REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Photography Lab (https://www.revscene.net/forums/photography-lab_205/)
-   -   Inexpensive Reliable AA Charger (https://www.revscene.net/forums/629805-inexpensive-reliable-aa-charger.html)

Levitron 11-09-2010 01:29 PM

Inexpensive Reliable AA Charger

What's something you recommend?

Senna4ever 11-09-2010 02:55 PM

I have an Energizer brand one that was about $20 including 4 AA batteries, and it works fine.

mpr 11-09-2010 02:59 PM

got a duracell one. charger + 4 AA rechargeables. works great for charging my mouse and keyboard batteries... just changed it right now.

stevo911_ 11-09-2010 03:28 PM

I concur with Senna4ever.

I have the 2500mAh NiMH Energizer Rechargeables.
I've been using the same batteries in my Xbox 360 & Wii controllers since the 360 came out (and before that they were what I used in my old digi cam for a couple years), and the ones in my wireless mouse and keyboard I've been using since 2005. Never had one leak, still all hold a solid charge (unlike the old crappy NiCad ones I used to use)

m3thods 11-09-2010 03:49 PM

I have the Energizers and they are going strong.

I was lucky to get Eneloops (charger 4AA 4AAA car kit) for $20 during the Dell deal days. They do hold charge in my 580ex better compared to my energizers, but not by much (~20 shots)

ilvtofu 11-09-2010 04:03 PM

I am using eneloops from costco on my 580ex too!

Conan O'Brien Sex Video 11-09-2010 04:20 PM

eneloops also!

!MiKrofT 11-09-2010 04:32 PM

Eneloops and Duraloops ftw.

The only good charger I keep hearing about are the Maha ones. However they're not cheap.

moky 11-09-2010 06:44 PM

i've tried energizer, duracell, panasonic and sanyo.
i'd have to go with energizer and duracell tho.

m3thods 11-09-2010 07:27 PM

i think i read on engadget or gizmodo that certain energizer or duracell models were eneloops in disguise. you probably can't go wrong with any of the big brands.

ddr 11-09-2010 09:16 PM

the 'duraloops' are white top rechargeable duracells.

i don't use my rechargeables (and subsequently the charger) enough to tell, but i just use the one that came with my eneloops. apparently there's a 1-hour quick charge one, and one that charges longer and supposed to be better on your batteries.

ppl love the ones offered here though. have a look.

syee 11-09-2010 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !MiKrofT (Post 7179716)
Eneloops and Duraloops ftw.

The only good charger I keep hearing about are the Maha ones. However they're not cheap.

Yeah, I bought my Lacrosse BC900 (which I believe the same as the Maha one you're referring to) for about $40 from Amazon. It's a bit better than a regular charger because you can charge batteries individually and it gives an indicator on each battery's condition. It also has adjustable charge rates so you can slow charge or quick charge as well as a "battery refresh" cycle which discharges and recharges your battery 20 times to try to bring old batteries back to life. It's also dual voltage if you want to take it overseas. (surprisingly, none of my other cheapie chargers were dual voltage)

Apparently, there's lesser models (BC700) out there but I'm not sure what the difference is.

I also use Eneloops exclusively since most of my battery use is on devices that are low drain but require a longer shelf life. (i.e. cordless keyboard/mouse, remote controls, etc) I also have a couple of sets of Eneloops/Duraloops for my flash as well and it seems to work well. I'm sure you can however get a bit more juice from the regular NiMH batteries as well since they have a higher capacity (usually more than the 2000mAh you get from the Eneloops) but you'll just have to remember to recharge them the night before you use them.

!MiKrofT 11-09-2010 11:21 PM

I've got both the 1 hour quick and slow eneloop charger. I use depending on when I need batteries. But since I stocked up at SDM sale I don't use the fast charger anymore.

Senna4ever 11-09-2010 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by syee (Post 7180211)
Yeah, I bought my Lacrosse BC900 (which I believe the same as the Maha one you're referring to) for about $40 from Amazon. It's a bit better than a regular charger because you can charge batteries individually and it gives an indicator on each battery's condition. It also has adjustable charge rates so you can slow charge or quick charge as well as a "battery refresh" cycle which discharges and recharges your battery 20 times to try to bring old batteries back to life. It's also dual voltage if you want to take it overseas. (surprisingly, none of my other cheapie chargers were dual voltage)

Apparently, there's lesser models (BC700) out there but I'm not sure what the difference is.

I also use Eneloops exclusively since most of my battery use is on devices that are low drain but require a longer shelf life. (i.e. cordless keyboard/mouse, remote controls, etc) I also have a couple of sets of Eneloops/Duraloops for my flash as well and it seems to work well. I'm sure you can however get a bit more juice from the regular NiMH batteries as well since they have a higher capacity (usually more than the 2000mAh you get from the Eneloops) but you'll just have to remember to recharge them the night before you use them.

LoL! I was just about to write a similar thing...except the chargers I would recommend are the Ansmann ones.

Mananetwork 11-10-2010 01:20 AM

I use the Energizer 15min charger. So far so good, 2500mAh batteries are going strong

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...?EdpNo=1159858

N.V.M. 11-10-2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mananetwork (Post 7180412)
I use the Energizer 15min charger. So far so good, 2500mAh batteries are going strong

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...?EdpNo=1159858

been using that for 3 years now for my golf GPS. only 1 downside, it's a bit loud, but at least i know when the batteries are charged, it gets real quiet.

Speed2K 11-12-2010 11:43 PM

Charger I use the Eneloop charger. Batteries right now I am using the Duracell Pre-charged and they have been great! The older non-precharged Sanyo's suck.

Levitron 11-13-2010 01:42 AM

Thanks for the recommendations. My old charger seems to have a lot of difficulty in charging up my Eneloops so I decided to change.

Ended up picking up an Energizer Smart Charger for $27 at Zellers (had HBC gift card)...just saw it going for $49 at FS LOL :)

http://www.energizer.ca/product-imag...rger-smart.png

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...e2d52c0ebden02

Speed2K 11-13-2010 11:06 AM

^It seems the only additional thing that charger has over other ones are the fuel guage/count down timer. FWIW, I think Costco sells the Duracell charger with about 8-10 batteries for close to that price.