REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Minor rust S14 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/630434-minor-rust-s14.html)

TOPoftheworld 11-16-2010 05:56 PM

Minor rust S14

Hi, I know this isn't the correct forum but the autobody forum has the tone of crickets and I thought I would get more views here to hopefully deal with this before I garage the car for the winter at my cousin's house. Sorry to any nitpicks

Long story short I bought a S14 kouki couple of months ago and it had 3 minor scratches on the stock rear fender, I didn't mind it since it was not very noticable, and the aftermarket version select 1 rear bumper covers it anyways.

Problem is there was a little crack in the paint on the fender right above the overlaping rear bumper and it seems to have started to rust.

-The question is-.. is there anything I can do to deal with this rust incase anything happens futhur? Or is it okay to just leave it be (mabye its only rusting at the paint crack) or will it spread to under the paint like a cancer or something like that? :D Thanks RS, and what do?

Pics:

The hairline scratch leading to the Rusting paint crack above rear bumper on the right rear fender
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...2/IMG_0090.jpg

Pic from far away and location of the Rusting paint crack, to give better idea how big and where the location is
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...2/IMG_0091.jpg

Might have more rust covered by the aftermarket rear bumper, no clue

Energy 11-16-2010 07:45 PM

Sand or scrape away the rust and use touch up paint for a quick fix and to stop it spreading.

TOPoftheworld 11-16-2010 07:49 PM

Thanks for the input, anyone else with any different solutions?

Above sounded good if its just that bit of rust.. Just wondering if perhaps it could have spread beyond anywhere than what is seen in the picture perhaps under the paint or something, or perhaps thats not even possible i have no clue

Complete auto noob, I am.

satek 11-16-2010 07:54 PM

Touch up paint is the easiest way.

SpuGen 11-16-2010 08:02 PM

Keep sanding till you can't find anymore.
Go (half?) an inch past the rust to eliminate any chance of it comming back.
Get a can of rust proof primer ready.

And if you're not a broke asshole like 99% of 240sx owners, get it painted properly.

TOPoftheworld 11-16-2010 08:10 PM

k, thanks for the help I guess I'll go do that, and use touch up paint for the time being

Anyone know where to get the rust proof spray / touch up paint? car is black if you cant see already.

Looks like I'm going to have to remove the rear bumper just incase the rust has gone to the panel part behind the bumper.

fliptuner 11-16-2010 08:30 PM

Good idea to remove the bumber to search for more. If left untreated, it's just going to be a sand/water/rust trap.

monkeywrench 11-16-2010 08:33 PM

Sand it off until there isn't any rust visible. Touch up paint over it, done. Won't look perfect but its such a tiny spot anyways.

Don't put touch up paint over the rust and call it a day, the rust will spread from underneath

ilvtofu 11-16-2010 09:00 PM

I was actually really impressed when I tried wetsanding the first time, i had some deep scratches from when i got too close to a stucco wall and after 3 goes with sanding and touch up paint it was silky smooth. Only thing is the colour didn't perfectly match my blue and is somewhat noticable in direct sunlight on a clean car, but otherwise happy with the results for $15 saved me $200 or so.

TOPoftheworld 11-16-2010 09:15 PM

Where can I buy the sand paper / touch up paint / rust spray for a decent price?

Also what grit sand paper should I use? Thanks

ilvtofu 11-16-2010 10:20 PM

you can get them at lordco

I used a 2000 grit, you can try a 3000 too. with rust i'm not sure though, i just needed to remove some paint

SpuGen 11-16-2010 10:39 PM

^
He's removing rust. Not wetsanding some scratches.

Start with 400, work your way up to 2000.
400, 800, etc. Wetsand if you want to. Clean it before painting.
You can buy an assorted pack of 3M Automotive Sandpaper at Lordco. It's like $10? I think.
Rust Proof Paint can be found anywhere. Lordco/Canadian Tire/Napa

Sand in one direction. Don't swirl it around or change directions. It'll create deep scratches that are annoying as fuck to get rid of.

You could also use the search button located up top under the top Ad Banner, right next to "Support" This way ilvtofu can stop giving irrelevant advice.

TOPoftheworld 11-16-2010 11:53 PM

Heh, no harm done

Yup thanks for the help everybody, time to get rid of this ugly brown stuff :)

ilvtofu 11-17-2010 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpuGen (Post 7189710)
^
He's removing rust. Not wetsanding some scratches.

Start with 400, work your way up to 2000.
400, 800, etc. Wetsand if you want to. Clean it before painting.
You can buy an assorted pack of 3M Automotive Sandpaper at Lordco. It's like $10? I think.
Rust Proof Paint can be found anywhere. Lordco/Canadian Tire/Napa

Sand in one direction. Don't swirl it around or change directions. It'll create deep scratches that are annoying as fuck to get rid of.

You could also use the search button located up top under the top Ad Banner, right next to "Support" This way ilvtofu can stop giving irrelevant advice.

he will need to paint eventually after removing the rust so my advice was not irrelevant. The paint will be very bumpy if he doesn't wetsand

TOPoftheworld 11-17-2010 03:36 PM

After looking at it I am debating whether I should sand it or just use a sharp edge and scrape the little cracked rusted part off, sanding it would make me sand areas around it that wouldn't need to be sanded in the first place. Unless it is possible to only sand a very small crack