REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Surrey woman dead after being struck by RCMP cruiser

METRO VANCOUVER -- An 18-year-old female pedestrian died in hospital Monday shortly after being struck by a marked Surrey RCMP vehicle.

The accident occurred at 9:40 p.m. on King George Highway near 98th Ave.

“Unfortunately the young woman succumbed to her injuries in hospital a short time later,” said a release from the Abbotsford Police department, which is investigating the incident.

A team of investigators and collision reconstruction experts were on the scene Tuesday.

The RCMP officer who hit the pedestrian is described as having two year’s service.

“A loss of life is a tragedy. We wish to extend our condolences to the family of this young woman,” said Abbotsford Police spokesman Const. Ian MacDonald.

Any witnesses to the accident are asked to contact Abbotsford Police at 604-859-5225.

gbellett@vancouversun.com

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/life/Sur...#ixzz1CpwDG44F

Any idea what happened?
Advertisement
observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
why the hell is abbotsford police involved? the incident isn't in their jurisdiction..
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-02-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,068 Times in 358 Posts
^ maybe surrey police aren't allowed to investigate their own people
roflwaffle604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roflwaffle604 View Post
^ maybe surrey police aren't allowed to investigate their own people
yup.
Abby police have been chosen to do many of the RCMP based investigations.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
RIP
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

The officer could have been tapping away on his computer or on his cell phone. Afterall, it is LEGAL for members to do so while operating a motor vehicle.

Quote:
SURREY — The Surrey Mountie involved in a fatal collision in Whalley Monday night was not headed to a dispatched call nor did he have his emergency sirens or lights on when he ran into an 18-year-old woman on King George Boulevard, preliminary findings of a police investigation suggest.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/didn+have...#ixzz1Cq8L02FE

RIP.
adambomb is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #7
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Well lets not get over our heads here. I read news reports as well that she didn't use a crosswalk and if it was dark and she was wearing dark clothes i can see this happening.

And she crossed King George Highway which is always a busy road.
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-02-2011, 12:42 PM   #8

municipal police agencies will often investigate other agencies, RCMP or municipal, rather than the own agency investigating themselves.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #9
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
That section is a gnarly stretch of road. We're talking 8 lanes of Surrey driving monkeys, many of them high, partially retarded, or both.

Poor girl. What a horrible way to go.
She must have been really messed, since it's literally a block from the Hospital.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
Well lets not get over our heads here. I read news reports as well that she didn't use a crosswalk and if it was dark and she was wearing dark clothes i can see this happening.

yes she was jay walking across six lanes of traffic. Although it was sad what happened to the girl, but I think this could have happened to anyone. It was just an accident, but I hate how the media doesn't portray it in that way and kind of points blame towards the RCMP and police in general anyway they can.
ray666 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
I'll be good I promise.

Thanked 1,551 Times in 329 Posts
He's gonna get suspended....... with pay.
Kim Jong Un is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2011, 01:05 PM   #12
Da Vinci's real masterpiece: The Mona Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwen View Post
He's gonna get suspended....... with pay.
I would wait until we get the complete story before we make any snap judgments on what had happened here.
Jsunu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #13
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray666 View Post
yes she was jay walking across six lanes of traffic. Although it was sad what happened to the girl, but I think this could have happened to anyone. It was just an accident, but I hate how the media doesn't portray it in that way and kind of points blame towards the RCMP and police in general anyway they can.
+1 she was jay walking and got struck, it could have been anybody hitting her, just because its an RCMP officer there's a huge investigation going on...
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #14
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
wow 18 yr old. RIP.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:57 PM   #15
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
+1 she was jay walking and got struck, it could have been anybody hitting her, just because its an RCMP officer there's a huge investigation going on...
This is an accident that claimed a human life. There would be an investigation regardless of who was driving.
bengy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2011, 02:10 PM   #16
they call me the snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengy View Post
This is an accident that claimed a human life. There would be an investigation regardless of who was driving.
Yup45
Old 02-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #17
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,984 Times in 1,689 Posts
RIP... waiting for more info...
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

