REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:11 AM   #1301
-Stare-

Thanked 8,013 Times in 648 Posts
hmm... so is that huge gundam still ok?
Advertisement
ShadowBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:11 AM   #1302
Banned (ABWS)

Anyone with a more reliable source on the spent fuel rods? All I could find was http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/-/w...major-concern/

Quote:
PARIS (AFP) - A pool containing spent fuel rods at Fukushima's No. 4 reactor "is the major concern" in Japan's nuclear crisis, presenting the risk of radioactivity being released directly into the air, a French safety agency said on Wednesday.

The deep tank at the reactor unit contains used fuel rods which are extremely radioactive and normally are kept immersed in cooling water.

Unlike the fuel rods that are used in the reactor vessel, the spent rods are not surrounded by a steel-and-concrete containment vessel, which is designed to confine leaks of radioactive gas and particles.

Instead, they are housed in the overall building covering the No. 4 unit, which has been "badly damaged," the Nuclear Safety Authority (ASN) said in a statement.

Fires broke out on Tuesday and again early Wednesday in the area of the fuel-rod pool before being extinguished, the agency said.

"The state of the fuel rods stored in this pool, which have been potentially affected by the fire, is not known," it said.

"The evaporation of water in the pool is continuing," the ASN said.

If the tanks run dry, the rods can overheat and the metal sheaths that surround the fuel can be ruptured, the ASN said.
"The Japanese authorities have consequently indicated there is the possibility of releases of radioactivity directly into the atmosphere."
hmmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:13 AM   #1303
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
^^ LOL I don't really beleive it.
I only wish people from Vancouver will act like the people in Japan now. Man even when you go slower in a line up the behind you is bitching at you ><
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:12 AM   #1304
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,776 Times in 8,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBun View Post
Sadly no, I saw a pic of it right after the earthquake happened, and it was in many pieces
Posted via RS Mobile
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:24 AM   #1305
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
This is supposed to be a photo of the downed statue. I'm personally not too sure, as the cloud pattern in the upper left corner looks cloned, and something weird with the colours just above the severed legs.

R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:26 AM   #1306
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
ManHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:39 AM   #1307
無敵

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4ever View Post
This is supposed to be a photo of the downed statue. I'm personally not too sure, as the cloud pattern in the upper left corner looks cloned, and something weird with the colours just above the severed legs.

Fake or at least not earthquake related.

Source: http://ca.gizmodo.com/5781092/giant-...-by-earthquake

On another note, Gundam designer, Ozawa Kunio tweeted a picture to encourage earthquake victims. =3

Last edited by muteki; 03-17-2011 at 01:44 AM.
muteki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2011, 01:40 AM   #1308
VLS Moderator

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. In other news, Gizmodo is still around???
Old 03-17-2011, 01:42 AM   #1309
VLS Moderator

More tsunami related artwork here: http://tsunami.cfsl.net

The Godzilla taking a bath image is a little poor taste, but some of the images are beautiful, others have a strange misunderstanding of Asian culture...
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2011, 01:44 AM   #1310
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowBun View Post
I think the officials torn it down quite a while ago.

The Gundam itself wasn't meant to be on permanent display.
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:10 AM   #1311
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuse View Post
There's a rumor that a radioactive cloud just hit California and that geiger counters are starting to go crazy in the Southwest.

Here's a live feed of a geiger counter in West LA.
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/live-r...medium=7558036

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/...,1431467.story

To put it in perspective

Although the organization has told its member countries that the first indication of radiation would hit on Friday, the plume from a North Korean nuclear test in 2006 took about two weeks to travel to North America, U.N. officials said.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:26 AM   #1312
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmmm View Post
Anyone with a more reliable source on the spent fuel rods? All I could find was http://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/-/w...major-concern/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
^^ LOL I don't really beleive it.
I only wish people from Vancouver will act like the people in Japan now. Man even when you go slower in a line up the behind you is bitching at you ><
you guys need to check out a few pages back

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
Associated Press article reposted on news1130
http://www.news1130.com/news/local/a...at-japan-plant
Quote:
US: no water in spent fuel pool at Japan plant
Japanese government denies it
The Associated Press Mar 16, 2011 13:27:53 PM

WASHINGTON (NEWS1130) - The chief of the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission said Wednesday that all the water is gone from one of the spent fuel pools at Japan's most troubled nuclear plant, but Japanese officials denied it.

If NRC Chairman Gregory Jaczko is correct, this would mean there's nothing to stop the fuel rods from getting hotter and ultimately melting down. The outer shell of the rods could also ignite with enough force to propel the radioactive fuel inside over a wide area.

Jaczko did not say Wednesday how the information was obtained, but the NRC and US Department of Energy both have experts on site at the Fukushima Daiichi complex of six reactors. He said the spent fuel pool of the complex's Unit 4 reactor has lost water.

Jaczko said officials believe radiation levels are extremely high, and that could affect workers' ability to stop temperatures from escalating.

Japan's nuclear safety agency and Tokyo Electric Power Co., which operates the complex, deny water is gone from the pool. Utility spokesman Hajime Motojuku said the "condition is stable'' at Unit 4.
ABC story with video

http://abcnews.go.com/International/...ry?id=13146516
^^ part of the reason why the paramedic team from BC left Japan and came back, they said they werent equipped to work in a radioactive environment
also why the military wasnt able to air drop acid/water onto reactor 4 due to radiation etc

but this was all news from yesterday morning so things have likely changed

Kyodo news' (japanese) current summary of the situation of the reactors
http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/79010.html
Quote:
Status of quake-stricken reactors at Fukushima nuclear power plants

TOKYO, March 17, Kyodo

The following is the known status as of Thursday evening of each of the six reactors at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant and the four reactors at the Fukushima No. 2 plant, both in Fukushima Prefecture, which were crippled by Friday's magnitude 9.0 earthquake and the ensuing tsunami.

Fukushima No. 1 plant

-- Reactor No. 1 - Suspended after quake, cooling failure, partial melting of core, vapor vented, building damaged Saturday by hydrogen explosion, seawater being pumped in.

-- Reactor No. 2 - Suspended after quake, cooling failure, seawater being pumped in, fuel rods fully exposed temporarily, vapor vented, building housing reactor damaged Monday by blast at reactor No. 3, damage to containment vessel on Tuesday, potential meltdown feared.

-- Reactor No. 3 - Suspended after quake, cooling failure, partial melting of core feared, vapor vented, seawater being pumped in, building housing reactor damaged Monday by hydrogen explosion, high-level radiation measured nearby on Tuesday, plume of smoke observed Wednesday and presumed to have come from spent-fuel storage pool, severe damage to containment vessel unlikely, seawater dumped over pool by helicopter on Thursday, spraying water at it begun from ground.

-- Reactor No. 4 - Under maintenance when quake struck, fire Tuesday possibly caused by hydrogen explosion at pool holding spent fuel rods, abnormal temperature rise in spent-fuel storage pool, fire observed Wednesday at building housing reactor, pool water level feared receding, renewed nuclear chain reaction feared.

-- Reactors Nos. 5, 6 - Under maintenance when quake struck, temperatures slightly rising in spent-fuel storage pools.

-- Spent-fuel storage pools at all reactors -- Cooling functions lost, water temperature or level unobservable at reactors No. 1 to 4.

Fukushima No. 2 plant

-- Reactors No. 1, No. 2, No. 4 - Suspended after quake, cooling failure, then cold shutdown.

-- Reactor No. 3 - Suspended after quake, cold shutdown.

==Kyodo

photographers @work

Last edited by StylinRed; 03-17-2011 at 06:34 AM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 06:32 AM   #1313
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 4,282 Times in 587 Posts
hope its gna be alright there
cliffhanger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 07:19 AM   #1314
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 4,387 Times in 1,145 Posts
Those amine tsunami help pics remind me of the marvel comics made when 9/11 happened
Posted via RS Mobile
DanHibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #1315
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Before and after photos...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/ja...eforeafter.htm
Old 03-17-2011, 10:00 AM   #1316
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,574 Times in 4,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post

http://www.latimes.com/news/science/...,1431467.story

To put it in perspective

Although the organization has told its member countries that the first indication of radiation would hit on Friday, the plume from a North Korean nuclear test in 2006 took about two weeks to travel to North America, U.N. officials said.
seems to me that guy is just doing it for the cash right now. You go to his camera and adds pop up right away. I'm sure he's getting paid large money for that. With 2000 viewers right now I'm sure he's laughing all the way to the bank.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:01 AM   #1317
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
^old pictures are old

i would love to see more rebuild pictures with a kind of b4 and after like what it looked like when tsunami/earthquake hit to what it look like after rebuilding
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #1318
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

i wonder how long japan will have to rebuild all the roads/buildings
ImpactZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #1319
I help report spam so I got this! &lt;--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
^Probably pretty fast with today's technology, experience and wealth. Not sure but I believe it took them about 10 years to rebuild Hiroshima--69% of the city was flatten by the nuke from Americans on August 1945 and then it was hit hit again with a typhoon a month later.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #1320
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
This is for Arash who clearly is having a hard time understanding whats happening in Japan right now

El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #1321
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Sadly no, I saw a pic of it right after the earthquake happened, and it was in many pieces
Posted via RS Mobile
That was a PS. The Gundam statue is perfectly fine.

Yeah, this is what we should be concerned about, the well-being of a giant robot statue.
Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #1322
Banned (ABWS)

Thierry Charles, a safety official at France's Institute for Radiological Protection and Nuclear Safety, [IRSN] said: "The next 48 hours will be decisive. I am pessimistic, because since Sunday I have seen that almost none of the solutions has worked." He described the situation as "a major risk", but added: "All is not lost, and I hope that the Japanese can find a way."

Asked about the maximum possible amount of radioactive release, he said "it would be in the same range as Chernobyl".

Francois Baroin, a French government spokesman, went further, saying: "In the worst of cases, it could have an impact worse than Chernobyl." He added: "Let's not beat about the bush. They have visibly lost the essential of control. That is our analysis, in any case, it's not what they are saying."

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Jap...464/story.html

In situations like this you have to look at what the worst case scenario could be, its an instinct that smart people have used to survive through out human existence.

I dont know about everyone else, but I have more confidence in a French radiological protection and nuclear safety official then the all knowing forum members here that release wads into tissue paper in their spare time.
Interesting site - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...US-Friday.html

Last edited by Arash; 03-17-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Arash is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #1323
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Arash I just wanted to say goodbye. It was fun having you around but in actual fact... No one is going to miss you on RS. Be sure to make a new account down the road some time when you have your kits final production done and show RS your accomplishments.

Berz out.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #1324
Banned (ABWS)

I probably wont make another account, and you can find my kit online.. its been fun
Arash is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-17-2011, 06:00 PM   #1325
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,776 Times in 8,170 Posts
OK BYE NOW
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote