REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:21 PM   #76
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

The sun run is a joke in that its not serious -- 10k runs are considered "fun runs."

It was the first run I'd ever registered in, and the amount of people wrongly registered in the speed categories was quite laughable. I put myself in the fastest bracket (non-contender), and the first 10 minutes was spent trying to fight past people who were barely speed walking. Eventually, I followed several other people and hopped the barricade and ran on the sidewalk / grass path as though it was a HOV lane.
Advertisement
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #77
My homepage has been set to RS

^^ In continuation..

Frankly...its a waste of money....if you actually even register. If you pay it...its a waste of money. If you wanna just go there and crash the race....why even bother?
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #78
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTG-ZR2 View Post
Whats with all the hate against the Sun Run?

I have not ran it before so just wondering what all the fuss is about.
The Sun Run is great if you're new to running. Once you get somewhat serious and care about your time, then you'll want to participate in events where there's less people.

The swag at the Sun Run blows too. Most major runs will at least include a proper tech-top and some decent post-race food/goodies. You get bagels, a cotton t-shirt, and bananas after the Sun Run.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:50 AM   #79

For me, best swag and food goes to the NB Fall Classic thats held at UBC. Not the most exciting route, but their post race is held indoors with chili, bagels, fruit, cake, granola bars, beverages....and the list goes on. All the shirts they give out are nice...long sleeve technicals, or upgrade for 20 bucks more a technical half-zip thermal or pants.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #80
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Best post race food, for me, is The Longest Day race out at UBC. Held in the summer on a Friday night, it's always perfect weather for a run. Food includes bbq burgers, smokies, in addition to all the regular bananas, oranges, watermelon, honeydew, granola bars, etc. And there's a beer garden too. And door prizes are always good, but I'm bias, because last year I won the trip for 2 to Tofino with a 2 night stay at the Long Beach Lodge.

A lot of the smaller races have awesome home baked goodies and they're really good. The members of the sponsoring run club bake and bring them to the race. And these smaller races always have reasonable entry fees as well. Because they're smaller, it's not as crowded, and you have a better chance at winning a door prize (or actually placing within your age group!).

If you're looking for road or trail races, here's the local race calenders.

http://www.bcathletics.org/eventcal_rr11.htm

http://www.bcathletics.org/eventcal_xc11.htm

and the Lower Mainland Race series:
http://www.lmrrs.com/

5 Peaks trail running series:
http://www.5peaks.com/schedule.asp?p=bc
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by azncreationz View Post
Best post race food, for me, is The Longest Day race out at UBC. Held in the summer on a Friday night, it's always perfect weather for a run. Food includes bbq burgers, smokies, in addition to all the regular bananas, oranges, watermelon, honeydew, granola bars, etc. And there's a beer garden too.

WTF??? Why the hell have i never heard of this??????
Old 03-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #82
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBot View Post
For me, best swag and food goes to the NB Fall Classic thats held at UBC. Not the most exciting route, but their post race is held indoors with chili, bagels, fruit, cake, granola bars, beverages....and the list goes on. All the shirts they give out are nice...long sleeve technicals, or upgrade for 20 bucks more a technical half-zip thermal or pants.
I've always wanted to do the NB classic, even if it's just the 10K. I'll have to keep your post in mind.

The Turkey Trot has pretty good food too - smoked salmon, fresh fruit, wheat muffins, etc.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #83
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Got a question for you long time runners; I've been going every 2-3 days for a 7k run for the past few weeks and my knees started to hurt like crazy after a run yesterday. Feels like the ligaments on the inside of the knee because when i press against it I can feel the pain. Anyone know what the cause of this is? improper alignment/bad technique, or just from the compression of suddenly picking up running regularly? thnx
Old 03-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #84
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
Got a question for you long time runners; I've been going every 2-3 days for a 7k run for the past few weeks and my knees started to hurt like crazy after a run yesterday. Feels like the ligaments on the inside of the knee because when i press against it I can feel the pain. Anyone know what the cause of this is? improper alignment/bad technique, or just from the compression of suddenly picking up running regularly? thnx
Sounds like you got some wear and tear. If you are new to running, 7k runs 2-3 times a week can wear your body down. Maybe take a week off from running and see how you feel.

Do you stretch after running? I have issues like yours all the time and its because I have tight Iliotibial bands from the running and cycling I do. Perhaps you are experiencing the same thing.
c_loke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #85
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_loke View Post
I have issues like yours all the time and its because I have tight Iliotibial bands from the running and cycling I do. Perhaps you are experiencing the same thing.

glucosamine supplements are good for joint pain as well

Quote:
Originally posted by MelonBoy
ya i brush regularly with calgate or crust
SizzleChest is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #86

i dont stretch haha. i knw its horrible!

I started to take glucosamine again after the pain. I was reading up about runner's knee pain. Would cycling or low impact cardio in place of running decrease knee pain?

