REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Any reputable chinese restaurants in Richmond that takes card (https://www.revscene.net/forums/637258-any-reputable-chinese-restaurants-richmond-takes-card.html)

bigrig 02-13-2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king_2011 (Post 7302356)
how u know? u got scammed?

yes i have been scammed and all my friends who have been there have as well, right after using that machine

dangonay 02-13-2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death2Theft (Post 7303592)
Using card for food, especially in richmond is a great way to get your card duplicated and scammed.

If I see a restaurant that only accepts cash I refuse to eat there. Why would any reputable business NOT accept multiple forms of payment? It's a fact in retail that accepting plastic (especially credit cards) increases spending. It's easy to give in and splurge on a more expensive meal (item) if you have room on your Visa. Numbers I've seen indicate that consumers using plastic spend 10-18% more on average per transaction.

The way I see it is this: if you don't take plastic you're either laundering money (doing creative accounting) or the owners couldn't qualify to get a POS machine (bank didn't like their references). Or maybe they lost their right to accept cards due to shoddy practices. Whatever the reason, they're not getting my money.

As to getting your card swiped, just get a "junk" card. I have one credit card I use exclusively for online and purchases in potentially "risky" situations (like giving your card to a waiter who has a chance to swipe it on the way to the till). It has a $500 limit so if some asshole copies it they're getting dick for their efforts. Besides, you're not liable for charges if your card gets duplicated anyway.

CRS 02-13-2011 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dangonay (Post 7304197)
If I see a restaurant that only accepts cash I refuse to eat there. Why would any reputable business NOT accept multiple forms of payment? It's a fact in retail that accepting plastic (especially credit cards) increases spending. It's easy to give in and splurge on a more expensive meal (item) if you have room on your Visa. Numbers I've seen indicate that consumers using plastic spend 10-18% more on average per transaction.

The way I see it is this: if you don't take plastic you're either laundering money (doing creative accounting) or the owners couldn't qualify to get a POS machine (bank didn't like their references). Or maybe they lost their right to accept cards due to shoddy practices. Whatever the reason, they're not getting my money.

As to getting your card swiped, just get a "junk" card. I have one credit card I use exclusively for online and purchases in potentially "risky" situations (like giving your card to a waiter who has a chance to swipe it on the way to the till). It has a $500 limit so if some asshole copies it they're getting dick for their efforts. Besides, you're not liable for charges if your card gets duplicated anyway.

Other than the reasons you have listed, another key and probably a dominant reason why many places/restaurants don't accept credit cards is because of what the credit card company charges for its use. Having some percentage of the total bill getting cut can and will hurt the restaurants bottom line. So I can see why places choose not to accept credits other than the reasons you have listed.

jackmeister 02-14-2011 12:08 AM

Quote:

Do you work at a place that takes Visa/MC/AE etc?

Being reputable and being profitable are two different things. Lots of restaurants (especially Asian ones) survive on penny pinching and cut throat prices. These low-to-mid priced restaurants can't afford the 1.5-3% + POS terminal rental fee. As well, like any other business, they would be susceptible to credit card fraud and would be ultimately responsible for the financial penalty. Taking cash, on the other hand, guarantees immediate payment.

While cash only does create a nuisance for some, its very unlikely someone would walk into a restaurant without any cash on them.

goo3 02-14-2011 12:55 AM

Quote:

If I see a restaurant that only accepts cash I refuse to eat there. Why would any reputable business NOT accept multiple forms of payment?

Large bowl pho - $7

In the UK, even burger king doesn't take CC

RevRav 02-14-2011 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackmeister (Post 7304538)
Do you work at a place that takes Visa/MC/AE etc?
These low-to-mid priced restaurants can't afford the 1.5-3% + POS terminal rental fee. .

Not to mention, think it's around for 5% for AE now a days.

snowball 02-14-2011 02:45 AM

Never heard of hakkasan, gonna go try it now lol

dangonay 02-14-2011 12:03 PM

The 1.5-3% credit card fee is more than offset by the 10% or more increase in spending when people use cards. They can also do what many stores do and give a 3% discount if you pay with cash.

Besides, I've seen some very successful and busy restaurants that only take cash, so I don't buy the credit card fee as an excuse.
Posted via RS Mobile