REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/automotive-detailing-car-care-tech_49/)
-   -   stored car - mold? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/634617-stored-car-mold.html)

Nanaki 01-08-2011 08:50 AM

stored car - mold?

i've had my second car sitting for about 3-4 months and apparently a seal is broken. I opened it up to find mold growing on the seats with moisture on the inside of the windows. Its also starting on the door panels and dash.

What can i do to get rid of it all? :cry:

racerman88 01-08-2011 11:42 AM

sounds like a full interior detail is needed just to be safe.

godwin 01-08-2011 01:32 PM

Fix the leak, if the seats etc are moist and molding, you pretty much need to take apart everything. There is just no easy way to do it properly.

You can by big tub of moisture absorbing gel from places like Princess Auto. Store cars in enclosed space.

Phil@rise 01-08-2011 07:36 PM

time to declare it a bio-hazard quarantine and burn.
Its not uncommon for the moisture barrier on the doors being torn or loose to allow moisture build up in a car if left uncovered out in the rain.
A mild bleach solution and some elbow grease will clean it up and then condition all the leathers if any, vacuum and let it dry, it'll be fine.

Matlock 01-08-2011 08:57 PM

Take care not to breathe in too many mold spores. If you don't eliminate all of it you can get sick :(
Posted via RS Mobile

Nanaki 01-08-2011 09:20 PM

Thx mattock I'll definitely wear a proper mask, it's bad. I'm tempted to push it into the Fraser at this point lol
Posted via RS Mobile

corollagtSr5 01-09-2011 03:37 AM

vinegar kills mold
theres youtube videos

911fanatic 01-09-2011 07:24 AM

How bad is the mold? If its still white or green, it can be washed down with pretty much any household cleaner. I personally wouldn't be using any dilution of bleach in my car. If it has turned black, its almost impossible to remove. As mentioned, wear a mask and have all the doors open for good ventilation. A bigger problem is going to be finding out where the moisture got it. If its been stored for awhile outside, temp swings could have caused condensation on the inside of the glass and voila! Instant mold.

noventa 01-09-2011 09:12 PM

just a word of warning. I used a watered down bleach solution to clean my mold. Unfortunately, I don't think it was watered down enough as the solution was strong enough to turn some of my black vinyl grey.

corollagtSr5 01-11-2011 05:49 PM

Nanaki 01-11-2011 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 911fanatic (Post 7257461)
How bad is the mold? If its still white or green, it can be washed down with pretty much any household cleaner. I personally wouldn't be using any dilution of bleach in my car. If it has turned black, its almost impossible to remove. As mentioned, wear a mask and have all the doors open for good ventilation. A bigger problem is going to be finding out where the moisture got it. If its been stored for awhile outside, temp swings could have caused condensation on the inside of the glass and voila! Instant mold.

its white and green. Its all black cloth so if there is black mold i cant see it yet lol. My door is creaking so i think its seeped in through there. Once i clean it all up i'll pinpoint the leak

911fanatic 01-11-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanaki (Post 7261121)
its white and green. Its all black cloth so if there is black mold i cant see it yet lol. My door is creaking so i think its seeped in through there. Once i clean it all up i'll pinpoint the leak

If its just white and green you'll be fine. Wash all the plastic and vinyl down with your APC of choice. Shampoo the seats. If you don't have a shampooer, lightly spray your APC on the seats, use a stiff brush to lightly scrub and wipe with a MF.

corollagtSr5 01-12-2011 05:16 AM

I've done the vinegar and it reaks like vinegar for a bit, but it gets rid of the mold.

Smallermouse 02-05-2011 07:55 PM

After cleaning the car with vinegar. u should rent a steam cleaner for the cloths and seats in the car and steam that place up.

SkydiveDan 02-05-2011 09:54 PM

I have the same problem. There's no way for me to find the leak right now since it's uninsured and being stored.

So is there anything else that I can do to prevent the mold in the meantime?? I heard that I can get some kind of powder or desiccant... maybe silica packs... that will absorb the moisture inside the cabin. I have also heard of using baking soda like Arm and Hammer might work too. Does anyone know where I can get a desiccant for mine and Nanaki's cars??

Nanaki 02-06-2011 10:31 AM

i'm using a moisture absorber, i cant remember the name but it was at canadian tire for about $10. I should check if its working lol. Its a bucket with a cup holding the absorber so the moisture is trapped and you can just pour it out. They had refills for it as well.

SkydiveDan 02-07-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanaki (Post 7294697)
i'm using a moisture absorber, i cant remember the name but it was at canadian tire for about $10. I should check if its working lol. Its a bucket with a cup holding the absorber so the moisture is trapped and you can just pour it out. They had refills for it as well.

Yup I got some stuff from Lordco called Dry-It. They didn't have any of the holders so I just put some of the beads in a small dish and put it in my car. It started to clump up right away so I think that's a good sign. Hopefully just leaving it in a dish will work... they guy at Lordco said it should.

need2speed 02-08-2011 11:19 PM

I'm having the same problem, let me know if that moisture absorber works.
Posted via RS Mobile

Nanaki 02-21-2011 09:09 PM

the moisture absorber works like a charm :fullofwin:

SkydiveDan 02-25-2011 09:35 PM

Ya mine worked like magic too. No mold whatsoever. The desiccant soaked up ALOT of moisture from inside my car.

i-vtecyo 02-26-2011 12:47 PM

dam just went out to check on my mr2 and when i opened the door, i saw mold growing on the seat and seat belt. it was disgusting didnt realize my dri z air beads were all gone. I quickly wiped down the mold and drove to canadian tire and bought the dri z air refills :D

Nvasion 03-07-2011 10:17 AM

went to canadian tire yesterday in surrey and didnt find a mold prevention product. any one got a pic of the product?

sleepywheel 03-07-2011 08:45 PM

Any RV place will have it. I use it for my camper when it's outside and in my pickup truck. It's surprising how much moisture accumulates inside a vehicle when it sits outside. The little canister/tray is around $15. It's called Dri-Z-Air.

Oh yeah, I've been told to be really careful with the water that accumulates at the bottom of the tray. It's dangerous for pets and will stain your upholstery.

dinamix 03-07-2011 08:48 PM

Clr is magic
Posted via RS Mobile