REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-22-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Considering an E38...

I know most people here like Japanese cars, but I am just looking for other non-BMW enthusiast opinions on these. I do not have a specific one in mind, but it will most likely be one with the Cold Weather package. Is it a decent car? What am I looking at in terms of maintenance? 2 grand/year? More? Less?

All I've seen online is that it seems to be a reliable car with pretty decent mpg for a 4.4L V8. What do you guys think?

Also, I will likely not mod it. Maybe, maybe tint it. I'd be looking at a 740i, not an iL.
Advertisement
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
I know most people here like Japanese cars
how did you get that impression lol

i love many cars...euro, JDM and some USDM as well

back to OP, have you considered the e39? (5 series)
busdriverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
I know most people here like Japanese cars, but I am just looking for other non-BMW enthusiast opinions on these. I do not have a specific one in mind, but it will most likely be one with the Cold Weather package. Is it a decent car? What am I looking at in terms of maintenance? 2 grand/year? More? Less?

All I've seen online is that it seems to be a reliable car with pretty decent mpg for a 4.4L V8. What do you guys think?

Also, I will likely not mod it. Maybe, maybe tint it. I'd be looking at a 740i, not an iL.
its a beautiful car, but you got to remember that this is the flagship of bmw. Things will be pricey. IL or not, its the same. This is a luxury car, with a luxary price tag, with expensive parts.

Things to look out for:
suspension (like most bmws... look at condition of balljoints, control arm bushings, rear subframe bushings, engine/tranny mounts, shock absorbers, etc.)

for the engine, the m62 4.4L is a great engine. It does have a few cons though to look for:

-valley pan(the cover ontop of the cooling channel in the middle of the engine). I have done this on my 5 series. Its not a fairly difficult job, but its annoying, and the dealership or any shop will charge you a fortune for it. if theres any smell or loss of coolant, its possibly from the gasket failing on the valley pan.
-intake leaks - i have a friend with a 2001 740i sport with an intake leak. I guess they are somewhat common, sort of pricey, and can cause the car to be a little shakey.
-microfilters- the car has 4 microfilters! two on the hood of the car, appart of the insulation, and two somewhere in the interior that i've heard is a real PITA to replace.

-transmission - i think its a "lifetime fluid" in it. I suggest getting the lowest mileage example money can buy, and getting the transmission a complete pressurized flush if you want it to last a long time.

I tell most people that are thinking about buying a bmw to realize the bmw costs of ownership. Call local shops, or look at parts on line. Look at simple stuff like brake pads, and rotors. Oil changes on this car cost over $120 easy.

None the less, its a great car. Just giving a heads up that it might be pricey. I've all ready spent more than what i bought my 5 series for on it just for maintenance, and its still not done. I have $2000 worth of parts in my bedroom right now awaiting a steering system overhaul. These are expensive cars for some, and some are lucky to just just do nothing but oil changes.

1995 BMW 530i
1990 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2002 Ford Explorer EB V8 4x4
2005 Acura RSX Type-S (SOLD)
1999 BMW 540i
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
^ that
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
one of the guys here rock one of those actually. his name has toyota on it.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,507 Times in 4,310 Posts
toyota86

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I've always lusted over a 2001 740i Sport.. There's a few 740i sports with a 6spd tranny conversion from a 540i on bimmerforums..

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #8
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I had an E39 M5 -- great car! What is an E38?
2000 Acura Integra Type R #858 -- original owner
2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Phat_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #9
Old School RS

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,205 Posts
E38 is the 7 series.

I will +1 on the recommendation to get an E39, there are a lot more of them around so parts are a bit easier to find, particularly in the junkyard, etc. and they are beautiful cars and share a lot of the "feel" with the 7er...

