REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Tien SS Coilovers - Loose Spring.. faulty? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/636840-tien-ss-coilovers-loose-spring-faulty.html)

Nintensity 02-03-2011 09:12 PM

Tien SS Coilovers - Loose Spring.. faulty?

*typo: TEIN SS Coilovers

Hey guys, I got myself a set of used Tein SS Coilovers, practically brand new condition,

however i notice that on one coilover has a loose spring, all the other ones seem stiff and attached to the hardware except for one, which happened to come off.

question: can it easily be fixed?
I have attached a video and hopefully some of you guys can help me out on this. Thanks!

Qmx323 02-03-2011 09:18 PM

Well if it says Tien on the box instead of Tein...

:troll:

Nintensity 02-03-2011 09:22 PM

LOL, sorry i mean Tein. sorry for the confusion.

jing 02-03-2011 09:38 PM

Kinda hard to tell what's going on since I watched your vid on my phone but if the springs are loose then u need to tighten up the locking collars. I'd highly recommend resetting the preload too esp since one of those springs are loose and u probably don't know how much preload is on the other 3
Posted via RS Mobile

!Aznboi128 02-03-2011 09:40 PM

that's normal once on the car it'll settle right on

blacK20 02-03-2011 09:44 PM

Hard to tell from the video. Compare it to the other side coilover of the same end. From the looks of it, the spring that 'appears' to be tight should come loose as well if you give it a knock. That's due to this type of coilover not having a seperate preload collar.

Nintensity 02-03-2011 09:56 PM

Basically, the coilover isn't attached to the bottom like what it's supposed to.

If you watch my video, I give the other coilovers a shake. stiff as a board.

then i go over to :45 seconds in the video, and you can see how it's not attached to the coilovers, just loose.

but ji...... aznboi, (HAHA), i'll keep your word on it....

baggdis300 02-03-2011 09:57 PM

yeah, thats normal man just adjust the preload like they said above..

once theres a couple thousand pounds on it they will NOT move haha

!SG 02-03-2011 10:17 PM

look at the base of the other 3 coilovers. the lower perch where the spring sits has been adjusted midway up the threads, while the one u question is on its very very lowest perch setting. that is why it is loose.

the spring is under no load at the moment and thus should be able to move up and down freely,

there is a little rubber sleeve which sits between the lower colar perch, and the spring, its more or less an anti squeeling sleeve. that may be what u think is causing the other 3 springs to be attached to the colars cuz its most likely just wedged in there at the moment.

billboa 02-04-2011 01:33 AM

shoulda got the drift specs

supman7 02-04-2011 07:03 AM

looks like the damper has pretty long stroke, once it's installed and loaded it'll be fine but if the perches are maxed out at the bottom it's going to sit really low.

edit, i watched the video again, and yes your spring perch maxed out at the bottom. Adjust them halfway before you install them and load them because you're basically running out of stroke since it's so low. I don't think your tien ss dampers are able rotate on the bottom mounts, so you can't adjust height without changing stroke.

baggdis300 02-04-2011 08:38 AM

^^

hes 100% correct.

so if your wanting to be hella flush/slammed these wont be the best for that application due to there being no height only adjustment.

your messing with the stroke/spring rates

godwin 02-04-2011 03:38 PM

Take the who set to a shop with a spring dynanometer?

E-40six 02-04-2011 03:49 PM

your coilovers are perfectly fine

The 4th spring is not preloaded, what you want to do is grab a coilover wrench and twist the height adjustment spring perch till it compresses the spring once you do that you're all gravy