REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   custom shirts in Vancouver (https://www.revscene.net/forums/637203-custom-shirts-vancouver.html)

nano 02-08-2011 07:31 PM

custom shirts in Vancouver

Hi guys, I need some new dress shirts and off the rack ones don't seem to fit me right (even the slim fit ones from mexx, zara or h&m)...anyways I dont want to be spending too much on shirts so I dont need ones from holt renfrew but does anyone know a good place that custom makes shirts for a resonable price?

I tried indochino before but it didn't come out perfect and had to take it in for alterations...

Majestic12 02-09-2011 12:11 AM

My first instinct is that if you don't want to spend Holt prices, you won't be able to find a proper tailored shirt that fits well and isn't made from terrible cloth... but I could be wrong.

Razor Ramon HG 02-09-2011 12:46 AM

Just curious, which part of the shirts don't fit you?

Tapioca 02-09-2011 02:24 PM

I share the OP's problem with shirts from places like Banana Republic which do not carry more specific sizes. I'm in-between a medium and a large: mediums fit a little snug in the shoulders, and larges fit too large in the torso and sleeves.

I don't know of any reputable shirt-makers around town, so it boils down to a few choices:

1. Head to a store like the Bay downtown that carries a decent selection of shirts with proper sizing (collar and sleeve length). No, you won't get the trendiest fabrics and you won't get a slim fit, but at least the shirts will fit where it matters most - the neck and in the shoulders.
2. Continue to buy shirts at BR, Zara, etc, buy one size larger, and then get them altered. No, you won't get the original stitching, but at least they will fit and you will get your fashion fix.
3. Spend the money and buy fashion forward shirts that fit at Harry Rosen, etc.... or go to the States, find a place like Nordstrom Rack, and buy name-brand shirts for half the price.

P.S. The next time you're in Asia, stop over in Hong Kong and hit up Jantzen Tailor.

PJ 02-09-2011 02:44 PM

There's a quite a few places on Main and 23rd ish? that make custom shirts.. no idea of the pricing, just walked by a few times.

I think you're better off getting shirts altered rather than having a complete custom shirt..

nano 02-09-2011 05:56 PM

thanks for all the tips guys!

yeah I might just get them altered if its cheaper to go that route...I was just hoping to find a local place that is around indochinos price for a custom made shirt (around $100)...since most shirts are around $60-80 anyways I wouldnt mind spending a few bucks more for a perfect fit....but I guess i'll try out alterations first.

Usually with the shirts I look for, they are always slim fits and the shoulder fits good but its usually the sleeves are too long and also too baggy, I know its possible to shorten the sleeves but can they also alter the sleeves so its not baggy and more fitted to my arm?

Wongtouski 02-09-2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nano (Post 7299218)
Usually with the shirts I look for, they are always slim fits and the shoulder fits good but its usually the sleeves are too long and also too baggy, I know its possible to shorten the sleeves but can they also alter the sleeves so its not baggy and more fitted to my arm?

Yes, that is possible.

Farfetched 02-10-2011 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nano (Post 7299218)
thanks for all the tips guys!

yeah I might just get them altered if its cheaper to go that route...I was just hoping to find a local place that is around indochinos price for a custom made shirt (around $100)...since most shirts are around $60-80 anyways I wouldnt mind spending a few bucks more for a perfect fit....but I guess i'll try out alterations first.

Somewhat possible. Keep in mind that it's harder to make changes to the armhole.

If you are going the mtm route, the fit of the first shirt is usually going to be just ok - but usually still better than otr. It typically takes 1 or 2 more tries to get things just right.

JLC 02-27-2011 07:49 PM

Maxwell comes to Vancouver every 6 months or so.
They do custom made to measure shirts.

http://www.maxwellsclothiers.com/

They usually have a room at hotels around the city booked out for you to go in, they'll take all your measurements and send you off to check out the books of fabric they have for shirts (they also do custom coats, suits, have ties and cufflinks), pick what you want and they get mailed to you a couple months later.

Works out to around $60-$65 taxes/duties included and shipped to your door.

The last time I ordered from them instead of having them shipped I picked them up in person in Hong Kong...that saved me about $15 per shirt for shipping/taxes/duties. Not a huge amount if you're only buying a few shirts, but I bought like 9 shirts so it was about a $135 savings.

Anyways, at these prices, wear the shit out of them for a year, maybe 2...and get some new ones!

Spidey 07-13-2011 09:07 AM

get the size that fits properly at the shoulders and neck frm the bay or a big dfept store where you can get decent brands like kenneth cole jones new york etc on sale... So you will be spending roughly 40-50 bucks a shirt.. get the sides taken in for abotu 20-30 (depending where you go) and you will have a shirt that si customized to your body for under 100 a piece. I got 2 dres sshirts from tip top in richmond when they had their closeout sale.. each shirt cost me 5 bucks! paid 25 or so for each to be altered. they fit PERFECT. usually mexx's slim fit fits me in their small.. I like my dres sshirts to be a bit snug so Mexx is usually great for me. Wouldn't pay regular price for Mexx stuff though.

I have heard good things about maxwellclothier's and you can't really go wrong with their pricing.