Mine hurts on the inside, not the outside of the thigh. Is that still the IT band?
Old 03-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #87
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

The inside knee pain could be caused by the tight IT band as it could pull your knee cap out of place which causes the tracking of the joint to be kind of off. Thats what I hear anyways.

I found that with a foam roller and stretching after running, it has made a huge difference for me. The best is to use a foam roller. If you dont have access to one, try googling some stretches and see if that helps.
c_loke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #88
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
i dont stretch haha. i knw its horrible!

I started to take glucosamine again after the pain. I was reading up about runner's knee pain. Would cycling or low impact cardio in place of running decrease knee pain?

Mine hurts on the inside, not the outside of the thigh. Is that still the IT band?
stretching has mixed opinions. i am definitely not all-knowing on the subject, but what i have heard is that stretching pre-exercise only has psychological benefits. stretching post-exercise can be moderately useful for releasing tension. if increasing flexibility is the goal, then 30 seconds minimum per stretch is required.

the IT band is on the outside of the thigh. cycling would probably ease your knee pain, but it depends on exactly what is the cause of the pain. if you want to keep running, i suggest exploring the world of pose or chi running - google it.

Quote:
Originally posted by MelonBoy
ya i brush regularly with calgate or crust
SizzleChest is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2011, 12:07 AM   #89

where can u get a foam roller?
Old 03-04-2011, 12:11 AM   #90

Quote:
http://www.sportmedstore.com/

Lots of stores in Vancouver
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #91

Quote:
Running Room has them too, and you can get fitted for a new pair of shoes. Could be your shoes have worn out and is causing your knee pain.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2011, 07:58 PM   #92
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

With Running Room will they help you determine what kind of runner you are? Just checked their site and I dont know what category I fall into. Cushioning, Stability, or Motion Control. I really want to make an effort this year to do more cardio
teaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:15 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaoh View Post
With Running Room will they help you determine what kind of runner you are? Just checked their site and I dont know what category I fall into. Cushioning, Stability, or Motion Control. I really want to make an effort this year to do more cardio
Yes, they will help you determine which category you fall into, explain the mechanics of it all and suggest a couple of shoes that will suit your feet.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #94

Just in case you guys are interested....me and my friend are hosting a fundraiser tomorrow...this is our main fundraiser prior to the BMO Van Marathon.

This is tomorrow.

I made a post about it here on RS, but here's the shorty of it.
$10, all you can eat pasta, Canucks vs. Sharks, lots of prizes, Legends Pub.

All proceeds to charity.
More details, the facebook page is here with all the prizes:
http://tinyurl.com/showdownfundraiser
Old 04-04-2011, 07:10 PM   #95

How's everyones running coming along? Sun Run, if you're into that, is in a couple weeks...and BMO Vancouver Marathon is coming up quick!
Old 04-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #96

So stoked for the BMO Vancouer Marathon. Hoping to hit 4hrs this time.....

Last year, weighed 208lbs going into it, this year, i should be at 195. Now with my new Asic Kayano 17s!
Old 08-03-2012, 01:12 AM   #97
I STILL don't get it

Bump

Looking for a pair of Nike Dual Fusions. They were the comfiest runners I've ever worn but they were a bit pricey for me so I didn't buy them. Anyone know where I can find them for cheaper or other recommendations for runners? What I loved about them was that they breathed and had great support for my heels.
etodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #98

The Nike Dual Fusions are super comft...but i wouldn't say its good compared of a lot of other runners, if you are looking for a long distance run.

The heel supports might feel great when you're trying them on and walking around in it...however, once you start doing longer runs, the cushioning may be TOO much for your heel supports to handle.

I use the Vomero 6's, which use the same bottom cushioning as the dual fusions, but not the top cushioining...However, because i run a lot, i don't care much of heel supports, so i don't care that the Vomero 6's hardly have any. But they are a very comfy, and airy.

If you want something with a better support...then the Pegasus...i think thats what it is. The NIKE site is fucked up...so i can't remember what it is.

Outside of Nike, a lot of runners like to go with Asics. Personally, i tried the Asics that was recommended for my type of feet....HATED IT. Went back to my Vomeros.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #99

Considering this is 1/3 related....

Is anyone planning to do the Vancouver Triathlon on Sept 3?
Old 08-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #100
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBot View Post
The Nike Dual Fusions are super comft...but i wouldn't say its good compared of a lot of other runners, if you are looking for a long distance run.

The heel supports might feel great when you're trying them on and walking around in it...however, once you start doing longer runs, the cushioning may be TOO much for your heel supports to handle.

I use the Vomero 6's, which use the same bottom cushioning as the dual fusions, but not the top cushioining...However, because i run a lot, i don't care much of heel supports, so i don't care that the Vomero 6's hardly have any. But they are a very comfy, and airy.

If you want something with a better support...then the Pegasus...i think thats what it is. The NIKE site is fucked up...so i can't remember what it is.
How are the Vomero 7's compared to the 6's?
etodac is offline   Reply With Quote