Mark
Old 02-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #10
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
What makes you look at the e38 over the e39?
e39 M5s are fairly reliable for being 10 year old cars and they've also come down in price. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better balance of comfort, cost, power and reliability for the price of an e39 M5. (As long as you have a tree that gives free gas)

I'm not biased at all.. i don't know what you're talking about.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

i got one. 01 740i sport. if you are serious about getting one, always look for a late 2001. for the e38, the newer the better. bmw make updates every year, 01 is your best bet for reliability. easiest way to tell if found a late 01 is to see if the car has a big screen nav. if it does and its original, you're golden. find one with a sport pack too. sports suspension, shadow line (chrome delete), sport seats, 3.15 diff instead of 2.93, high stall torque converter, m-parallel wheels, etc. and, i think all Canadian cars come with cold weather package. if it has heated steering wheel, heated seats for not just front but the rear as well, it should be equipped with cold weather pack.

receipts, receipts, receipts. can't stress that enough. if the car comes with records and lots of it, you should be good. if not, get it checked out by someone who knows these cars. bcaa wont cut it. e38 are very reliable cars if they are maintained. some parts that you would normally expect to last forever on japanese cars are considered maintenance items on bmw. its just the way it is. deal with it. e38 e39 i think are one of the last bmw you could work on yourself without much hassle. nothing really impossible to do and most of it is pretty straight forward.

if you find a nicely maintained one you shouldn't need to spend 2k a year. just remember to save some money aside for every 100,000km for a 4-5k maintenance. im talking about parts only. will be significantly more if you take it to a shop. some weak points of 740i. suspension bushings, cooling system, vacuum leaks, certain plastic bits, pcv system, transmissions, etc

fuel economy. well for one, the 3.15 in mine doesn't help. 740i are pretty good for highway driving. gets about 9-10L/100km. pure city with congestion, its like 18-19L/100km. i average 15-16 mixed. if im really careful, i can get it down to 13-14 mixed.

e38 are great cars but you really have to get into the mind set that you are driving a +100k when it was new and the maintenance will reflect that. it won't be your average corolla. also, if you end up not picking the e38 740i, i would suggest you look at a 03 530i m-sports pack in 5 spd manual. those are much more reliable and toss-able around a corner.

Last edited by toyota86; 02-23-2011 at 11:02 AM.
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #12
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
some parts that you would normally expect to last forever on japanese cars are considered maintenance items on bmw. its just the way it is. deal with it.
^This.

Consider it a "fee" for driving a luxury german car.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:33 PM   #13
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

I have a e39 540i. The snowstorm today on the island finally make me decided to sell it. If you are serious and have cash in hand, pm me.

- Each oil change take 8L 0-40w, with a oem filter, the cheapest you can get it done is $100.

- 9L/100 on highway, 14L/100 in city, and it drinks 91+. So it is more expensive to run than others.

- The Brakes are $1000 incl. labor at all 4, oem, not too bad for a heavy and very well build car, imo.

- The tranny flush and diff oil change, cost only $300 incl. labor, will last another 100k.

- It will eat up a set of pilot sport A/S+ every 50000km as I don't do rotation as bmw recommended. Drive between Victoria and Calgary at least 4 times a year.

- LOVE this car on highway. Endless torque, comfy yet nice feedback, always a joy to drive it through the Rockies.

- Most e39/38 will miss a few pixel on the dash. Can be fixed for $500+shipping if it bothers you.

- Get a peake code reader, it will save you money. 5 min to change a pair of o2, under $100@ oem.

- Change the cooling system, just in case, never want to break down and tow to nearest bmw dealer $$$.

- The rear window regulators will break. Cost $20-$500, depends on how it broke.

- Check the fluids regularly. The P/S hose ends may leak. My V8 use 0.5L per 5000km. The cooling system always the weakest link.

Great car IMO. The M62 is one of the best engine. It needs routine maintenance, can't cheap out like most other Japanese cars.
OBgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #14
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
What makes you look at the e38 over the e39?
e39 M5s are fairly reliable for being 10 year old cars and they've also come down in price. I think you'll be hard pressed to find a better balance of comfort, cost, power and reliability for the price of an e39 M5. (As long as you have a tree that gives free gas)

I'm not biased at all.. i don't know what you're talking about.
+1.

I went from strictly Japanese cars (Toyota) to BMW. freakshow summed it up well and I will agree with him 110% of the way. I bought an E30 325i two years ago. The car was quite reliable, save for the troubleshooting nightmare I had to encounter (my own fault.) I've moved on to another BMW which has a track record of excellent reliability and parts availability.

