REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Starting new build and needing some advice (https://www.revscene.net/forums/639583-starting-new-build-needing-some-advice.html)

00EKNEWBIE 03-08-2011 11:22 PM

Starting new build and needing some advice

Hey Everyone,

So i just wanted a little bit of feed back from people that know alot more than what i do. So i just sold a 03 Civic Coupe DX-G and im picking up a 00 Civic Si tomorrow and i just have a couple questions!

First is, what is the best size rim to go on a EK civic.... when i first thought about it i wanted to go for 18's but now that ive done some research ive been seeing that 15 and 16 are the best what are your opinion?

Also i will be getting a suspension kit which includes sportline springs, bump stops, dampers and anti roll bars.... but i am also looking at getting a rear lower tie bar as well as a strut bar.... is it normal to get all of those together or are they all doing the same thing? ive heard good things about sway bars but im just curious what your opinion is....

also where can i go to find affordable after market products for my project... any links or locations would be appreciated because i am also wanting to get headers, full cat back exhaust, also what is better cold air intake or short ram?? ive heard the short ram saves you from getting water in the engine...?? if thats true? also if you know where to get a good set of type R front and rear lips... all the help and info would be greatly appreciated.

Very eager to start this project because i've always loved the EK body style and since i was a kid ive always wanted to do this and im actually finally doing this so its gonna be fun....:fullofwin:

kroy546 03-09-2011 12:11 AM

wheel: 15/16 will be good, easier to find used tires too
suspension: koni+any springs, +strut bars will make some difference
aftermarket products: keep an eye on the performance parts section and craigslist
front/rear lips..ebay/used would be your cheapest alternative, can also try our revscene sponsors & check the vendor forum

IMO..drive the car as it is, start putting parts one by one..this way you will be able to tell the diff the parts made..

MindBomber 03-09-2011 12:47 AM

Rims

The EK is a small car, when people put 17s or 18s on them they look a bit funny in my honest opinion, stick with 15s or 16s. With a smaller wheel you save weight and money.

Suspension

Don't buy the eibach lowering kit.

If you want a good set-up then Koni or Tokico hp are both great options depending on your budget. I've heard good things about Sportlines, but I would personally suggest looking into H&R springs.

I've heard nothing but good things about Progress sway bars, the thicker the bar the more resistance it will provide and the more it will reduce body roll. The ride is a bit rougher, but thats a sacrifice most people are willing to make.

Strut bars give a massive improvement on steering, along with SS brake lines I would suggest you place buying one high up on your mod list. Try to get one with solid bars that go straight to the strut mount, instead of flimsy piece of metal attached to the strut mount reaching to a bar.

Parts

There are always tons of parts for sale on revscene and especially Honda exclusive forums, there're also many great deals to be had on craigslist. For lips, ebay is your friend. Don't worry about fitment, they can be molded into shape with a heat gun easily.

SRI or CAI

There won't be a big difference in power either way, so I got a SRI since we live in raincouver. If you do go with a CAI look into the injen hydroshields, those things are legit. Ebay pipe with a K&N filter is my set-up and I couldn't be happier.

Mashimaro 03-09-2011 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00EKNEWBIE (Post 7334894)
Hey Everyone,

So i just wanted a little bit of feed back from people that know alot more than what i do. So i just sold a 03 Civic Coupe DX-G and im picking up a 00 Civic Si tomorrow and i just have a couple questions!

First is, what is the best size rim to go on a EK civic.... when i first thought about it i wanted to go for 18's but now that ive done some research ive been seeing that 15 and 16 are the best what are your opinion?

Also i will be getting a suspension kit which includes sportline springs, bump stops, dampers and anti roll bars.... but i am also looking at getting a rear lower tie bar as well as a strut bar.... is it normal to get all of those together or are they all doing the same thing? ive heard good things about sway bars but im just curious what your opinion is....

also where can i go to find affordable after market products for my project... any links or locations would be appreciated because i am also wanting to get headers, full cat back exhaust, also what is better cold air intake or short ram?? ive heard the short ram saves you from getting water in the engine...?? if thats true? also if you know where to get a good set of type R front and rear lips... all the help and info would be greatly appreciated.

Very eager to start this project because i've always loved the EK body style and since i was a kid ive always wanted to do this and im actually finally doing this so its gonna be fun....:fullofwin:

First if all congrats on your new ride!

If you bought an Si I would say go for 16" wheels as the coupe looks better with the larger wheels.

As for suspension, get some lowering springs and call it a day. Do not buy sway bars unless you have the spring rates to support the larger (rear especially) bar. EK chassis are prone to subframe tear outs with anything larger than a 14mm rear sway bar. Stiff sway bars and soft spring rates are bad for your subframe so consider an ASR subframe brace if you insist on running a rear sway bar for the street.

Depending on your plans for the car either save up for a swap or a turbo kit (or both!). Otherwise an intake and exhaust will probably do for street duty.
Posted via RS Mobile

mbl2 03-09-2011 07:06 AM

I see a lot of Civic guys do this.

Lowering (Springs/shocks probably)
Wheels/tires (Motegi MR7s, cheap but don't buy those)
Rear lower tie bar
C-Pillar bar
Muffler - (Don't get anything with a 4" outlet)

seekerbeta 03-09-2011 09:33 AM

ALARM! get one.. those are #2 on the 2009 Most stolen List.

impulseX 03-09-2011 12:50 PM

but i believe his is just si, not sir?

Glove 03-09-2011 01:04 PM

this guys a troll, ignore

http://vancouvercivics.com/forums/vi...php?tid=102085

00EKNEWBIE 03-10-2011 02:19 PM

im not a troll you idiot.... im asking questions cause i need help and i believe the poeple on here have good opinions!!! fucken loser

00EKNEWBIE 03-11-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mashimaro (Post 7334994)
First if all congrats on your new ride!

If you bought an Si I would say go for 16" wheels as the coupe looks better with the larger wheels.

As for suspension, get some lowering springs and call it a day. Do not buy sway bars unless you have the spring rates to support the larger (rear especially) bar. EK chassis are prone to subframe tear outs with anything larger than a 14mm rear sway bar. Stiff sway bars and soft spring rates are bad for your subframe so consider an ASR subframe brace if you insist on running a rear sway bar for the street.

Depending on your plans for the car either save up for a swap or a turbo kit (or both!). Otherwise an intake and exhaust will probably do for street duty.
Posted via RS Mobile

ok so i've decided to not for the eibach kit.... ive taken your advice and im gonna go for the lowering springs instead.... is the ride bumpy with just lowering springs on stock shocks?? im thinkin of getting lower tie bars for front and back as well as a strut bar up front... would that work good?