REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Dried pasta or fresh pasta? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/633094-dried-pasta-fresh-pasta.html)

Amuse 12-18-2010 09:25 AM

Dried pasta or fresh pasta?

I'm looking to buy a pasta maker for home use.
Is it worth all that effort to make fresh spaghetti to eat?

What do you guys prefer? Dried pasta or fresh pasta?

EastVan 12-18-2010 09:27 AM

Fresh pasta is alway good =)
Posted via RS Mobile

cho 12-18-2010 10:51 AM

fresh
egg + flour + salt

1/8 of the cooking time

unit 12-18-2010 11:06 AM

Nothing wrong with dry of course fresh is preferred.

Cooking time is a moot point because you hve to spend more time making the pasta

Also when u buy a pasta maker u can make ravioli, tagliatelle, pappaedelle, etc...
Posted via RS Mobile

OhhJay 12-18-2010 11:10 AM

Fresh ! :)

Culture_Vulture 12-18-2010 12:16 PM

Dry. Personally I hate working with flour, shit gets everywhere.

November 12-18-2010 01:47 PM

Personally, I prefer dried pasta because you can get that "al dente" texture that you cannot properly accomplish with fresh pasta. But in the end, it really depends on the way that you are preparing the pasta.

Dry pasta can hold up to heartier, thicker sauces whereas fresh pastas are more suitable for lighter & creamier sauces.

At the same time, you can incorporate a lot more flavour into fresh pasta. I think that pasta's like ravioli and pappardelle are best fresh but I like my linguine/fettucine/spaghetti dry.

You can't really say that one is better than the other because they both have their pro's and con's. It's just personal preference.

6793026 12-18-2010 02:21 PM

I cook a lot and I've a pasta hang cranked machine.

pros: fresh pasta is just off the hook, it's night and day in comparison. making real ravioli is just going to blow your minds away.
cons: it's really messy and it takes about 4 times as long to make and get it done. you really have to have a passion for it and have the time to roll the dough.

It's like making fresh spring rolls versus getting them yourself from T&T. Fresh tastes better but it's twice and long but sometimes you just want something quick.

MT 12-18-2010 06:20 PM

Fresh pasta all the way!!
It's just shorter cooking time.

Amuse 12-19-2010 04:16 PM

can i make fresh pasta without eggs?

Santofu 12-19-2010 05:31 PM

You really need eggs to make pasta to bind together.
I don't know if there is an substitute for eggs unless you can search it up.

lowside67 12-19-2010 06:42 PM

Dried or fresh definitely depends on the type of pasta. Something like ravioli would be beautiful with fresh pasta but most of the shaped pasta like penne, etc. I actually prefer the texture from dried, not to mention it's a million times less work. While fresh pasta from your pastamaker is a nice party trick when you have people over, I can think of a lot of different things I could buy for my kitchen and use the money and space I would spend on the pastamaker.

-Mark

aznrsx1979 12-22-2010 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amuse (Post 7233736)

I've seen a few recipes online but have yet to try them.

What kind of pasta did you want to make?

Amuse 12-22-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznrsx1979 (Post 7237903)
I've seen a few recipes online but have yet to try them.

What kind of pasta did you want to make?

Spaghetti
I bought a Marcato 150 hand crank pasta maker.
It seems like it's going to be fun making spaghetti from this machine.

Hot Karl 12-22-2010 11:27 PM

different pastas and sauces have different applications.

you can be a yuppie foodie and harp about how amazing fresh pasta is, but some dishes get very sloppy with fresh pasta. ravioli and the like are great fresh because they are essentially fresh pasta dumplings. obviously they would be miles better fresh. but a lot of folks, myself included are pretty anal about al dente. i hate that soft mushy crap, so that is a kicker for me.

and i'm chinese, pasta is about convenience for me. i get my red sauce from an italian family who harvests and jars up their tomatoes every year. i got jars of sauce from '96, seriously.

sonick 12-30-2010 08:27 AM

For most basic noodle pasta dishes like spaghetti/fettucine etc. dried pasta is usually preferable over fresh due to the texture difference, even by traditonalists.

For raviolis and such fresh is preferred.

Great68 12-30-2010 08:40 AM

The only time I'd go to the trouble to make fresh pasta would be if I was making a special dinner/having guests over for dinner. There's no way I could find the time to make fresh pasta on normal week nights.

TheNewGirl 12-30-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amuse (Post 7233736)

There's several egg replacers available, check out the organic aisle at super store (it will be near the gluten free section) and the various organic stores such as Planet Organic (their egg replace is also near their Gluten Free section).