REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 06-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #951
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Or your "heart" as he put it
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #952
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
IS YOUR MIND FUCKING BLOWN?!

Also, I love silent credits. It adds so much drama for such a simple filmmaking move.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #953
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Roslin Frey is cute

Potential Storm of Swords book spoiler
Spoiler!

Episode did not disappoint, though.
Book 4 spoiler

Spoiler!

And I thought so too. Roslin Frey looked hella cute...I thought all the Freys were supposed to be uggos.

-----------------------

ALL BOOK SPOILERS MUST BE LABELED! Come on, of all people you'd think 2 mods wouldn't be the first edits I'd have to make

Last edited by SkinnyPupp; 06-02-2013 at 09:04 PM. Reason: ALL BOOK SPOILERS MUST BE LABELED!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #954
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
great episode and next weeks should be too
Old 06-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #955
...in the world.

Oh do we have to say what book they're from? I labeled it as a book spoiler and forgot what book it was from anyways since it's not a very important plot point.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #956

Roslin was supposed to be the only attractive Frey in the book as well, IIRC.

Also in book 3, Jeyne wasn't at the wedding. Also in the TV show she wasn't even called Jeyne In book 4:

Spoiler!

That spoiler is pretty safe to read, because the TV show character is dead anyway It just tells how they dealt with her character differently.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #957
...in the world.

Because I know dudes in here are gonna go look...

Roslin:

Her name is Alexandra Dowling. Not very famous so there aren't many pictures.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:13 PM   #958

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Oh do we have to say what book they're from? I labeled it as a book spoiler and forgot what book it was from anyways since it's not a very important plot point.
Yes, label them with which book it is from. Because some of us are ahead of the TV show in books, but still not caught up. I am about 1/5 through book 5 where Bran

BOOK 5 SPOILER

Spoiler!
Old 06-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #959

As a reminder:

I got owned by this near the end of book 4

Spoiler!
Old 06-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #960
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
As a reminder:

I got owned by this near the end of book 4

Spoiler!
Multi-book spoiler, including Book 5. ONLY READ IF YOU WANT TO BE SPOILED
Spoiler!
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #961
...in the world.

I was about to say the same thing.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #962
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,193 Times in 2,275 Posts
my mind was fucking blasted and I need a drink...or many...
Tim Budong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #963

I was going to try to explain to non readers why the Red Wedding was pretty much the most despicable thing any character has done in ASOIF. There are certain things that are just known to be worse than anything else - killing your family members, sleeping with family members, etc. But the way it is written, killing a guest in your castle after they have eaten is pretty much the worst thing you can do. I came across this explanation which will save me some time.. CTRL+V

