REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-12-2011, 08:08 AM   #201
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
^
Advertisement
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #202
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestars View Post
why did he eject? was that part of the show? does the aircraft have an automated way of landing?
Seems like the landing gear didn't come out?
bengy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #203
Banned By Establishment

So there is a big rumor going around right now that 410 Squadron will be shut down by the end of this year. There will be no more newbie CF-18 fighter pilot training or courses after then, so bad news for you fighter pilot wannabes. Good news is, training will transition to the JSF for both the flight and ground crews, in what capacity, we don't know yet.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #204
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
That seems a bit early! I wasn't expecting that so soon but with all the initial JSF training being outsourced to the US that rumour wouldn't surprise me. I've heard it's a 2 year course for the pilots and ground crew in Florida (versus the 9 months currently for the F-18). With Canada starting to receive their 65 jets in 2016 they have to have people ready to fly and service them immediately so it will be an interesting transition. Belka have you heard anything about 409? My rumour mill says the gun squadrons in Cold Lake and Bagottville are going to double in size initially until the F-18 is completely phased out.
Posted via RS Mobile
JD像 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #205
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD像 View Post
That seems a bit early! I wasn't expecting that so soon but with all the initial JSF training being outsourced to the US that rumour wouldn't surprise me. I've heard it's a 2 year course for the pilots and ground crew in Florida (versus the 9 months currently for the F-18). With Canada starting to receive their 65 jets in 2016 they have to have people ready to fly and service them immediately so it will be an interesting transition. Belka have you heard anything about 409? My rumour mill says the gun squadrons in Cold Lake and Bagottville are going to double in size initially until the F-18 is completely phased out.
Posted via RS Mobile
Yes it does seem early, but I guess someone thought that we have enough CF-18 pilots until the JSF comes online. Don't know how it will be for pilots, but for the ground crew all the training will be done in Canada on the fighter Wings. We've already sent down representatives to California to begin training on the JSF, they will come back and stand up a training squadron or school in each Wing.

I've also heard that there will be 4 fighter squadrons again, this is almost certain. This is a much better idea than having one massive squadron on each coast like it is now. NORAD and QRA duties can be split and the workload can be managed more effectively, this way flight and ground crews won't be over tasked and worked like we are now. 409 will be split (thank fucking god) into 428 Ghost Squadron and 441 Silver Fox Squadron. Don't know what 425 will turn into.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #206
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
So would that mean I would essentially be shipped down to the states to learn how to fly the F-35 then?

Cuz by the time I got to the stage of either doing helicopter, transport, or fighter it won't be for some time. Especially if they make me do 4yrs at RMC.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #207
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,462 Times in 390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Especially if they make me do 4yrs at RMC.
woah...best of luck with that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Renn.Sport View Post
I sold my Yaris 5 years ago, and seriously, IT IS better than your shit box civics. The mods I have for that car is probably worth more than your whole self-worth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joreus View Post
After spending some time reading through this thread, I now know how to give a killer blowjob. Thanks revscene.

2005 richmond transportation device
nack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #208
I Wanna Go Fast!

Quote:
So would that mean I would essentially be shipped down to the states to learn how to fly the F-35 then?

Cuz by the time I got to the stage of either doing helicopter, transport, or fighter it won't be for some time. Especially if they make me do 4yrs at RMC.
Unless someone has been selected and is already on their way to Cold Lake to fly with 419 and 410 then by the sounds of it noone else will be trained with those squadrons. I'm sure the two courses of students they cycle through a year have already been chosen, and they will be the last to fly the CF-18 and will probably do so until 2018-2019 while everyone coming after them will go to the F35.

Con: The F35 course is 2.5 times longer than the CF-18 course
Pro: That time will be spent in the Southern US instead of freezing Cold Lake
Old 01-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #209

Quote:
Unless someone has been selected and is already on their way to Cold Lake to fly with 419 and 410 then by the sounds of it noone else will be trained with those squadrons. I'm sure the two courses of students they cycle through a year have already been chosen, and they will be the last to fly the CF-18 and will probably do so until 2018-2019 while everyone coming after them will go to the F35.

Yeeeeeeeepie. Would you be in that boat too?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #210
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Quote:

what happens to the current and training CF18 pilots in 5-10 years? the plane is being completely phased out once delivery of the JSF is complete, correct? from what Im gathering, since no new CF18 students will be accepted, all future pilot students will go to JSF. so with like 7 years of JSF trained pilots entering the system in the time until the CF18 is phased out, wont they fill the demand with the new pilots trained on the new plane? what happens to the current pilots once their CF18s are parked?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #211
I Wanna Go Fast!

Quote:
Yeeeeeeeepie. Would you be in that boat too?
I already have a degree so I'm at least 4 years ahead of you but I haven't even done BOTC yet so yes, sounds like I will never get to fly the CF-18. Disappointing in a way actually. Having grown up around 3rd and 4th Gen fighters it will be strange never getting to fly them.

The last active fighter my dad flew was the CF-5 with 419 in Cold Lake. He was just about to go on the CF-18 course and take a command posting but opted to get out of the military instead. Would have been cool to fly the same stuff he did, and now the CF-18 guys are chasing him around in his Lear jet in training so he knows all the tactics. If I make it to the F35 I can't cheat and pick his brain

EDIT - RRxtar: 8-10 years is the average length of a fighter pilots active duty. By the time the F35 is all Canada is flying more than 50% of the CF-18 pilots will have moved on to other duties within the Forces. The others will probably transfer over. I believe a posting is 3 years, so some CF-18 guys may do 1-2 postings before transferring. Depending on their age some may be considered too old to transfer, only time will tell. I'm just speculating.