if it was a wreckless driver who killed her, all of you would be calling him a stupid jackass by now. However, because it's so played out to say anything negative about the police these days, suddenly it's the chick's fault. Fact is, you're right - could've happened to anyone and I don't think the police officer is more at fault than if he was a regular person. However, when you hit and kill someone, most of the time it can be prevented - it's very rare that the circumstance is such that you just can't miss the pedestrian - even if they jumped out in front of you. So yeah, fuck the media, they'll spin anything - but at the end of the day, it's someone who's job it is to save lives taking them. Way shittier and more tragic than if he was a regular driver imo...
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #19
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
You guys have to know that area. Its not exactly the best location. Its got a blind corner set at the top of a hill, less than optimal lighting, and is the intersection of two high traffic streets. Any number of factors could've led to this horrible accident so lets see what the investigation determines.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:05 PM   #20
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Saw this on the news the other day the girl was jay-walking and Abby police said there's a polices version of a "black box" on the cruisers so they're going to check if the officer was speeding.

Also when the reporters were at the scene a lot of people were jay walking at that intersection supposedly everyone does to get to and from the skytrain station; according to the reporters the nearest crosswalk/walkway isn't for a couple blocks
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray666 View Post
and another darwin award goes out

Quote:
Originally posted by Marco911
Must be funny when he sees his psychiatrist for treatment of his delusions of grandeur.

Hyde: "See my black Ferrari parked in the handicapped spot outside your office"
Doctor: "Where? All I see is a Yaris."
Hyde: "It's a Ferrari dammit! LoL! Yaris!?"
Doctor: " I'd appreciate if you didn't park in the handicap spots."
Hyde: "LOL! The ticket is only like $500 bucks. In fact, my dad's factory makes the handicapped street signs. If you look closely at vegetable in the wheelchair, it's really a picture of me when I was born."
Doctor: "Here, come a little closer you won't feel this at all."<Injects 20cc of Haloperidol>
Hyde: "I feel woozy...hey, what did you do to my Ferrari? That's a real piece of shit parked in my spot."
Doctor: "Welcome to reality."
Guy_LikeWhoa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-02-2011, 05:36 PM   #22
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Saw this on the news the other day the girl was jay-walking and Abby police said there's a polices version of a "black box" on the cruisers so they're going to check if the officer was speeding.

Also when the reporters were at the scene a lot of people were jay walking at that intersection supposedly everyone does to get to and from the skytrain station; according to the reporters the nearest crosswalk/walkway isn't for a couple blocks
If the girl was jaywalking where everyone else chooses to jaywalk going to and from the skytrain(from wat i see everyday driving on that road) then its about 7-8 lanes she was tryin to cross.

Imo it should always be the jaywalkers fault for this kinda thing. Ive been saying this for years, why do people think there invincible against a 3000lbs automobile. Its tragic that someone had to die but hopefully it'll be a lesson to jaywalkers and pedestrians everywhere. That its not always the vehicles responsibility to see whats on the road, its everyones responsibility.
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:10 PM   #23
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Update (from the police): For the record, SHE ran into the COP... with a knife. So it was self-defense in a way too.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-02-2011, 08:19 PM   #24
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,121 Times in 669 Posts
^Wtf?

RIP
xilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #25
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,212 Times in 188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS View Post
If the girl was jaywalking where everyone else chooses to jaywalk going to and from the skytrain(from wat i see everyday driving on that road) then its about 7-8 lanes she was tryin to cross.

Imo it should always be the jaywalkers fault for this kinda thing. Ive been saying this for years, why do people think there invincible against a 3000lbs automobile. Its tragic that someone had to die but hopefully it'll be a lesson to jaywalkers and pedestrians everywhere. That its not always the vehicles responsibility to see whats on the road, its everyones responsibility.

Agree.. they should extend that fence on the center median all the way to the other traffic lights. Tons of people are always darting across the street there to and from the skytrain. I've had to slam on my brakes a few times
smaggs is offline   Reply With Quote