REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #1126
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Came across this FAQ by Washington State regarding the radiation situation in Japan. It of course relates to BC as well, so be sure to check it out if you're scurred.
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #1127
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
If Japan "deserved" the earthquake/tsunami for what they did to Pearl Harbour, what's in store for Canada for unleashing Celine Dion to the world?

WE GAVE THE WORLD JUSTIN BIEBER ..... fuuuuuu
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:21 PM   #1128

Has there been mention of the use of robots in the reactor sites given the dangerous radiation levels?

Those 50 workers that are in the vicinity, are truly heroic.
shawnly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #1129
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Anyone have the latest updates on the reactors?
ImpactZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #1130
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Another hk20000 live news delivery *chime in the HK news jingle*

Just watching LIVE on what the government is saying about the current condition at the reactors.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nhk-gtv?lang=ja_JP

there is no guarantee that 100% we can prevent a meltdown on the remaining reactors, but we are trying to stop it.

That summarizes what they are saying right now. The 4th reactor building looks very melted at this point they showed a picture. Also the central control room is now exposed to too much radiation that it is no longer possible to station men in it. It has been officially abandoned and workers are evacuated from the plant.

http://www.nikkansports.com/general/...15-748461.html

The nuclear reactor accident has now been upped to level 6 of the IAEA scale. Chernobyl was level 7. However since there's a primary containment vessel and there is an auto-off mechanism there is no risk of a chain reaction from the failure.

A proposal for helicopters to dump boric acid into the reactor is one idea being considered as authorities grapple to keep up with the unfolding crisis which followed Friday's massive earthquake and tsunami. It is already impossible to get close enough to the existing reactors to pump water the way they did.

in the morning the main gate of the plant read 600-800 milli sieverts, and then a sharp rise later (to what degree not mentioned), and then it had fallen back down. Speculation is that the explosion at reactor #2 brought the radiation away from the ground.

There is also severe fuel shortage nationwide. Many cars are abandoned for they ran to the bottom of their tanks.

Total fatalities + missing people comes to a sum total of 11,000 people. This is the first time since WW2 Japan has lost over9000 people in one single incident.
*chime the TVB jingle*

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi

Last edited by hk20000; 03-15-2011 at 06:45 PM.
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #1131
SFICC-05*

Coworker posted this this morning:

Quote:
I have just returned from a conference call held at the British Embassy in Tokyo. The call was concerning the nuclear issue in Japan. The chief spokesman was Sir. John Beddington, Chief Scientific Adviser to the UK Government, and he was joined by a number of qualified nuclear experts based in the UK. Their assessment of the current situation in Japan is as follows:

$

* In case of a 'reasonable worst case scenario' (defined as total meltdown of one reactor with subsequent radioactive explosion) an exclusion zone of 30 miles (50km) would be the maximum required to avoid affecting peoples' health. Even in a worse situation (loss of two or more reactors) it is unlikely that the damage would be significantly more than that caused by the loss of a single reactor.

$

* The current 20km exclusion zone is appropriate for the levels of radiation/risk currently experienced, and if the pouring of sea water can be maintained to cool the reactors, the likelihood of a major incident should be avoided. A further large quake with tsunami could lead to the suspension of the current cooling operations, leading to the above scenario.

$

* The bottom line is that these experts do not see there being a possibility of a health problem for residents in Tokyo. The radiation levels would need to be hundreds of times higher than current to cause the possibility for health issues, and that, in their opinion, is not going to happen (they were talking minimum levels affecting pregnant women and children - for normal adults the levels would need to be much higher still).

$

* The experts do not consider the wind direction to be material. They say Tokyo is too far away to be materially affected.

$

* If the pouring of water can be maintained the situation should be much improved after ten days, as the reactors' cores cool down.

$

* Information being provided by Japanese authorities is being independently monitored by a number of organizations and is deemed to be accurate, as far as measures of radioactivity levels are concerned.

$

* This is a very different situation from Chernobyl, where the reactor went into meltdown and the encasement, which exploded, was left to burn for weeks without any control. Even with Chernobyl, an exclusion zone of 30 miles would have been adequate to protect human health. The problem was that most people became sick from eating contaminated food, crops, milk and water in the region for years afterward, as no attempt was made to measure radioactivity levels in the food supply at that time or warn people of the dangers. The secrecy over the Chernobyl explosion is in contrast to the very public coverage of the Fukushima crisis.

$

* The Head of the British School asked if the school should remain closed. The answer was there is no need to close the school due to fears of radiation. There may well be other reasons - structural damage or possible new quakes - but the radiation fear is not supported by scientific measures, even for children.

$

* Regarding Iodine supplementation, the experts said this was only necessary for those who had inhaled quantities of radiation (those in the exclusion zone or workers on the site) or through consumption of contaminated food/water supplies. Long term consumption of iodine is, in any case, not healthy.

$

The discussion was surprisingly frank and to the point. The conclusion of the experts is that the damage caused by the earthquake and tsunami, as well as the subsequent aftershocks, was much more of an issue than the fear of radiation sickness from the nuclear plants.

$

Let's hope the experts are right!
Posted via RS Mobile
chun is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #1132
SFICC-05*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
Just watching LIVE on what the government is saying about the current condition at the reactors.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nhk-gtv?lang=ja_JP

there is no guarantee that 100% we can prevent a meltdown on the remaining reactors, but we are trying to stop it.