The E30, E34, E36, and E39 platforms will be around for quite some time. The E30, as an example, has been discontinued for quite a long time already but has a solid foundation of enthusiasts and racing programs dedicated to the chassis in itself.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 02-23-2011, 07:26 PM   #15
I am on the internets

With any 7 series, as well as any M car, the service records are as important as the car having a transmission, or an engine.

You have to make sure that the car you are looking for has service records from day 1 - those cars will usually cost more than the 5-8k craiglist whores. The reason for that is for a vehicle that is bombarded with technology and sensors and all that other gubbins, owners must do maintenance and recall (if any) service on the dime. German cars, are very finicky, maintenance must be done on time or a few days earlier. This is all still implying flagships and high performance models. (allright and i guess all other BMWs)

Secondly, the car is old. You have to expect things to fail. If they do, it will not be cheap. Parts and labor are quite expensive. And if you do not take your 7 or M to an authorized BMW technician... expect thousands of dollars of repairs further down the road. There are a few independent shops which employ BMW trained techs, yet do not charge $140/hour labor. These people have had to pass rigorous tests and memorize these cars inside and out and they will be the most qualified to work on your 7 or M vehicle.

E38s are great, one day i plan to own one. I'm buying an E39 5er in a few weeks cause i love the body style, I cant really afford a 7, cause the one i want is 14000. But its proper, its got one owner, its got a bible of maintenance records. Its impeccable. Sure there's a juicy 740i on CL right now for 5k. My 5 series will cost me much more than that. But no thanks, that 7 is a bag full of surprises.

Good luck, make a wise decision and make sure to get every BMW inspected at the BMW dealer or an independent shop that employs BMW factory trained techs (i.e. CG Motorsports).
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:30 PM   #16

Any recommendations on shops for maintenance or mechanics to inspect?

I would not get a newer M5. If I were to get one, I'd get a early 1995 M5. Not too much of a fan of any M5 afterward. However, that would likely entail insane maintenance, and my spouse would likely kill me in my sleep for buying that.

What about price wise? $12k for a very nice condition one? More? Less?
Old 02-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #17
RS Veteran

Quote:
Any recommendations on shops for maintenance or mechanics to inspect?
Several reputable shops which specialize and/or have extensive experience with BMW off the top of my head:

Nixon Automotive - Burnaby
CG Motorsports - Richmond
MB Euro - Vancouver
The Euro Shop - Surrey
German Auto Sports - Surrey

Old 02-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #18
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

+1 on German Auto Sports

When I am thinking about it, an older bimmers aren't that expensive to run.

- A loaded econbox is ~$30k, with $10k down, 0% 60mths, monthly payment is ~$350. (annual $4000)

- A 10 yrs old e38/e39 is ~$10k, same as the down payment. Annual cost is $500-3000. (fluids change vs. complete cooling / suspension redone, every year...)

After 5 years (80,000km),
- Econbox worths $10k, loss $20k.
- BMW worths $0-5k, (500,3k *5 +10k -0), loss $12k - $25k

7L/100km vs 15L/100km -> 80k = 6400L ~ $1.5/L = $10,000 gas bill diff next 5yrs.

----------------
So, a 4.4L e38/39, will cost $2000 to $35000 more to run than an Econbox serviced @ discount chain stores for the next 5 years.
(on average, you won't pay more than $10 a day to drive a 540/740i, unless you autoX the hell out of it.)

An Econbox will give you peace of mind (warranty) and great fuel mileage.
A V8 BMW will give you 10-way power heated leather seats, heated steering wheel, 300hp / 300lb.ft, RWD, sh1t eating grin everyday.
OBgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:32 PM   #19
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

You can always compromise slightly by getting a 02/03 530i with the M sport pkg.

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:54 PM   #20
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,490 Times in 570 Posts
Beautiful cars that drive as nice as they look.
Cost of ownership is high, remember these were 100k cars when new. Although it gets cheaper by the year to buy one it doesn't get cheaper by the year to maintain one.
So like suggested above low mileage highly maintained is the way to buy. CG Motorsports in Richmond is a good BMW specific place to have one looked over.

