/engagement, or matching transmissioin input to output speed though. When you step on the clutch, you've now disconnected the input shaft from the engine and can't possibly raise input shaft speed. Unless it's raised using the synco's, via the output shaft (road speed). This last sentence is what caused wear on the syncos

Thaaaat's what I was looking for.
Pay attention kids, this man is 100% correct.
It doesn't save synchro wear, unless Ur double clutching. It doesn't make the shifter go in faster.
All it does is make the transition smooth.
Posted via RS Mobile