REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/suspension-brakes-wheels-tires-tech_191/)
-   -   Tire size: 3 same, 1 different (https://www.revscene.net/forums/630814-tire-size-3-same-1-different.html)

blazn1 11-20-2010 08:07 PM

Tire size: 3 same, 1 different

I'm in the process of prepping my FWD winter beater with some extra snow tires I have laying around. I have 3 tires with 185-65-r14 and then I have an extra tire with 185-75R-14. All tires are the same model and have similar tread life. According to Miata Tire Calculator, the extra tire is about 1.5" larger in diametre. Would the suspension compensate for the size difference? I'm thinking about putting this tire in the rear.

johny 11-20-2010 09:18 PM

that is a pretty big difference.... if you have ABS it'll have problems. If it went on you'd want to put it on the back, keep the drive wheels the same. however I would buy another tire... one tire isn't going to cost much. not in that size.

CorneringArtist 11-21-2010 10:55 AM

Also, if the tire is up front, the car will lean towards the direction of the smaller tire. I had the same situation on my first car, and it sucked having to drive with the steering wheel leaned over until I could change it.

blazn1 11-21-2010 12:39 PM

No ABS and I would be putting this in the back. Can anyone else sell me on doing it or not doing it? Thnx for the above replies BTW

DasHooch 11-21-2010 02:03 PM

So in the rear, one axle will rest at 0.7 inches taller than the other. Does your winter beater car have independent rear suspension?

It will definitely affect the handling around turns.

For $100 plus tax, I would just get the 4th tire in the matching size. However, if you really need to save money, drive very cautiously with lots of space. Along those lines, sell all the winter tires and take the bus.

seekerbeta 11-21-2010 02:04 PM

just go to abbsry used tire or something similar, you should be able to trade in the tire for one that would work.

racerman88 11-21-2010 06:49 PM

is it really worth the problem if something happens down the road? I would try trading it in and buying a matching tire.

Phil@rise 11-22-2010 03:05 PM

In the rear it'll be OK. Not the best but meh its a winter beater right. Yes it'll be a tad taller on the one side and yes your car might pull a bit to one side because of that and your steering correction to counter the pull will cause the others to wear out a bit quicker. If you don't plan on spirited driving and don't care about the longevity of the other tires then run it.

blazn1 11-23-2010 04:28 PM

one other thing i forgot to mention is that i also have a correct size all season tire that is available to mount on. This beater is a 97 Neon BTW

MrGoodbar 11-23-2010 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazn1 (Post 7199889)
one other thing i forgot to mention is that i also have a correct size all season tire that is available to mount on. This beater is a 97 Neon BTW

like everyone said, it's not gonna be driving straight. your diff is gonna take a hit, your alignment is going to take a hit, your braking power is gonna take a hit. I'm sure I'm missing a few others but if you're gonna take a chance like this, you're probably gonna hit someone else.

If your beater is going to be a neon and you're gonna gamble with mismatched tire sizes, please do us all a favor and keep off the road.

Phil@rise 11-27-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazn1 (Post 7199889)

so use that one.

blazn1 11-27-2010 03:55 PM

thnx for all the replies. Like Phil says, i'll be using the all season in the rear until i get a hold of the correct size snow tire from tirerack.com

ilvtofu 12-07-2010 09:15 AM

I am considering getting some hankook ventus k110 as it seems like really good bang for the buck

However just debating which tire size to go for

225/45/17 or 215/45/17

215 is considerably lighter at 2lbs per tire but 225 is the stock size. I'm assuming this means generally better fuel economy but wondering about the performance difference, on one hand lighter unsprung weight and on another wider contact patch

alpinestars 12-13-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johny (Post 7195764)
that is a pretty big difference.... if you have ABS it'll have problems. If it went on you'd want to put it on the back, keep the drive wheels the same. however I would buy another tire... one tire isn't going to cost much. not in that size.

wont make a huge difference would it? i mean, i wouldnt have 1 off tire on my sportscar, but on regular A-B vehicle it shouldnt matter