REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Autobody, Lighting, & Structural Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/autobody-lighting-structural-tech_192/)
-   -   What should $18,000 worth of Body work include? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/631083-what-should-%2418-000-worth-body-work-include.html)

BoySupra604 11-23-2010 05:38 PM

What should $18,000 worth of Body work include?

As the Title says I'm having alittle issue with my bodyshop regarding my widebody..My current body shops said that their quote for $18,000 only included

-fitting kit front bumper , fenders sideskirts (High end kit, fitted perfectly while test fitting)
-removal and reinstall of all widows
-stripping doors, rear hatch, targa down to bare metal
-molding the rear 3/4 widebody pannels + pulling out my rear inner fender
-Molding rear spats
-minor custom sideskirts work
-prep, prime, sand, paint the entire car jams included and interior

This work did not include
-stripping the *entire* car down to bare metal
-removal and reinstall the engine
-painting the engine bay

I have not paid this amount and I want to know if what they are charging me is reasonable. I know some custom paint job+widebody will be in the $10k+ range and I am willing on spending that kind of money for a SEMA/Showcar quality paint job but, I can't see 18k being justified in the little amount of work they are doing to my car.

Mr.Jay 11-23-2010 06:25 PM

I'm not sure but please post pictures when you are done

18k does sounds like a unreasonable cost for the work listed but I mean paint does get expensive so it could be close. Have you tried calling around and getting some quotes?

ImportXxX 11-23-2010 08:06 PM

it depends which body shop you take it to, some high end accredited shop rate is expensive. Also depends on your vehical, is it a luxury vehical? Just take it somewhere else and get another quote. Some shops will raise the price just because they dont wanna deal with it, custom work takes up alot of labour hours..and it depends on the guy who's doing the work..flat rate bodyman makes more money with small jobs then big ones..especially moulding widebody..most body man wouldn't wanna touch it..with that being said..ifyou're gonna pay that..u better make sure the body work is straight..

Nechako87 11-23-2010 08:24 PM

what kind of paint, what stage, what car......you haven't provided enough information buddy.

mekaw 11-24-2010 12:44 AM

his id is boysupra lol and in his sig it says his supra is under construction. so I think it's his supra

dinamix 11-24-2010 01:45 AM

Use that 18000 and get yourself a autobody diploma And a some nice tools
Posted via RS Mobile

Manic! 11-24-2010 02:22 AM

Go get some more quotes 18k is not chump change. Sent info to a buddy how manages a body shop, I will let you know what he thinks.

es2k 11-24-2010 02:24 PM

Autocraft autosport
on No.6 and Westminister
find the guy named Alex hes the guy in charge
Tell him Emit sent you and get a quote from him.

Id say get quotes from a couple good quality places and then compare.

godwin 11-24-2010 02:31 PM

Getting a paint quote over the internet is impossible. Since there might be metal work involved.

From what you are saying your job is very superficial, since it is not to bare metal.

Your shop probably haven't quote the price of you getting the car to the strip and dip place.

If you want a custom job, best go to a hot rod shop.

Phil@rise 11-24-2010 06:00 PM

Seems steep to me but some body shops love to quote high in hopes of turning a potential headache away or making a mint for taking on a headache. I've done a couple bare metal restorations with custom metal work mixed in and never had to charge that kind of cake. What your asking for is no bare metal rusty resto.

LanEvoVII 11-28-2010 06:33 PM

complete down to bare metal is fair price and then in & out paint job

typically just a basic repaint of a completely keyed car with complete r&i is $6-8000 range using icbc rates without doing any inners

people who dont work in a bodyshop dont understand how much work it is to strip it down to complete metal, prime,seal,block,mask,sand and wet sand a paint job. if this is a high quality paint job/bodywork you are getting in the end is alright....

i know someone who did a custom widebody+high end paint job for around $17000

kokanee_vtec 11-28-2010 07:31 PM

Arash should be able to help you out.

Jegz 11-29-2010 03:57 AM

^ And he'd be glad to work on it unlike some body shops