REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

Can a rebuilt be worth it?

So today I went to buy this 2005 70000km G35, it's 28g new, this was on sale for 15, haggled it down to 13g, then found out it's a rebuild, I got this experienced driver to drive It, he says no noises, steers straight it's perfect but it has a $13000 collision on it, since then it has droven 20,000 Kms.

So we talked for 40 minutes down to 11 (including all taxes and frees) by saying 10 Or we walk. We walked but is it worth it?

If I were to buy it, can they give me the previous owners name or number? or the body shop it was fixed at so I can verify?
Advertisement

Last edited by kolkim; 03-28-2011 at 04:42 PM.
kolkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
I wouldnt do it, there may not be any problems now, but who knows to what extent or quality it was repaired, and what problems may pop up down the road

also where are you buying it from???
Old 03-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
I wouldnt do it, there may not be any problems now, but who knows to what extent or quality it was repaired, and what problems may pop up down the road

also where are you buying it from???
Courtenay in vancouver island
Old 03-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
This is a good example of why I would never buy a vehicle with a rebuilt title.

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/18...e-vehicle.html
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
if i was buying a $2000 car i wouldn't care if there were water balloons for air bags, what do u expect..

id probably buy a write off if i found

A) Found an incredibly smoking deal

B) The damage was not to the front and and had been repaired professionally

C) I planned to keep/drive the car long term
Old 03-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
This is a good example of why I would never buy a vehicle with a rebuilt title.

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/18...e-vehicle.html
2 grand though... thats like the same price for a '91 civic depending on where you look. I'd imagine the craftsmen ship would be higher of a rebuilt 2001 than an older car. Is it worth the purchase? That depends on what other vehicles is looking at.

However, one thing to note is that if you plan on reselling this down the road the resale value will be virtually non-existent. I think thats a big thing that you want to take into account.

What do you guys think?

edit*
08 si comes with a k20 too, maybe make more money parting it out instead of selling as a whole, lol

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.

Last edited by The_AK; 03-10-2011 at 06:08 PM.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #7
フルコンボ

Thanked 3,931 Times in 583 Posts
$9500 Front end damage..
I mean, for a newer BMW or something, that could just be a new bumper fascia and headlights.
But on a Civic? I wouldn't bother with it.
RCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:01 PM   #8
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,386 Times in 5,085 Posts
I do rebuilds sometimes... but personally I only use OEM parts and I know the bodyshop that does my work... so I feel no issues reselling them and I even show pictures of the damage when I sell... so some people are reputable and you get a freaking good deal on the car........... but I wouldn't trust most of the guys out there. A lot of guys don't even put airbags back into the cars and then they put a resistor in to kill the airbag light. Crappy.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #9
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
This always comes up every few months on RS. The bottom line is

NEVER EVER BUY A REBUILD.

Unless you rebuilt it yourself or your uncle (whom you trust) built it for you.

Think about it: A bodyshop buys a car with a rebuilt status. They proceed to fix it for as little money as possible since they are going to sell it to make money. They're not rebuilding cars to be nice and give people affordable transportation - they're doing it for profit. Which means cutting corners.

This is different from repairing a customer car, as you have to make sure they're satisfied with the work. If it's an ICBC claim then an adjuster is going to look at the car and have to sign off/approve of repairs. Sometimes during a repair, ICBC gets called back as something is discovered that wasn't noticed in the original examination of the vehicle. ICBC will approve of the additional work and adjust the claim as necessary.

ICBC isn't involved in a rebuild. All the shop has to do is repair the car and get a vehicle inspector to sign off and say the car was repaired properly. Chances are 99% that this "so-called inspector" is someone who will "overlook" issues with the car and give it a pass when it shouldn't. It can take awhile for ICBC to discover this (or maybe never discover it if the vehicle doesn't have an accident or issue that would get ICBC's attention). By the time this "inspector" gets caught he's probably passed hundreds of vehicles.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:35 PM   #10
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
This always comes up every few months on RS. The bottom line is

Think about it: A bodyshop buys a car with a rebuilt status. They proceed to fix it for as little money as possible since they are going to sell it to make money. They're not rebuilding cars to be nice and give people affordable transportation - they're doing it for profit. Which means cutting corners.

This is different from repairing a customer car, as you have to make sure they're satisfied with the work. If it's an ICBC claim then an adjuster is going to look at the car and have to sign off/approve of repairs. Sometimes during a repair, ICBC gets called back as something is discovered that wasn't noticed in the original examination of the vehicle. ICBC will approve of the additional work and adjust the claim as necessary.

ICBC isn't involved in a rebuild. All the shop has to do is repair the car and get a vehicle inspector to sign off and say the car was repaired properly. Chances are 99% that this "so-called inspector" is someone who will "overlook" issues with the car and give it a pass when it shouldn't. It can take awhile for ICBC to discover this (or maybe never discover it if the vehicle doesn't have an accident or issue that would get ICBC's attention). By the time this "inspector" gets caught he's probably passed hundreds of vehicles.
Thanks you helped me decide not to. The other guy with the civic forums just made me want to do it more, Idc about airbags, I'll cry about it when im dead.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #11
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolkim View Post
Thanks you helped me decide not to. The other guy with the civic forums just made me want to do it more, Idc about airbags, I'll cry about it when im dead.
How could my example make you want to do it more, it demonstrates the extreme lack of craftsmanship put into rebuilds. Despite the car appearing to be in perfect mechanical condition on the surface, beneath the surface their are major mechanical flaws.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #12
Banned By Establishment

So i guess you didn't buy the exact car for 13:
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showp...71&postcount=5
iamed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #13
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Telling people to never ever buy a rebuilt is extreme.
You have to make the decision yourself with as much information as you can gather.
Personally I walk away if the air bags went off. Too much at risk/potential for repercussions.

Questions I usually ask myself:
1.what kind of car is it, and how will the specific damage affect it?
ie) rear damage on a fwd is more appealing than on a rwd car.
2.cost of damage vs reduction in resale price.( is it discounted enough given the damage)
3. results of inspection by trusted mechanics (is it repaired properly? frame properly repaired? oem parts? paint quality/match?
4. how does it feel to drive compared to non-rebuilt cars of same year/make?

If its safe to drive, drive just as well as more expensive non-rebuilt cars, is just as reliable as non-rebuilt cars why not save some money and buy it? After all it will do the same job as the more expensive alternative. There might still be some little suprises even if you do your homework. Just remember that if you do sell it later your gonna have to give a massive discount just like you received.
deep87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:27 PM   #14
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
x2

Rebuilt or not, all cars have flaws. Homework needs to be done. You don't buy a $7,200 car for the price of 2,000 and expect not having to strip it to thoroughly inspect.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep87 View Post
Telling people to never ever buy a rebuilt is extreme.
You have to make the decision yourself with as much information as you can gather.
Personally I walk away if the air bags went off. Too much at risk/potential for repercussions.

Questions I usually ask myself:
1.what kind of car is it, and how will the specific damage affect it?
ie) rear damage on a fwd is more appealing than on a rwd car.
2.cost of damage vs reduction in resale price.( is it discounted enough given the damage)
3. results of inspection by trusted mechanics (is it repaired properly? frame properly repaired? oem parts? paint quality/match?
4. how does it feel to drive compared to non-rebuilt cars of same year/make?

If its safe to drive, drive just as well as more expensive non-rebuilt cars, is just as reliable as non-rebuilt cars why not save some money and buy it? After all it will do the same job as the more expensive alternative. There might still be some little suprises even if you do your homework. Just remember that if you do sell it later your gonna have to give a massive discount just like you received.
If 95% of the shops doing rebuilds are running scams, then how is it extreme to tell people to stay away?

Do you believe the average person is actually capable of determining whether the car is safe? A typical BCAA style inspection is not enough to spot problems. If a mechanic/shop figured out a way to predict future problems with vehicles, they'd be rich.