That summarizes what they are saying right now. The 4th reactor building looks very melted at this point they showed a picture.
I only had a minute to post my original post as I was working so please do excuse my French in the original version. Here is what I meant to say:

Excuse me kind sir, but what constitutes your definition of "very melted"? If your answer does not contain any scientific nor circumstantial support, it would be greatly appreciated if you wouldn't mind to close the device which allows your speech processes to function in order to reduce the total amount of general fecal matter within this thread.

Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by chun; 03-15-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: To be more PC
chun is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2011, 06:36 PM   #1133
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

CNN is reporting that the last 50 workers may have ceased containment operations and evacuated the plant.
jaguar604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #1134

Quote:
Originally Posted by chun View Post
Looks "very melted"? Can you please just SHUT THE FUCK UP with your bullshit in this thread?
Posted via RS Mobile

I'm tired of your fucking bullshit ok I'm just relaying the news. They showed a damn blurry picture of reactor 4 stuck on a white board they were detailing where the explosion could have happened. The latest image showed that looks like a fucking melted milk crate.

Done? fucking jump in the sea and die.

This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #1135
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
Both of you stop this shit. Take it to Fight Club if its really such an issue
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2011, 07:09 PM   #1136
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycardia! View Post
Both of you stop this shit. Take it to Fight Club if its really such an issue
but dont take the thread with you
ImpactZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #1137

so to those still scared about radiation making it here and did not click on links explaining it wont effect us or read the other posts, there was a major water based nuclear reactor conference in vancouver today and yesterday/tommorow? they interviewed one of the top respected people that was there. he had toured the sites when first built and said all the people that are panicking here are panicking for no reason. if any radiation were to even make it here it would be a non harmful amount.

Last edited by dbaz; 03-15-2011 at 07:43 PM.
dbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #1138
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

Quote:

I'm tired of your fucking bullshit ok I'm just relaying the news. They showed a damn blurry picture of reactor 4 stuck on a white board they were detailing where the explosion could have happened. The latest image showed that looks like a fucking melted milk crate.

u are not replaying the news, the fcuking news did not say "looks melted". that was your stupid opinion.
chargedpower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #1139
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chun View Post
Coworker posted this this morning:

Posted via RS Mobile
Thanks for the post; definitely reassuring. Sounds like the 50 men crew were temporarily suspended (which means the worst case scenario is more probable I guess).

I am in Aichi at the moment. Heading further SE this weekend.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:16 PM   #1140

LIVE UPDATE

The reading at 8:30 local time was 6.3~6.4 milli sieverts but at 10:30~10:45am at the latest time they have had a measurement it dropped to about 1.9 ~ 2.3 mili sieverts.

the smoke captured by NHK news helicopter this morning is now speculated to be actually coming from the reactor 3 building. However none of this is confirmed with any evidence it is just a speculation based on the most logical possibility.

On site workers are no longer present. The "reason of smoke" is undetermined.

That's what the TOPEC representative said about the situation in the past 10 minutes press conference.

Here's the released picture of #4 reactor.

It's impossible for me to screen cap everything but if you don't like the word melted how about hmmmm disintegrated? It's a word, stfu.

THIS JUST IN: Ibaraki, Saitama, Fukushima, Tochigi, Chiba prefecture JUST received a quake warning.

Last edited by hk20000; 03-15-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:43 PM   #1141
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:

And you still obviously have no *understanding* of what's going on, you're just looking at pictures that seem scary to you and extrapolating from there, "if it LOOKS bad, it must BE bad".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2011, 07:44 PM   #1142

you do realize reactor 1-3 had hydrogen explosions that would damage the buildings right? thats why you are seeing "melted" stuff
dbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:45 PM   #1143
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Can't the mods just ban access from this thread for certain people?
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2011, 07:46 PM   #1144
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/daily/english/16_25.html

"The company produced the photo at a news conference on Wednesday.

The photo, shot the day before from the northwestern side of the reactor, shows that a large portion of the building's outer wall has collapsed. There is an 8-meter hole on the 4th floor, and the interior is visible.

Another 8-meter square hole was also confirmed on the outer wall of the building. Both appeared after an explosion early on Tuesday.

An ensuing fire near the 4th floor reportedly later went out on its own."

Yeah, there were 2 fires on No.4 on Tues and Wednesday
Solo_D33A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:54 PM   #1145
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

And in Ibayaki and Chiba are currently having a earthquake

mag of 6.0~ just east of Chiba, and depth of 10km, tide change, but no tsunami
Solo_D33A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #1146
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
nice seeing that a lot of people are contributing, those twitter tweets translations are good, thanks for the link
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #1147

NHK stream is showing the magnitude of the quake right now.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #1148
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
If Japan "deserved" the earthquake/tsunami for what they did to Pearl Harbour, what's in store for Canada for unleashing Celine Dion to the world?
You'd think that what happened to Japan on August 7th, 1945 was the karma for Pearl Harbour. For Celine Dion, maybe Charlie Sheen will run to Canada for the same reason Randy Quaid did.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #1149
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

CNN is reporting now that a press conference just occurred and there was mention that the remaining 50 staff have also been evacuated from the plant. CNN is still waiting confirmation.

Edit... link to an article

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/news/int...l?cid=29698946
97ITR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #1150
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
from reuters

Quote:
Developments today:
* Workers ordered to leave the quake-damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant were allowed back in after radiation levels fell
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote