REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 03-08-2024, 07:08 PM   #926
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,014 Times in 8,292 Posts
Made my best loaf yet! For whatever reason, this flour just sucked up the water perfectly, and I barely had to strengthen it. It proofed in about 7 hours (cool day at 23C) and was easy to shape after that. Hydration was 71% before handling

If you compare the crust to the earlier one I posted, you can see how it exploded and tore through the soft inner dough, instead of just sort of spreading apart and cooking.

Somewhat inconsistent crumb but whatever

Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2024, 06:56 PM   #927
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,921 Times in 1,807 Posts
Nice work!

I just got an Ooni Koda Pizza Oven a couple weeks ago, first ever try came out pretty damn good:

2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2024, 07:13 PM   #928

That looks good, I love those burnt little bubbles. How did the bottom turn out? I'm not a huge fan of salad on my pizza though

I want to make sourdough versions of everything now. Focaccia, bagels, croissants, pizza.. First step is to really nail down the rise habits of my starter, and hydration levels. I have some 80% fermenting in the fridge right now, my highest attempt since my first failures.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:22 PM   #929

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
How did the bottom turn out?
Thanks

As
would say, (heavy italian accent) "Soft and Crownchy!"
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 03-20-2024, 07:27 PM   #930
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,523 Posts
Question: Does the pizza oven come with a recipe for the dough?
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
The other option is to find a hot young girlfriend so you're suddenly motivated to get into shape.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2024, 07:32 PM   #931

Yeah, it comes with several dough variation recipes.

But I've been watching this Vito guy, and used his 3-day, poolish starter process and it came out pretty dead on on the first try as you can see from the pictures
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 05-24-2024, 03:14 AM   #932

Update!

I got pretty good at baking sourdough! I have been baking about 10 loaves a week since I last posted, giving away as much as I can. I always get good feedback, except for the weirdos who don't like bread. I have learned a lot on my own, about how the starter works, when to feed it, when it can be used, etc. It's not "complicated" but I guess you could say you need experience.

I can make a pretty good loaf with my shitty countertop oven that only goes up to 220 C (430 F) (ideally I'd be baking at 260 C / 500 F), and a $40 dutch oven

I kind of want to start doing this for a living actually
This post thanked by:
Old 05-25-2024, 01:34 PM   #933
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,661 Times in 5,805 Posts
Looks great, how’s the taste?

I’ve had some great loafs recently from a local bakery who makes sourdough Ciabatta, it’s so sour it’s super good
Old 05-25-2024, 02:23 PM   #934
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,040 Posts
nice, i used to bake lots of bread but got too lazy, plus my partner has a gluten sensitivity

i did buy an ooni 16" gas oven though, although it's been sitting in the box still since last year.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 02:43 PM   #935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Looks great, how’s the taste?

I’ve had some great loafs recently from a local bakery who makes sourdough Ciabatta, it’s so sour it’s super good
When fresh there's a slight yogurty sourness (I guess from the lactic acid bacteria). It's actually not super sour like you sometimes get from grocery stores. I think some places add citric acid to their dough to make it more sour.

Crumb is very fluffy, not dense, making it good for sandwiches. I ferment on the longer side, which makes huge fluffy loaves that have a bit of a wild shape. Almost too much sometimes actually, because it's so warm in my kitchen now. But I find slightly overproofed to have the best taste and texture rather than being under. Crust is crispy when fresh and makes a mess when you slice it lol

After a day, a bit more sourness sets in. The crust 'solidifies' more, making it easier to slice, but it's not quite as tasty. That crust flavor starts to soak into the crumb

For a long time I had a problem where the bottom crust would be super thick and tough. So I changed my method to take it out of the dutch oven completely after the first 20 minutes (instead of just removing the lid) and that fixed it

We've found that it makes amazing french toast. The hint of sour makes it taste like there's berries in it, even if you just use milk and eggs and maple syrup. Actually amazingly good

Next step is I need to work on my shaping, and also learn how to read 'issues' better. Right now if something is wrong, I don't have the knowledge to figure out exactly what happened. Like if there's a giant air pocket, was that my shaping? Overproofed? I can make great bread, but right now "I don't know what I don't know", so I think it could be even better. Need to read some books

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
nice, i used to bake lots of bread but got too lazy, plus my partner has a gluten sensitivity

i did buy an ooni 16" gas oven though, although it's been sitting in the box still since last year.
BTW I have heard this, but I don't know if it's true, but sourdough is allegedly safe for gluten sensitive people (not full celiac) because the yeast/bacteria culture breaks down a lot of the gluten during fermentation. That's also what makes highly fermented sourdough so fluffy (if you leave it just a bit longer, it breaks down completely and you have a pancake)
This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2024, 07:48 AM   #936
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,661 Times in 5,805 Posts
Yea some people seem to use the starter for pancakes and waffles for that sour taste, I tried a few times with my starter but I don’t think it was ever working too well
Old 05-27-2024, 02:50 PM   #937

Yeah I've tried it.. it was fine. people like to use discard for things because it feels like you're throwing away a lot of flour, but I never have discard.. I keep about 120g of starter going at all times. Use 100g for a loaf, feed the rest with another 100g of flour/water. Once it's fed, it goes in the fridge where it sleeps until I need it. If I want to make more than one loaf, I feed it first.

I also started an offshoot using only bread flour (normally you mix in 50% whole wheat although I am not sure why) so I can start trying to make other things like pizza crust, bagels, croissants, etc. I'd like to be able to make sourdough versions of basically any bread. It's challenging!
Old 06-01-2024, 10:59 AM   #938
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

That sounds like a phenomenal framework you've got going together with your starter! It's amazing how you keep up it without any dispose of – exceptionally productive. Testing with diverse flours and growing your preparing collection to incorporate pizza outside, bagels, and croissants is such a awesome thought. Sourdough adaptations of those would be astounding! Heating is certainly a challenge, but it's so fulfilling to see the tasty comes about. Keep up the extraordinary work, and I'd cherish to listen how your sourdough experiences turn out!
Old 06-01-2024, 02:14 PM   #939

AI forum bot?
Old 06-01-2024, 02:57 PM   #940
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,523 Posts
Suspicious posts by this user who...posts so infrequently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
The other option is to find a hot young girlfriend so you're suddenly motivated to get into shape.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2024, 03:14 PM   #941

But like, to what end?