REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   D16A6 Mods?? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/631413-d16a6-mods.html)

Hock3y Play3r 11-27-2010 11:34 PM

D16A6 Mods??

Hey guys,
I just got my self a 90 civic Si with a D16A6 in it, it is completely stock, i was wondering if there is any simple and effective mods i can do to it to get some more HP out of it?

Thanks

spoon.ek9 11-29-2010 11:12 AM

that would depend on your power goals and your budget!

Nicotine 11-29-2010 01:11 PM

^^:werd: +1
More info, is a dd? full project car? $$$?

-EuroRSN- 11-29-2010 02:27 PM

Intake.. Header...Exhaust... Thats really about it

If u want to spend some money, you can get cams and just general internal engine mods but this will require even more money for tuning and parts while in the end you got a modded d16..( Not worth it ) ya so just got with the above 3 lol

Plus you can advance your timing abit and your car will feel more sporty.. enjoy!

spoon.ek9 11-29-2010 07:52 PM

only way to get serious power out of a d16 is boost so.... yeah, let us know what you want :)

Hock3y Play3r 11-30-2010 10:12 PM

what kind of intake would you guys recommend.. i have heard nothing but good things about the whale penis intake. but do they fit on D16s ?

spoon.ek9 12-01-2010 02:31 PM

i haven't seen any EF with a whale penis in it. there are a lot of short rams and cold air intakes available for EFs though.

Hock3y Play3r 12-01-2010 09:41 PM

what are a couple good sites to look at for intakes, and what brand would you say i could get the most horsepower out of.??

Berzerker 12-01-2010 09:53 PM

I'm going to be as polite as I can be here....

Don't waste your time or your money. No parts you buy are going to increase your power. Sure you can get an intake and spend upwards of $100 on it and sure you can get an exhaust system and spend however much on that but in the end your going to gain MAYBE 5whp. Anything your going to buy is going to be for SOUND ONLY. That motor of yours is never going to be fast without a turbo so don't even bother throwing money at it thinking your going to make it fast with out forced induction.

Hope I don't sound to much like a dick but it's the facts. Save your money and do a motor swap if you really want to gain some hp. Get a D16Z6 and swap that in for a cheap ugrade (probably find one for less than $500) or save your pennies and get a B series but seriously throw a fart can on there and call it a day if your just looking to impress people with sound cuz that's your going to get regardless of what you do to that motor.

Berz out.

hung_lo 12-01-2010 11:30 PM

By far the best upgrade for the a6 is a good header.

The stock unit is very restrictive. I've had noticeable gains with even a cheap Pacesetter header when I had my ED back in 2000.

As far as intakes go, I'd say install a PROPER intake such as an AEM where the pipe is securely mounted onto the engine bay. I've seen a few fires due to cheap intakes where they are not mounted properly (positive post on the battery is dangerously close to the pipe. Otherwise, stick a K&N drop in on there.

As far as exhaust goes, there isn't much to be gained. I'd actually prefer a quiet stock exhaust and "sacrifice" the 2-3hp that it would net.

A few well placed mods, can net you good gains. It isn't going to be a Supra killer, but it will surprise a few cars out there.

Hock3y Play3r 12-04-2010 07:56 PM

what about DC sports headers? would i notice a difference with those ?

spoon.ek9 12-04-2010 09:26 PM

nothing huge, but if you do end up changing the intake, header and exhaust altogether, you will notice a slight power gain. like berz said, you'll hear more noise than you will feel in terms of actual power.

up&atam 12-05-2010 04:24 PM

I love the sohc, but the only way you're going to have a quick civic is weight reduction. I would'nt recommend it if it was your dd, but its the cheapest way to go. Save up and buy a b16 swap instead of bolt ons

nickmak 12-06-2010 05:51 PM

depends how much you want to spend. lots of people will tell you boost is the only way, and its true BUT i screwed around with that engine lots in my beater hatch just for shits. PG7 ecu from a 1st gen integra, ebay header, gutted cat, cheap ass crush bent exhaust (sounded good though!), K&N filter with a "swiss cheesed" airbox. that setup cost me less than $100. the ECU and filter was free, the ebay header was $30 shipped. it was pretty fun in a gutted 91 civic hatch. i advanced the shit out of the timing (to like 21btdc) and still ran regular. keep in mind reliability wasn't a concern. hell you can go the ghetto high compression route and mill the head and put on a MLS head gasket for a D16Y8 and an adjustable cam gear. i took 52 thou off the head and man that was fun for what it was. it wasn't exactly a monster, but remember i got lots of these parts for free/cheap and i've got far too much time on my hands..

K20Tuner 12-06-2010 06:00 PM

I don't mean to go off topic here but my EF civic rattles like a bitch, especially from behind the dash. Any suggestions on what I should look for tightening?

danz 12-06-2010 06:42 PM

fml

Hock3y Play3r 12-06-2010 08:06 PM

AEM intake seem the way to go with this. 3 monthes before i bought the car the car was just in honda getting a new stock exhaust so i dont really i can do exhaust wise. besides headers

danz 12-07-2010 09:01 AM

fml