REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/autobody-lighting-structural-tech_192/)
-   -   replace HID headlight (https://www.revscene.net/forums/630626-replace-hid-headlight.html)

The_Chief 11-18-2010 05:47 PM

replace HID headlight

Anybody know where I can get my HID light changed. I don't know if it is the bulb or the ballast. Maybe both.

Thanks

shenmecar 11-18-2010 05:50 PM

What car?

The_Chief 11-18-2010 05:51 PM

2004 RSX

PiuYi 11-18-2010 05:53 PM

wrong forum

murd0c 11-18-2010 05:54 PM

check out some site vendors. Just think you will be supporting Revscene while your at it :)

http://www.revscene.net/forums/font-size-3-f176.html

-EuroRSN- 11-18-2010 05:57 PM

Mine just burned out 10 mins ago lol. Go to HIDOUTLET in Crystal mall ima need to swing by there sometime soon aswell

Mugen EvOlutioN 11-18-2010 06:02 PM

LOLL good riddance

Shun Izaki 11-18-2010 10:50 PM

HID kits are so annoying, do yourself a favour and get proper retros.

people will love your car 1000x more as well... i'm one of only 2~3 (that are on CRSX) in the GVRD that has them done to a DC5. always get compliments, and greatly improve vision.

ToneCapone 11-19-2010 02:46 PM

did both go out or just one? mine went out too... but it was both of them. Trying to figure out how to tell if its the bulb or ballast or electrical.

shantz 11-19-2010 06:51 PM

go to PG Performance in Surrey.
They use true digital Phillips kits (not cheap replica's)

Sp0r3 11-19-2010 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shantz (Post 7194126)
go to PG Performance in Surrey.
They use true digital Phillips kits (not cheap replica's)

I'm sorry, but Philips don't make HID kits. But if you think they are authentic Philips products, please link me to their official site that references their true HID kits please.

For OP, if you still like those annoying HID with glares, any HID kit will do. Don't get suckered up to any expensive "authentic" HID kits. No HID kit is made by an OEM company. Most HID kits are made from the same factory as any other cheap HID kits (just rebadged). So get the cheapest one would work. As for ballast or capsule (bulbs have filaments, HID capsules does not), you can swap a working ballast/capsule to the side that is malfunctioning. If it works again, that means whatever you swapped out is broken. You can also do a visual inspection on the HID capsule and check to see if you have any burnt mark in the glass.

ToneCapone 11-19-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sp0r3 (Post 7194329)
You can also do a visual inspection on the HID capsule and check to see if you have any burnt mark in the glass.

Is the burnt mark a clear 100% indicator that the bulb is no longer working? I know how most light bulbs look when they burn out but hid's may be different?

ProjectCh3w 11-21-2010 09:05 AM

it may be due to the fuse in the rely that has blown. it happened to me a while ago, got a new 1 , and everything works again =]

Sp0r3 11-21-2010 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-ternal-3 (Post 7194344)
Is the burnt mark a clear 100% indicator that the bulb is no longer working? I know how most light bulbs look when they burn out but hid's may be different?

No, it is not a 100% indicator that the bulb has malfunction. Unlike regular halogen bulbs where you have a tungsten filament, HID capsules uses gas to conduct electricity. In halogen bulbs, you can see if the tungsten has been burnt off to know its done. But in HID capsule, you can check how worn the gas is by looking at the burnt marks. But that's a rough guess on the condition of the capsule. The easiest way is to do a swap and test to know for sure. Also, if you see your HID light changed color (usually to pink) before your lights aren't lighting up, its also a good sign that your HID capsule is gone.

shenmecar 11-21-2010 10:03 PM

A "burnt" HID bulb will look white/grey/black all together inside the bulb capsule and the light output will be pink-ish

ToneCapone 11-22-2010 01:08 AM

hhmm... so lets say the bulbs and fuses are good...
Then the ballasts are next? Why would both go out at the same time? any ideas?

shenmecar 11-22-2010 02:21 PM

Why dont you just hook the bulb + ballast straight to a battery. That way you know whats wrong. If its the bulb and ballast are working then its your fuse/wiring?

es2k 11-26-2010 08:21 AM

I do wholesale and installs for HIDOUTLET. Please contact me if you have any HID inquiries
We have wide range of products from HID's to Air Refresheners to Broadway Mirrors! Check us out at Crystal Mall or Aberdeen Centre ground floor (Super Garage)

i do deliver within Vancouver and installs. Rates depend on time/ Car model.
1 Year warranty included with our HID kits!

ToneCapone 11-26-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by es2k (Post 7204218)
I do wholesale and installs for HIDOUTLET. Please contact me if you have any HID inquiries
We have wide range of products from HID's to Air Refresheners to Broadway Mirrors! Check us out at Crystal Mall or Aberdeen Centre ground floor (Super Garage)

i do deliver within Vancouver and installs. Rates depend on time/ Car model.
1 Year warranty included with our HID kits!

sweet! But first..... My current kit (ballasts) are installed directly underneath my headlight in an area that is inaccessable through the engine bay. My guess is they removed my whole front bumper when they installed the lights. Are you able to do this as well?