REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 07-29-2011, 07:55 AM   #251
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by neggo View Post
Spoiler!
There a few instances of this in the later books too. There are characters you hate that you will eventually love (or at least feel for, especially by the time DWD rolls around) and there will also be chars that you love early in the story that you are cursing at by the end of the most recent book.
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #252
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

On to a Feast for Crows!

I'm going through these books like its nothin'...I should pace myself since I'm sure I'll be suffering from withdrawal symptoms once I have nothing to read...It's inevitable, though, since the books take a while to come out.

Last edited by neggo; 07-29-2011 at 09:22 AM.
neggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:41 AM   #253

Just you wait Neggo.

Dance With Dragons is probably my favorite in the series. I did not sleep much between when I started and finished it.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:09 PM   #254

Making my way slowly through a Feast for Crows...

My only complaint is that they introduce new POV characters which makes it hard for me to engage the book right away. Rather than going through the pages without any effort, I find myself having to place a bit more effort in making sure I read through the beginning. Not that I'm making a huge complaint!

...probably because I spoiled myself and attached myself to characters from the previous books.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #255
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neggo View Post
Making my way slowly through a Feast for Crows...

My only complaint is that they introduce new POV characters which makes it hard for me to engage the book right away. Rather than going through the pages without any effort, I find myself having to place a bit more effort in making sure I read through the beginning. Not that I'm making a huge complaint!

...probably because I spoiled myself and attached myself to characters from the previous books.
Feast for crows was a little bit of a grind at first. Later you will see how well it meshes with DWD.

Im starting to re-read feast for crows since I already finished DWD.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #256

Pretty awesome

This post thanked by:
Old 08-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #257
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
a quick question for you guys who've read the books etc. Im on the 2nd book and did not read the first

WARNING: THIS IS NOT A SPOILER FOR THE BEGINNING OF CLASH OF KINGS, IT'S A SPOILER FOR THE END OF THE BOOK. - SkinnyPupp
Spoiler!

Last edited by SkinnyPupp; 08-01-2011 at 09:21 PM. Reason: added spoiler warning
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #258
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
a quick question for you guys who've read the books etc. Im on the 2nd book and did not read the first

Spoiler!
Uh... you sure you're on book two?
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:21 PM   #259
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

Spoiler!
Dammit I thought you posted a spoiler for book 2, but it wasn't! Now I have been spoiled for whatever book you posted about...
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:08 PM   #260
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
That's a spoiler for book 2. The thing he says happens about 80% of the way through A Clash of Kings and is mentioned at the beginning of A Storm of Swords.

BUT...if you read til the end of book 2...you'd know that...

Spoiler!
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:37 PM   #261

How is it that he came across these "spoilers" in the end of 2nd book and didn't know about the events... did he skip chapters?
Old 08-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #262
...in the world.

So yeah, he's probably reading the 3rd book by accident but that thing he mentioned happens in the 2nd book.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #263

I'm reading the 2nd book now, about half way through, thE events I posted about are mentioned right at the beginning of book 2,

Spoiler!

Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #264
...in the world.

I'm almost sure you're reading the wrong book...that you're reading A Storm of Swords instead of A Clash of Kings.

Because A Storm of Swords begins with Catelyn Stark talking about what you're talking about (after the prologue) and A Clash of Kings begins with Aria and Sansa.

What you're talking about is one of the main plot points from the end of book 2 to the beginning of book 3. There's no way you read it at the beginning of book 2. I know I'm only listening to audiobooks but still, I don't remember any mention of it at the beginning of A Clash of Kings.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #265

Even if you have seen the TV series, I HIGHLY recommend you read the first book. There's a lot of plot points the show couldn't delve into but are very important still to how the story unravels.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #266

damn son, storm of swords it is
Old 08-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #267
...in the world.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

So you've been reading the wrong book? Shit, A Clash of Kings is epic too. You basically spoiled everything that happened in book 2...
Old 08-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #268
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGirl View Post
Even if you have seen the TV series, I HIGHLY recommend you read the first book. There's a lot of plot points the show couldn't delve into but are very important still to how the story unravels.
Like what?

The show is now over and we can speak freely about book one spoilers, I'm sure. Agreed?

But if anyone says anything about books 2-5 without clear spoiler tags (preferably with reference to what book you're talking about) will be banned so hard...

I'm going to rename this thread sometime and put down a set of rules for discussing this series.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:29 PM   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

So you've been reading the wrong book? Shit, A Clash of Kings is epic too. You basically spoiled everything that happened in book 2...
im actually only about 80 pages in and most of what i remember now could have almost been a run on from the first book [or series] so now time to forget everything and buy Clash of kings

why the fuck did i buy storm of swords
Old 08-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #270
...in the world.

LOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

None of what I say below is actually a spoiler...but if you don't want to know what you just spoiled for yourself, then don't read this.

Spoiler!

You poor bastard. Go buy the whole set so you don't make this mistake again.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #271

I can't think of anything important from book 1 that wasn't covered in the series. Except if you went right from the series to book 2, you would probably not be as familiar with the characters. because on TV familiarity with secondary characters are based on looks, while in the book the characters have more personality. And some characters were changed quite a bit, such as Yoren and Theon Greyjoy, Alisar, and probably more. Even The Hound was changed a bit, as he was kinder to Sansa in the book (he is the one who told her his burn story, not Littlefinger, and he made her promise not to tell anyone about it). The Direwolves are also much more prominent in the book.

Also, I noticed in the series that Cersei was sleeping with her nephew squire Lancel, but they never mentioned that in the book. Maybe it's from a later book? What a slut. Also, as I mentioned before, some things that were only hinted at (Renly being gay with the Flower Knight) in the book were made blatantly obvious in the series (IE Renly gets a blow job from him.. can't get much more obvious than that!)
Old 08-03-2011, 09:22 AM   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Also, I noticed in the series that Cersei was sleeping with her nephew squire Lancel, but they never mentioned that in the book. Maybe it's from a later book? What a slut. Also, as I mentioned before, some things that were only hinted at (Renly being gay with the Flower Knight) in the book were made blatantly obvious in the series (IE Renly gets a blow job from him.. can't get much more obvious than that!)
Lancel is Cersei's cousin. He's Ser Kevan's (Ser Tywin's brother) eldest son. They do mention later on in the books of Lancel and Cersei's relationship.

The TV show tends to add elements from later books and they reported that they'd be doing the same for the second season...whatever works, I guess!
Old 08-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #273
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Book 5 spoiler ahead (Dance with Dragons)
Spoiler!
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:44 AM   #274

A girl I know said she scored a 4 book box set from Costco for $20, anyone seen this?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 08-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #275

You mean people still buy books in stores? Next you'll tell me they are printed on paper