REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-26-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
RS controls my life!

course advice.. auto tech or ..

very interested in auto tech working on cars since I always loved cars. I know there are negatives about the job, heavy equipment, dirty but what job doesnt have negatives? do you think this career will be good in the future due to cars having more technology and people will always need to fix cars. do mechanics make good money? there are other courses i am looking at but don't think i will enjoy doing as much as workin on vehicles. what are your thoughts n advice? thx
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

If it is something you love to do, I'd say go for it. I'd rather make less and have a smile on my face rather than feel like shit everyday just to make a few more bucks. Just my $0.02.
PavelGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
my family kept telling me to do computer programming and i hated that but loved Hospitality so i went after want i loved and i couldnt be more happy.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:14 PM   #4
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Just to give you an idea at a dealer, Red sealed tech makes about 30 an hour on a flat rate system.

Expect to pull in more hours than scheduled (do 10hrs of work in an 8hr shift). Though i'm just talking about a dealer-- I did do work exp at two small shops (one franchised) and both were hourly wages.

I'm just a lot boy at a dealer, I asked around. I was in the same shoes as you. I'm still in highschool and decided to get a start on my first year via some program. Don't how old you are, but yeah if you're still in hs going gr 12 take a look at the ace it program. It's pretty much free (minus some textbook fees) and is spanned over the school year, so you can really get a feel for the trade.

About school though: expect a lot of theory-- We're spending more than 80% of the time in the classroom so we can manage to get first year certified.

I might sound like im str8 outta a textbook but i really do believe that this trade won't slow down in the future. It will continue to grow and they'll be jobs out there. Though, this also means continuously learning on the job.

Hope that gave you some kind of insight.
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

^
So what's your reason for dropping out of programming? I'm taking programming myself and I can see why one would hate it if you have absolutely no interest for this stuff.

For OP: Go for what you love. Since you love cars, go for it. If you have anything specific you really like such as body work, even better. That narrows down your choices for what you should take.
db2 #51 - garage queen/summer daily
golf mk3 - 2016 winter beater [sold]
ae92 - 2017 spring beater
Cillu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #6

honestly, i wanted to be an auto mechanic since i was a kid. I even work at a shop right now just for experience and as a hobby.

Its sometimes fun, and its sometimes shitty.

Personally I have changed my idea around. I DON'T want to do mechanical work. It's so hard on your body that you hardly can work after the age of 40 or 50. If you're working at a dealer, you have to rack in those hours if you want to make money. That means you got to bust your ass!! Also working at a dealership you get no help, you're basically alone. I work at an indy shop. There are sometimes 2 or 3 of us. When in need. We all work together which i really like. I'll keep auto mechanics as a hobby, but never as a future career. I do believe you can make excellent money in it though.

Also with today's cars. It's becoming more complicated. God knows what its going to be like working on some of these new cars soon.

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
RS controls my life!

yeah, in this field I suppose if you wanted to make good money, you would have to build your specialty around a specific area of the vehicle like only working on transmission or body work.

I dunno, been deciding forever on what to actually get into. Just don't wanna regret taking something and wasting more time.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:42 PM   #8

It's a scary thought about the dealer but its true. Noones going to lend you a hand with diagnostics or let you borrow tools. But alot of the guys at my place are well over 40 and theyre still hauling ass.

Just curious to above-- what career did you go into (or planning to).
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #9
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cillu View Post
^
So what's your reason for dropping out of programming? I'm taking programming myself and I can see why one would hate it if you have absolutely no interest for this stuff.

For OP: Go for what you love. Since you love cars, go for it. If you have anything specific you really like such as body work, even better. That narrows down your choices for what you should take.
Going just for "what you love" is overrated. You have to have a good mix of both sides. You are not going to be happy if you enjoy what you are doing but aren't living the lifestyle you wish to live while providing your family with at least a good home, a good education, and other opportunities.

That said, you also are not going to be happy if you are making a shitload of money but spending 8 hours a day, 5 days a week doing something you have no interest in.

They key is to have the perfect mixture of both.
n0ob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #10
RS controls my life!

was always interested in doing something with cars, electrician, computer network/programming. As of the moment its between those three areas. I want to do something in engineering but time flies so cross that.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #11
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
If you are genuinely interested at least give it a try but keep an open mind and don't be afraid to turn back if you start hating what you're doing
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #12
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

When your hobby/interest becomes your career it loses its appeal pretty quick.
Find a versatile degree that kinda interests you. As you go to school you will learn about many niche jobs out their that might cater to your interests/strengths.

A semi interesting 9-5 job that pays decent enough to allow you to turn wrenches on your project car beats turning wrenches 9-5 with no end in sight. (all imho )
deep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #13
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Do what you love. That's what i'm in school to do right now. Also, all jobs have their little nooks and crannies for specialty stuff. I recommend trying to find something you can be trully passionate about in there and go for it.

For my career there are certain areas that I currently have no interest in doing and other's that get me wet, funny because what I want to do is lower paying than what most people "want".

Either way, listen to your gut. Do what feels right.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:29 PM   #14
HELP ME PLS!!!

the only reason i work at a shop right now is for my own benefits of fixing my own car for free haha. Fixing cars would be a hobby for me, I wound't make a career out of it
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:52 AM   #15
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
OP: It's not a bad career choice, I mean, no matter what happens, people are always gonna need their cars serviced. So it's safe to say there will always be work, but expect to start out at the $10-$20 range.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:08 AM   #16
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
how do u pick a career if your not sure what to get into =|
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:59 AM   #17
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

OP, if i were u i would do a thorough research for each job that might interests u. Like an actual thorough research so that you will know what it's like after you graduate. I know it's hard and i know what it feels like, it might seem like a stupid comment..but you will have to try out what you like first. Because during school, you will actually find out what you like isn't what you actually have in mind.

But if you totally lost interest in what you took after graduation...fear not, take programs that actually interests you now that you know what it's like but i would suggest try to relate back to what you graduate with. (If that's possible) Relate back to what you graduate with so that you won't waste your tuition/time/diploma.

Lastly as someone said before, sometimes it suks after you turn your hobby into your career. For example, I love doing DIYs on my car by myself or with a friend of mine, the excitement and the thrill of completing a DIY is indescribable. But if i were to take that hobby and turn it into a career, i know i would hate it sooner or later.

And be persistent in what you have passion in. My dad said the career i am into suked shit and i will never accomplish my goals in life, and i told him i will prove it to him.....but so far no luck still jobless hahaha.....so good luck to you OP~!!
dimdiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #18
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
i'm in school right now for the auto tech program at BCIT and i was like you unsure if i should get into the career because of the negatives i've heard about being a mechanic. i'm trying it out right now to see if i like it in the end and if i don't, i'll just go back to school and find another career i might be interested in
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #19

I'm at vcc for auto body right now because i enjoy working on cars. But what i soon realized is my attitude towards cars is not good enough. I've always kind of worked on my own cars with the mentalilty of "oh thats good enough" or "fuck it" , but when you actually working on peoples cars thats not good enough.

The repairs have to be invisible and with my limited concentration lol, I'm having trouble reaching those standards! I'm working on it though, and yes it takes a lot a toll on your body. My back cracks so loud when i get home and it feels sooo good lol.
lowda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #20
HELP ME PLS!!!

^ yea i hate those jobs when it has second opions or standards. One can say its good enough but the next will say its not up to their standards
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #21

ya for sure, and also i hate when some guy teaches me to do it this way and i do it his way, and then another bodyman comes by and he tells me im doing it wrong. i wish they'd just get off my back unless i ask for help.
lowda9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #22
RS controls my life!

awesome replies. anyone know how long it takes to learn to take apart your own engine/tranny and put it back together at bcit auto tech course?