REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Private sellers trading vehicles, do they pay tax? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/634048-private-sellers-trading-vehicles-do-they-pay-tax.html)

Jgresch 01-01-2011 04:45 PM

Private sellers trading vehicles, do they pay tax?

Hardly found any info online that is BC specific...

Basically my question is, 2 people trade vehicle with each other, when they go to register/transfer, will they pay hst? In the example I will say it is a straight trade.

I know when you trade your car into the dealer you only pay tax on the difference.

Relative info here: http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_l...ns/ctr_001.pdf
Quote:

When you provide designated property [such as a car] as a trade-in to a seller at a private sale in British Columbia, you pay TDP[Tax on Designated property] on the difference between the purchase price of the designated property you are purchasing and the fair market value of the trade-in.
Other than that I haven't found anything regarding HST really. Though I've found a couple places that say you must pay HST on the fair market value of the car, not what you actually paid for it.....

thx guys for any info :)

edit: this thread was kind of similar but didn't give a straight answer http://www.revscene.net/forums/icbc-...html?p=7238591

JesseBlue 01-01-2011 04:56 PM

i think you only pay if there is some cash exchanging hands but am not fully sure...

oldsnail 01-01-2011 05:17 PM

last time i did a trade.. i dealt it as a sale and used the transfer papers stating the value of the car and paying tax accordingly

Jgresch 01-01-2011 05:25 PM

^How long ago was that? So you basically said the market value of my new car is $x,xxx then paid the tax on that?

UFO 01-01-2011 07:32 PM

I recall there was a form or a section on the transfer form pertaining to trades. Tax is only paid on the difference in transaction value of the 2 vehicles.

!SG 01-01-2011 07:38 PM

even if u do a "cash only" transaction, when u register the vehicle, and go get insurance for the vehicle, you will pay taxes on the amount written down for value of vehicle on registration.

JesseBlue 01-01-2011 07:42 PM

paying taxes again and again and again...

feiron 01-01-2011 08:10 PM

AFAIK you need to pay tax for that. Not sure about the amount. Ownership transfer is not taxable when both party are family related (parents to children or between siblings). My brother transferred his car 2 years ago.

Jgresch 01-01-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UFO (Post 7248094)
I recall there was a form or a section on the transfer form pertaining to trades. Tax is only paid on the difference in transaction value of the 2 vehicles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by !SG (Post 7248099)
even if u do a "cash only" transaction, when u register the vehicle, and go get insurance for the vehicle, you will pay taxes on the amount written down for value of vehicle on registration.

Thanks guys, but again, conflicting information which is all I've been able to come up with all night. What !SG said does make sense, but I have never bought a car privately. So basically they ask you what the market value is? Or they use a guide themselves? What if someone just finds an awesome deal, would they still have to pay tax on the full market value anyways?

Jgresch 01-01-2011 08:20 PM

Actually, I've got a transfer form handy, heres what it reads.....

Tax Calulation
Other than Dealers

Purchase Price:
Less Trade(If applic.):
Net Purchase price:
SST/TDP Payable:
HST(BC) Payable(If applicable):

The wording of this makes me feel like you would only pay tax on market value difference?

UFO 01-01-2011 08:42 PM

Yes, that's the section I was referring to. I thought I had read something like that when we got our car privately a few months ago (not through trade though).

I've never heard of paying tax based on market value of the car, but only on actual transaction value. We sold our old car lower than market value and the buyer only had to pay the tax based on sale price as there are many factors that can obviously affect a car's true value. So you should only have to pay tax on the actual difference in prices like you would at a dealer, not the 'market value'

Jgresch 01-01-2011 08:50 PM

Thanks^ Seems to make sense to me now.

hk20000 01-03-2011 07:49 AM

when i traded in my 2004 subaru for the 1997 mercedes i paid no ax at all even when it was through the dealer - i got the price difference back in a check with no mention of tax deduction whatsoever...

so if it was a equal value trade i would think it is exempted from tax. hst is for when you spend money, not for if you barter things imo.
Posted via RS Mobile

freakshow 01-03-2011 05:26 PM

Two private sellers trading cars of equal value should pay no tax.
If there is any cash exchanging hands, the one who paid pays tax that amount of cash, it has nothing to do with the market value.
If they deem the trade (or purchase for that matter) to not be of market value, there is a waiver/disclaimer section that you need to fill out stating the reason why.

moldex 07-29-2017 06:54 AM

Bump.

Wondering if the private trade happened in the end and was the resulting taxes paid just the difference in your vehicles prices?