So, what was it that made the slaughter of King Robb, his mother, and men so especially reprehensible? The viewer got a subtle hint at this at the beginning of the episode, in the scene where Robb and his men shared "bread and salt" with Walder Frey (well return to that in a bit), and that was the invoking of the ancient custom of hospitality, "Guest Right"..
Guest Right, as I said is an ancient custom of gods and men (among all the religions of Westeros, not just the faith of the seven) dating back to the first men, that states if a guest shares food and drink under the roof of a host that the guest is offered protection by the host. Neither guest can harm host, nor host harm guest during the duration of the stay, and breaking of this custom of hospitality, as we saw tonight, is considered very egregious by all men and women of Westeros, and the person who violated "guest right" is considered accursed and loses any reputation they may have had... It's a big deal.. As I mentioned above, regardless of religion, regardless if you're a lowborn bastard, or the King himself, "Guest Right" is sacred. Walder Frey did not only commit a heinous act of treachery, but went far beyond that in the violating of "Guest Right"
Now, as I said above, Guest Right is automatically observed once the host shares his table with his guest, no matter what the meal or drink or who the host or guest is, but among the Lords and highborn families there are some traditional formalities associated with Guest Right. The first is what we saw in tonight's episode, Bread and Salt. Bread and Salt are traditionally presented to a guest in highborn circles as "officially" recognizing the custom of Guest Right, it may be presented to the guest and it may be requested by the guest, either way it is an official way to state among all parties that said law of hospitality is invoked. Guest Right ends when the guest takes their leave from the host, though there is some formality with that as well, traditionally the host will present his or her guests with "guest gifts" signifying that the custom Guest Right has ended, the guest usually also present the host with gifts as a tolkien of gratitude for protection while under the host's roof. Guest Right, can be denied if the host chooses, in Westerosi custom if a Lord bares naked steel across his lap when his guests arrive, it is a tolkien that Guest Right is being denied and they do not have "understood protection" while under his roof....
There have been a few examples of Guest Right being violated in the backstory of ASOIAF.. One example is that of the "Rat Cook of the Night Fort". The Rat Cook was a member of the Night's Watch when a King (prior to Aegon's Conquest) traveled to the Wall as a guest, the cook was wronged in some way by the king so the crow murdered the son of the king, and cooked the prince into a huge meat pie which he later fed to the guest King. Legend goes that the gods took such error with this that the cook was transformed into an enormous rat who could only ever eat his young.. A song about the Rat Cook is still sung around the seven Kingdoms as a reminder of the sacred law of Guest Right..
The second example that we've seen in which Guest Right was violated was when the men of the Night's Watch murdered Craster under his own roof, as we saw several episodes ago. This serves to remind that even though it was not "invoked" traditionally, it is still observed. There is a line in the books that didn't make it into the show that lends this credence. Mormont states that "There is no worse crime than murder at a host's dinner table" and that they're all accursed, another clear violation of guest right, and illustrates that, in this case, how the guests can be the ones who violate the observance.
And lastly is the example of what we saw tonight, the Red Wedding, all traditional observations were noted, bread and salt were exchanged and offered. (Though in the books Walder, was reluctant to give it to them when Robb and his banner-men arrived at the Twins) And Walder by murdering the King in the North, his mother, and his host has committed one of the most vile acts the people in Westeros can think of.
I hope you enjoyed this, and are a bit more enlightened on the subject of Guest Right, and why it is so vile that it was violated on tonight's episode.. Thanks to both Tower of the Hand, and Wiki of Ice and Fire for some of the finer details... until next week, happy... uh... nothing's ever going to be happy again. Have a week!
Old 06-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #964
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

wow, today's epi.. wow
van_city23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #965
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

reactions on twitter and reddit...shittttt

Spoiler!
Old 06-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #966
SB7
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 4,543 Times in 464 Posts
Going to watch the episode now... I remember reading the book a few years ago and i've been replaying the scene in my imagination over and over. I wonder how it will stack up in today's episode.
SB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #967
...in the world.

Keep in mind that the Freys aren't well regarded in the first place because...well...Walder is a dick.

I now understand why it takes so goddamn long to write these books. I don't know of anything else with such a richly imagined world. There's just so much and I don't even feel like we're reading the most epic parts of the story either. It's like we're just reading a totally normal era of time because the history of the ASOIAF world is so ridiculous. We don't even have fully grown dragons yet!

I mean, the War of the Five Kings sounds shitty compared to Aegon's Conquest and Robert's Rebelion. That shit was BAD ASS because everyone like Robert and Ned and the Dragon Prince and Jamie and whatever were all in their prime and being awesome. The start of GOT already had these dudes in retirement age and the most skilled warrior in the land is now...the Knight of Flowers...
Old 06-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #968
-Stare-

Thanked 8,013 Times in 648 Posts
^ Knight of flowers?

Last edited by ShadowBun; 06-03-2013 at 01:23 AM.
ShadowBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #969
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

This post thanked by:
Old 06-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #970
I STILL don't get it

holy fuck.
wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #971
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,689 Times in 1,624 Posts
fuck, what the hell. lol
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #972
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

HOLY FUCK SHIT JUST GOT REAL
Porschedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #973
CPE
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

What was that song that played right at the end? Catylnn knew something was up when it started playing...
CPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #974
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPE View Post
What was that song that played right at the end? Catylnn knew something was up when it started playing...
rains of castamere i think. Its about the story of tywin destroying a household that rebelled against his family
JayEch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-03-2013, 12:02 AM   #975
kwy
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
I need to sit down, and just..and just..
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote