REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   Exhaust installation cost (https://www.revscene.net/forums/635490-exhaust-installation-cost.html)

PC69 01-18-2011 08:18 PM

Exhaust installation cost

I'm looking for a shop in richmond to swap exhaust on 2 bmw. Basically I need to move an exhaust from car #1 to car #2 and from car # 2 to car #1. How much will this cost me? Thanks

pingu81 01-18-2011 08:25 PM

Depends on the shop labour rate and how many hours they quote. Call some shops and find out.

Smallermouse 01-31-2011 12:06 AM

u should jack up your car and do it yourself.

d.to 02-01-2011 01:53 PM

i'll charge you $200. PM for more info.

TheSalesman 02-01-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smallermouse (Post 7286389)
u should jack up your car and do it yourself.

This is probably the worst thing you can do. Without the proper tools, you'll have an exhaust on the floor with some broken bolts and some rusted ones too. You might get stuck...

lowda9 02-01-2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSalesman (Post 7288264)
This is probably the worst thing you can do. Without the proper tools, you'll have an exhaust on the floor with some broken bolts and some rusted ones too. You might get stuck...

who doesnt have a ratchet and some wd40?

TheSalesman 02-02-2011 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowda9 (Post 7288430)

How about a torch? Sometimes those bolts don't come off that easily.

I'v taken off my stock exhaust from my car but it is pretty old.
Basically I broke 2-3 bolts and if it wasn't broken, I tossed them into the trash because they were so rusty.
Luckily I was using an impact gun and not a ratchet...my god...if I had to use a ratchet..

Muffler Man in burnaby does good work at a good price too.

Phil@rise 02-02-2011 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowda9 (Post 7288430)

wd40 doesnt always work quite often you need some heat

MrGoodbar 02-02-2011 03:05 PM

propane torch and PB blaster and a ratchet is the absolute minimum when taking of rusty exhaust bolts yourself. even then, no guarantees that the bolt won't break. I promise PB blaster will work on rust better than WD40. WD40 sprayed onto rusted bolts don't react or fizz at all. At least PB blaster fizzes and penetrates so you know it's doing something.

GoneGuru 02-02-2011 05:15 PM

The guy I bought the car from put on the exhaust himself I guess. I never really looked at it until today, the exhaust is touching the bumper and the bumper is pretty much melted around it, lolololol. Only really noticeable if you lie down under the car though, so I say get it done professionally.

jing 02-02-2011 06:05 PM

^ could be because the exhaust is designed for a jdm or w/e bumper and doesn't line up as good for it's north American counterpart
Posted via RS Mobile

lowda9 02-02-2011 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoneGuru (Post 7289871)
The guy I bought the car from put on the exhaust himself I guess. I never really looked at it until today, the exhaust is touching the bumper and the bumper is pretty much melted around it, lolololol. Only really noticeable if you lie down under the car though, so I say get it done professionally.

the exhaust is most likely designed to be touching the bumper. installing an exhaust was the first mod that i ever did to my car and i was surprised how easy it was. But ya i agree with you guys, how a torch can be handy.

Phil@rise 02-03-2011 09:15 AM

An exhaust should NEVER be touching the bumper. Very dangerous and at best a nuisance.

GoneGuru 02-03-2011 06:28 PM

yeah my bumper is like melted around the exhaust tip. prob buy a hanger this weekend.

lowda9 02-06-2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 7290860)
An exhaust should NEVER be touching the bumper. Very dangerous and at best a nuisance.

You're wrong. A lot of exhausts are designed to angle outwards and upwards its the style. I know some fujitsubo exhausts do on the civics and my apexi exhaust on my old s13 did. As well as megan racing and the list goes on.

But you are probably talking about stock exhausts and in that case, then yes i've never seen exhausts touch the bumper.

!SG 02-08-2011 06:09 AM

how many here answering in the thread have ACTUALLY taken off an exhaust from a bmw before?

what year is ur car and what model? if its a 3 series, and its the oem exhaust, you better have an extra pair of hands as the exhaust is 1 whole piece from exhaust tip to just before the header. unlike some other cars, its a very solid exhaust, and has some decent weight to it. you might be better off getting someone to do it rather than doing it urself in ur drive way on jack stands.

i would estimate 0.5hrs to 0.75hrs to remove the exhaust and vice versa to put it back, this is assuming everything goes as planned and nothing is seized.

Phil@rise 02-08-2011 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowda9 (Post 7294680)
You're wrong. A lot of exhausts are designed to angle outwards and upwards its the style. I know some fujitsubo exhausts do on the civics and my apexi exhaust on my old s13 did. As well as megan racing and the list goes on.

But you are probably talking about stock exhausts and in that case, then yes i've never seen exhausts touch the bumper.

Just cuz they do doesn't mean they should is what I'm getting at.
The damage it causes is obvious the noise associated is a nuisance and its a fire hazard in some cases.