REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Nissan / Infiniti Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/nissan-infiniti-tech-resources_312/)
-   -   roll cage help, (https://www.revscene.net/forums/629265-roll-cage-help.html)

ThatKoukiKid 11-03-2010 12:33 PM

roll cage help,

so i was thinking about which kind of roll cage i should get for a RPS13 (180sx)

cusco safety 21 cage (7 point) or a 4 point roll cage.

what do you guys think? have any suggestions?

SumAznGuy 11-03-2010 12:48 PM

What do you plan on doing with the car?

If you are taking it out to a sanctioned event, the Cusco cage might not pass inspection.

I would recommend getting a custom cage built to spec based on what you plan on doing with the car.

Akira@Rise 11-03-2010 02:53 PM

SumAznGuy is right, for private events may be OK with cusco bolt on cage however, road racing officials are not going to like bolt on cages, here is link you can check out rules http://www.missionraceway.com/index.php

SumAznGuy 11-03-2010 05:24 PM

There is nothing wrong, per se, with bolt-in cages/roll bars as long as the mounting plates are properly placed and sized.

There was a Mustang that flipped over while road racing and the cage held up, but one of the mounting plates failed and the leg shot out from under the car making the cage useless.

The problem with the Cusco cage is a) wall thickness of the tubes, and tube diameter b) bends around the dash. In a roll over, you want the cage to stay up so the roof doesn't collaps in on you, but some of the Cusco cages have bent tubes that go around the dash. These bends now become the weak part of the cages.

IIRC, some racing bodies in the US forbid the use of Cusco cages for these exact reasons.

Rich Sandor 11-03-2010 05:31 PM

SumAznGuy is 100% correct.

If you are planning on autocrossing, drag racing or road racing, or sanctioned event drifting, you should FIRST check out what the minimum requirements are for a roll cage.

If you want a cage 'just for fun' - I would STRONGLY advise against it. The reason being, you are more likely to get injured in your car if you have a roll cage, without the extra safety equipment that goes with it - fixed back seat, 6 point harness, helmet, extra padding, etc.

jing 11-03-2010 05:33 PM

Judging by the quality of his other posts I'd say it's safe to assume that the car will not see any track time and that his desire to cage his car is purely for aesthetic reasons.

SumAznGuy 11-03-2010 07:55 PM

Did a google search of the Cucso safety 21 cage, and the design of the cage in the generic pic looked good, but the mounting plates looked to be too small for SCCA standards. Still not sure if the piping is thick enough to make it pass inspection.

What Rich is talking about is your helmetless head hitting one of the upper bars when you move around in an accident. Even with a 3 point belt on, you will move around quite a bit which makes it very dangerous.

ThatKoukiKid 11-08-2010 12:35 PM

drifting and autocross.

thanks guyss for the response

SumAznGuy 11-08-2010 01:22 PM

autoX will probably be fine with that cage.

I'm not too sure about drifting.

seekerbeta 11-08-2010 02:25 PM

You should call
Jim Obalek Racing
Unit 18 – Raceway Park
32929 Mission Way, Mission BC
604 814 1320

Hes been in the NHRA and AHRA for years, drives a Jet Funnycar and an Alcohal Burning Nostalga Funny Car, he build awesome cages, but they are not cheap

Overseas Auto1 11-08-2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90_BNR32 (Post 7171150)
so i was thinking about which kind of roll cage i should get for a RPS13 (180sx)

cusco safety 21 cage (7 point) or a 4 point roll cage.

what do you guys think? have any suggestions?

we carry the Autopower Industries Roll Cages. They are the ones approved by the SCCA. give us a call, 604 879 6288

progas 01-10-2011 05:33 PM

We do custom roll bars cages etc... check out the BMW on our website
thanks

Berzerker edit: If you would like to advertise on revscene please check out our sponsorship packages thank you.

Overseas Auto1 01-11-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by progas (Post 7259272)
We do custom roll bars cages etc... check out the BMW on our website
thanks

Berzerker edit: If you would like to advertise on revscene please check out our sponsorship packages thank you.

Who are you referring to ?

progas 01-11-2011 08:27 AM

I had sent an email to your ad dept awaiting a response thanks .

Overseas Auto1 01-11-2011 08:35 AM

i have not seen any emails from you to the ad department.