REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   95 accord grinding noise (https://www.revscene.net/forums/633506-95-accord-grinding-noise.html)

nack 12-23-2010 10:57 PM

95 accord grinding noise

whenever i'm cruising along at just below 2 thousand revs, it makes some grinding noise; but, when i go past or keep it under that, the sound goes away.

any explanation?

keep in mind the car is a 4speed auto (if that somewhat helps)

oldsnail 12-23-2010 11:54 PM

around what area of the car is the grinding coming from?
when changing gear?

BNR32_Coupe 12-24-2010 04:09 AM

go to mr lube, get them to do a complimentary transmission fluid check.

nack 12-24-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldsnail (Post 7239269)
around what area of the car is the grinding coming from?
when changing gear?

the sound seems to come from the engine itself, and no not when it changes gears

Quote:

Originally Posted by BNR32_Coupe (Post 7239390)
go to mr lube, get them to do a complimentary transmission fluid check.

mixed feelings on that

Puck Luck 12-24-2010 12:50 PM

there was a bulletin waaay back about a problem you're describing on those years of accords. Honda described the noise as a buzz/groan or droan while cruising around the 2000 rpm area.
In your exhaust, there's a mid pipe about 6 or 7 inches long (between the "A" pipe and converter). A kit was available to replaced the gaskets and mounting hardware for that pipe. I doubt that kit is still available. You can try lubricating the two gaskets with nickel anti-seize. That often works. These particular gaskets are thicker like little donuts, and are used so the exhaust can flex along with the engine.

fliptuner 12-24-2010 01:01 PM

Fairly vague description of the problem but my guess is a possible exhaust heat shield vibration. Why not get someone to help you find the source of the sound? Maybe you can replicate it while the car is stationary to get a better idea of where it's coming from.

Puck Luck 12-24-2010 01:34 PM

Description is vague. But heat shields can generally be replicated while revving the engine and have the car stationary. With the mid-pipe groan, the car has to be under load or driven.

nack 12-24-2010 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck Luck (Post 7239627)
there was a bulletin waaay back about a problem you're describing on those years of accords. Honda described the noise as a buzz/groan or droan while cruising around the 2000 rpm area.
In your exhaust, there's a mid pipe about 6 or 7 inches long (between the "A" pipe and converter). A kit was available to replaced the gaskets and mounting hardware for that pipe. I doubt that kit is still available. You can try lubricating the two gaskets with nickel anti-seize. That often works. These particular gaskets are thicker like little donuts, and are used so the exhaust can flex along with the engine.

thank you, i'll look into that
Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 7239639)
Fairly vague description of the problem but my guess is a possible exhaust heat shield vibration. Why not get someone to help you find the source of the sound? Maybe you can replicate it while the car is stationary to get a better idea of where it's coming from.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puck Luck (Post 7239676)
Description is vague. But heat shields can generally be replicated while revving the engine and have the car stationary. With the mid-pipe groan, the car has to be under load or driven.

it only seems to make the noise when it's being driven

Yay...Twins! 12-24-2010 08:14 PM

As you stated its coming form the engine ..could you have possibly mistaken the grinding noise for valve tick? Are you filling it with a high octane fuel? If so, it could be the cause.

Had a 98 accord, filled it with 91 and started hearing the tick

nack 12-24-2010 08:29 PM

is it a good thing to fill it up with high octane fuel if it makes the noise than?

seems like a trap

Yay...Twins! 12-25-2010 12:44 AM

Well.. i'm not sure if the accord has a knock sensor. if it does then the ecu would advance the timing for the higher octane fuel.Then, you would only have this problem if you have a faulty/broken knock sensor or harness.

Read the manual and see what octane they recommend.

Puck Luck 12-26-2010 12:18 PM

95 accord has no knock sensor. If its knocking of pinging, it would be more noticable under acceleration and would sound like something rattling in a tin can