11938 95a Ave Delta
I can be reached VIA text @ 778-232-1465

Oil change special $70 5 liters synthetic oil including OEM filter Fender rolling from $45 per fender
Car Audio:
Focal, Morel, Genesis, Clarion, Scosche, Escort, Compustar, GReddy, Blitz, Tomei, Motul, Endless, Defi, Cusco, Nismo + More

We specialize in:
Custom Car Audio
Race/4x4 Fabrication
Forced Induction
Engine Swaps
General Maintenance
Phil@rise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #21
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBgeezer View Post
+1 on German Auto Sports

When I am thinking about it, an older bimmers aren't that expensive to run.

- A loaded econbox is ~$30k, with $10k down, 0% 60mths, monthly payment is ~$350. (annual $4000)

- A 10 yrs old e38/e39 is ~$10k, same as the down payment. Annual cost is $500-3000. (fluids change vs. complete cooling / suspension redone, every year...)

After 5 years (80,000km),
- Econbox worths $10k, loss $20k.
- BMW worths $0-5k, (500,3k *5 +10k -0), loss $12k - $25k

7L/100km vs 15L/100km -> 80k = 6400L ~ $1.5/L = $10,000 gas bill diff next 5yrs.

----------------
So, a 4.4L e38/39, will cost $2000 to $35000 more to run than an Econbox serviced @ discount chain stores for the next 5 years.
(on average, you won't pay more than $10 a day to drive a 540/740i, unless you autoX the hell out of it.)

An Econbox will give you peace of mind (warranty) and great fuel mileage.
A V8 BMW will give you 10-way power heated leather seats, heated steering wheel, 300hp / 300lb.ft, RWD, sh1t eating grin everyday.
That's a pretty fail calculation.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #22

What's considered low mileage on these things? 100k?

What about mechanics to do a full, no-bullshit inspection?

Lastly, what should I expect to pay for a well cared for E38?
Old 02-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #23
RS Veteran

Always, Always, Always take a car in for a pre-purchase inspection. Take it to any of the shops I mentioned above or a BMW dealership.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:39 AM   #24
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

go e39.... amazing car, surprisingly reliable, handles great. Its a no brainer..

I personally love the look of the e38, but something is lost when you go to a slightly bigger car.

even a 01+ 530i. try to get a manual sport.... great trade of between performance, reliability and fuel economy.
5ive0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #25
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx View Post
With any 7 series, as well as any M car, the service records are as important as the car having a transmission, or an engine.
Why can't this apply to all cars and not just 7 series and M cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx
You have to make sure that the car you are looking for has service records from day 1 - those cars will usually cost more than the 5-8k craiglist whores.
Yeah. Sure. Okay.

Quote:
The reason for that is for a vehicle that is bombarded with technology and sensors and all that other gubbins, owners must do maintenance and recall (if any) service on the dime. German cars, are very finicky, maintenance must be done on time or a few days earlier. This is all still implying flagships and high performance models. (allright and i guess all other BMWs)
LOL! So what happens if its not done on time? Will the motor explode into smitherines because the VANOS simply couldn't handle 0.875km over the oil inspection service light warning?

Quote:
Secondly, the car is old. You have to expect things to fail. If they do, it will not be cheap. Parts and labor are quite expensive. And if you do not take your 7 or M to an authorized BMW technician... expect thousands of dollars of repairs further down the road.
Poppycock. Lot's of non-dealers who can do the work. They aren't F1 engineered, you know.

Quote:
There are a few independent shops which employ BMW trained techs, yet do not charge $140/hour labor. These people have had to pass rigorous tests and memorize these cars inside and out and they will be the most qualified to work on your 7 or M vehicle.
Right. I like your style of fear mongering.

Quote:
Good luck, make a wise decision and make sure to get every BMW inspected at the BMW dealer or an independent shop that employs BMW factory trained techs (i.e. CG Motorsports).
Okay there, fanboy. Some nice subtle side promotion going on there.
sean_wong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: