REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Audi RS3! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/630956-audi-rs3.html)

shenmecar 11-22-2010 02:17 PM

Audi RS3!

Quote:

http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/gal...ortback+06.jpg

With the current A3 model nearing the end of its production cycle, Audi will send the car out with a bang, announcing an all new RS3 model. Putting even the Golf R to shame, the RS3 Sportback produces an incredible 340-hp and 332 ft-lbs of torque from the same turbocharged 2.5-liter 5-cylinder engine found in the TT-RS. Mated to a 7-speed S tronic dual clutch transmission and using Audi’s quattro all-wheel drive system the car can blast to 62-mph in just 4.6 seconds.

Added grip and improved handling come thanks to 19-inch wheels with 235/39/19 front tires and 225/35/19 rear tires (yes, the front tires are wider). That matches up with a front track that is just over an inch wider as well, while the overall ride height has been dropped by one inch. An ultra-precise 16.2:1 steering ratio makes the RS3 really turn when you point it.

Helping to cut weight, the wider front tires are now made of carbon fiber.

Improved braking is also a part of the package thanks to 4-piston front brake calipers with massive 14.57-inch rotors (370mm), while the rear brakes run 12.2-inch rotors.

The exterior of the RS3 isn’t quite as dramatic as past RS models, with the fenders bulging less, still, there’s a massive front grille with more aggressively designed side intakes. Side skirts, matte-aluminum mirror housings, a roof spoiler, black diffuser, two exhaust pipes and several RS3 badges round out the design.

Inside, it’s pure Audi luxury with Nappa leather, silver stitching and piano black or Aluminum Race trim, with a flat-bottom steering wheel.

Audi has made several nods to enthusiasts with this car, including a stability control system that can be turned completely off, while including a lap timer in the driver information screen. Plus, a Sport button activates flaps in the exhaust system to really let the engine howl.

Unfortunately, you’ll have to be a rich enthusiasts to afford the RS3 Sportback, with the price set at 49,900 Euros. That’s $68,000… yikes.

Sadly, that number is mostly irrelevant on this side of the Atlantic as Audi has announced now plans to sell the RS3 in North America.
From: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...th-340-hp.html

I wonder how much CF tires cost.

donjalapeno 11-22-2010 02:20 PM

shit....fast, sexy , safe and reliable what else do you need in a car.

ilvtofu 11-22-2010 02:22 PM

That's not a hot hatch that's a hot hatch on fire. Sounds sick, but that price :/

Fucking sexy brakes though, and CF tires!

I wonder what the RS4 will be like. I imagine it won't be priced too much more than the RS3 if it expects to compete with the M3/C63 though

unit 11-22-2010 02:22 PM

i hate the LEDs on the a3
it was such an afterthought design and it shows

TOPEC 11-22-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

the wider front tires are now made of carbon fiber.
WUT!?

124Y 11-22-2010 02:24 PM

Those 2 lower vents are HUGE! :eek:

StylinRed 11-22-2010 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 7198017)
i hate the LEDs on the a3
it was such an afterthought design and it shows

like the A6s that whole car needs a redesign though

flagella 11-22-2010 03:05 PM

wow... price tag.

RabidRat 11-22-2010 03:13 PM

Wtf? Why bother with wider tires in the front if they're only 10mm wider anyway. And if they wanted to lessen rotational mass, how about you don't throw 19's on there? Would've been far cheaper and more effective than this gimmicky CF tire bullshit.

MindBomber 11-22-2010 04:21 PM

I failed the OP, because this article is terrible and inaccurate. CF tires, come on, lets be realistic.

The front rims and fenders are being made of carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic, which is not the same as carbon-fiber, the tires are rubber. Theres speculation that the RS3 is being built on a limited production run of 2700 vehicles, and although there are no plans to release the car in North America, it may reach Australia for a base price around 100k. Looks like the M3 has some worthy competition.

shenmecar 11-22-2010 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7198190)
I failed the OP, because this article is terrible and inaccurate. CF tires, come on, lets be realistic.

The front rims and fenders are being made of carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic, which is not the same as carbon-fiber, the tires are rubber. Theres speculation that the RS3 is being built on a limited production run of 2700 vehicles, and although there are no plans to release the car in North America, it may reach Australia for a base price around 100k. Looks like the M3 has some worthy competition.

Go to www.dictionary.com. Type "sarcasm" inside the search box at the top. Then click "Search" to the right.

maxx 11-22-2010 06:41 PM

pricy, and not better than 135 which is cheaper

MindBomber 11-22-2010 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shenmecar (Post 7198377)
Go to www.dictionary.com. Type "sarcasm" inside the search box at the top. Then click "Search" to the right.

I'm aware of the definition of sarcasm, but on forums its hard to detect and god knows how many noobs would post that being serious. Now that its clear you were being sarcastic, its pretty funny.

Fail removed now that I understand it was a sarcastic post, I'd appreciate if you reciprocated.

BMW135i 11-22-2010 10:07 PM

Great specs but overpriced.

Manic! 11-22-2010 10:42 PM

Goodyear's Carbon Fiber Tire Wins Award

MindBomber 11-22-2010 10:59 PM

holy shit..

I had no idea that was possible..