The only way a rebuild makes sense is if you're involved in the process (like 68style mentioned). This is far different than buying a rebuild that someone else finished without knowing what was really done to the car.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:17 AM   #16
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Hasn't been mentioned but another negative about buying a rebuilt is you're going to have a hard time selling it down the road. A good chunk of potential buyers won't even look at your vehicle if it has rebuilt status not to mention it greatly decreases the value of the car.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #17
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I think I'll throw this out their since a couple guys mentioned about getting parts replaced with oem parts. If you drive a high volume car like a civic. Parts like bumpers fenders or hood are all off shore parts. This is what icbc uses to fix your car. If you want oem parts, buy the policy.
Posted via RS Mobile
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #18
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,789 Times in 980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Hasn't been mentioned but another negative about buying a rebuilt is you're going to have a hard time selling it down the road. A good chunk of potential buyers won't even look at your vehicle if it has rebuilt status not to mention it greatly decreases the value of the car.
With regards to the decreased value, it shouldn't deter you from a rebuild because you would have made up for the loss in the savings from the initial purchase.

The unexpected problems and likely poor repair job should be what deters you.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:40 PM   #19
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

no noise and steering straight does NOT necessarily reflect the condition of the car
and the car was written off just because of the $9500 collision?

anyway, to inspect the car thoroughly, you need to look at other details
for eg: the weld quality, gaps between panels etc.. not just by test driving it
Y2K_o__o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:18 AM   #20
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
If 95% of the shops doing rebuilds are running scams, then how is it extreme to tell people to stay away?
I'm all for making up percentages without any evidence, and talking out of my ass at the best of times, but saying that 95% of shops out there are scammers... that's pretty extreme dude.

Personally, I know of a few quality body shops that do good work, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a car they had rebuilt from a wreck. It would depend on the damage.

EDIT: To add to that.. I would prefer a car rebuilt with front end damage (frame work at the worst) to a car that had been T-boned or rear ended, and the unibody collapsed, cut out, replaced, etc. But that's just me.

Last edited by jlenko; 03-12-2011 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Addition
jlenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:33 AM   #21
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

doesn't rebuilt mean that the there has been a claim for more than 2k on a car? it usually doesn't mean that a builder/mechanic buys them as salvage, rebuilt it, get it inspected and sells it....or does it?
Old 03-12-2011, 08:01 AM   #22
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,386 Times in 5,085 Posts
Rebuilt means it was written off by ICBC in an accident.

You know what, I agree with dangonay to a certain extent on NEWER cars........ I would say pretty much any new car (like 2004+) that has been written off had a LOT of damage and would have needed a crapload of work to be roadworthy again... so even if done properly, it's a bit of a crapshoot.

However, ICBC writes off older cars for bumper dings!!! I personally just bought a Lexus LS400 from ICBC that only has 120,000kms on it... and you know what's smashed on it? The front passenger headlight and the front passenger corner of the bumper. That's it. Are you going to tell me that it's not safe when fixed? I don't think so.......... but I see brand new CLK63 AMG's on there sometimes that the whole frontend is wiped off... that's a different story.

It really depends on every situation independant of one another.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #23
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I would never buy a rebuilt car. Rebuilders are in the business to make money. Everything on the outside looks good but its the stuff on the inside that they cheap out on. No foam cushions, rebars that should be replaced, used airbags, whatever is cheaper thats whats going on the car. There is exception to every rule though like 68style said.
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
I'm all for making up percentages without any evidence, and talking out of my ass at the best of times, but saying that 95% of shops out there are scammers... that's pretty extreme dude.
Hardly extreme. Or did you forget I used to work with ICBC and Transport Canada investigating vehicle safety? I used to deal with this stuff all the time. Regardless, I'll refine my statement if it makes you feel better: Body shops that rebuild and flip for profit are scammers. Not the same as bringing in a rebuild to a reputable shop and asking them to fix it for you.

And I'm speaking about newer cars. As 68style said, older cars can be written off for minor damage.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-12-2011, 11:57 AM   #25
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:

Spot on.
PavelGTR is offline   Reply With Quote