REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   05 civic noise (https://www.revscene.net/forums/632648-05-civic-noise.html)

gloors 12-13-2010 09:09 AM

05 civic noise

So lately I've been driving my brothers 05 civic and I've been hearing a noise whenever I make a left turn but doesn't happen when I make right turns:confused::confused:

What could possibly causing this sound? Any suggestions?

mpr 12-13-2010 09:15 AM

bad left wheel bearing or cv joint.

PK-EK 12-13-2010 09:19 AM

^ this

but such a new car... those things don't normally go at this age

gloors 12-13-2010 09:22 AM

hmm.. alright. well I know that he drove over a big pothole once on the left side of the car.. that coulda been the cause of the issue? and should we I get this replaced now or is it okay to ride it out for a bit? cause the noise isn't constant just happens once ina while

mpr 12-13-2010 09:23 AM

this all depends on how much mileage and how the owner drove it.

you can always drive it but I wouldn't recommend it. you can drive an engine with a oil leak 1L / 1000 km, but I wouldn't recommend it.

gloors 12-13-2010 09:38 AM

Well the cars at 74xxxkms right now. It just got service done at Kingsway Honda and they said nothing was wrong.. :/ but yeah between me and my brother we drive the car fairly lightly .

PK-EK 12-13-2010 10:08 AM

not sure what the problem is exactly at this point.. but normal.. if something is broken and you keep on using it... it will start breaking other compents that work along with it...
so in gerneral, its best to fix it ASAP to provent other problems

e.g.
a loose tie will start to put extra vibrations into the P/S rack and it might start to leak over time.. (i've seen this on a few Vans at work)

MindBomber 12-13-2010 11:24 AM

I doubt thats its a bad wheel bearing or cv, its doesn't have enough mileage to be experiencing those types of problems. Describe the noise, does it sound like a pop and happens mostly when you make a relatively sharp turn or go over a speed bump? Is it worse when the car is cold?

If it is that would mean its the LCA bushings, which are a very common problem in 7thgen civics, because the stock rubber bushings are defective. You can either replace them with OE equivalents for around $15 or upgrade to poly bushings that will last the life of the car for $45 installation should be somewhere between $150-250 depending on where you go. Its fairly simple, but difficult to DIY, because the bushing need to be pressed in.

gloors 12-13-2010 11:50 AM

It doesn't pop when I turn or go over a speed bump but when I first start the car and come to a stop sign in my street I'll hear a pop noise from the left side of the car
Posted via RS Mobile

MindBomber 12-13-2010 12:57 PM

I`m still pretty sure its your LCA bushings, have someone check them out.

PK-EK 12-13-2010 12:59 PM

The 7th gens and RSX have the same problem
the front strut bearings are worn out.

MindBomber 12-13-2010 01:20 PM

Strut bearings would be my second guess. Some of the 7thgen and RSX strut bearings are plastic and some are metal, I think in 2005 they were metal so they should be lot more durable than the early years.