EDIT - Did not edit RR's name before he noticed, dammit!

Last edited by JD像; 01-12-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:11 PM   #212

ah i see.

ps: thanks to you guys who are in the forces and/or training or thinking about it. i love hearing and reading the things you guys post. i like learning about what goes on. i was a cadet and always dreamed of what it would be like in the forces, but its not in my cards.

oh ya, and all that serving your country stuff too. thanks for that
Old 01-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #213

True true, hopefully they pay for me to finish my current degree. Only 2 more years.

I hear ya on being a bit dissapointed, such a prominent and popular fighter. Although i'm sure they will keep them around for Air Shows and what not.

edit: Thanks RRxtar, got a long ways to go before I even have to make the final decision if i'm going to go that route or not. Still have a fair few elimination process' to go through. I have a list of medical papers to get filled out now haha.

Last edited by GabAlmighty; 01-12-2011 at 07:37 PM.
GabAlmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #214

so far you guys are 0 for 2 on getting my fuckin name right haha
Old 01-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #215
I Wanna Go Fast!

Just reread Belka's post.... they're bringing back 441? Stalk And Kill baby!

Old 01-13-2011, 12:06 AM   #216
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

JD, what part of the application process are you on?

GabAlmighty, just so you know, RMC is for people without a degree. If you have your bachelor's, they're not going to send you to RMC, you'll be considered "Direct Entry Officer Plan".

Last edited by A.Finch; 01-13-2011 at 12:13 PM.
A.Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Finch View Post
JD, what part of the application process are you on?

GabAlmighty, just so you know, RMC is for people without a degree. If you have your bachelor's, they're not going to send you to RMC, you'll be considered "Direct Entry Officer Plan".
I'm in the middle of my degree. Two more years after this semester. I was talking to a friend who's a few steps ahead of me, he said they'll most likely just pay for my University to finish my current degree and then go DEO. We shall see. It makes more sense, they would save money that way.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #218
I Wanna Go Fast!

Quote:
JD, what part of the application process are you on.
Waiting on Aircrew Selection. I hope to swear in as soon as possible and go OJT at CFB Cold Lake once I've passed all my tests and am determined to be eligible for fighters.

Dad happened to be at CFB Cold Lake lastnight, says the rumour of 410 shutting down this early is highly unlikely as they wouldn't have enough guys to fly the F18 through until the end of it's service (2018-2020ish). It's likely that 410 may go away for a couple years during the transition phase to the F35 but it will be back. Only the first batch of pilots on the F35 will be trained in the US and the rest will be done here.

The Americans will train our guys and their own but they cannot handle all the pilots from other nations that buy into the F35. Canada may take on this responsibility! Word is that massive changes to the entire base will be taking place, a complete overhaul of the entire infrastructure.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:05 PM   #219
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
Quote:
Just reread Belka's post.... they're bringing back 441? Stalk And Kill baby!

someone is bound to put pedo bear on it...

"lure and trap"

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:08 PM   #220

Quote:
Waiting on Aircrew Selection. I hope to swear in as soon as possible and go OJT at CFB Cold Lake once I've passed all my tests and am determined to be eligible for fighters.
So have you already completed phase 1 and 2?:S
Old 01-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #221
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
aircrew selection is before everything, most people go through aircrew selection at the same time as their CFAT.
A.Finch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #222
I Wanna Go Fast!

Quote:
No I haven't even been accepted as a pilot yet. I still have to go to CFB Trenton for simulator testing and a major medical before I'm offered a job. Then I will swear in, do BOTC (Basic Officer Training Course), begin pilot training. I hope that will all take place this year.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #223

Quote:
aircrew selection is before everything, most people go through aircrew selection at the same time as their CFAT.
Quote:
No I haven't even been accepted as a pilot yet. I still have to go to CFB Trenton for simulator testing and a major medical before I'm offered a job. Then I will swear in, do BOTC (Basic Officer Training Course), begin pilot training. I hope that will all take place this year.
So Aircrew selection they basically tell you what you're eligible to do? Ie, transport, helicopter, or fighter? Or all I guess?

Ah, icic. My friend is at the same step. Waiting to do that simulator thing and medical... I got some catching up to do haha. Pissed because I have to get a bunch of things filled out because I had laser surgery and my Optometrist isn't available for 2 weeks grrr.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:42 PM   #224
I Wanna Go Fast!

Aircrew Selection is never done at the same time as the CFAT. Two totally separate steps. At selection they determine your basic ability to fly i.e. hand eye coordination, spacial awareness, ability to handle stress, ability to fly in the sim etc. During the medical portion they measure every aspect of your body to determine which aircraft you actually fit into from fighters to transport helicopters. That way you know what you actually could fly before you swear in and sign up for a minimum 8 years of your life. At 6'3" I will be within an inch or so on my hip to knee length. Any longer and my legs hit the instrument panel and I can't push the rudder pedals.

In the legacy CF-18 I don't fit, I sat in Donor's demo last year. But the new seats slide back farther and I JUST make it. F35 is apparently a much more spacious cockpit (thank god).

Old 01-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #225

Interesting, thanks for the info. Learn something new everytime I open this thread haha. I'm at 5'11 so we'll see what I can fit.

edit... Aaaaaaaaaaaand we need more blackbird. You wouldn't by chance happen to have a copy of Sledgedriver would you...?